Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Obama better suited to deal with Alien Invasion?

1. -11
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Funky Fin View Post
    I honestly thought this thread dealt with illegal aliens not extraterrestrial bull****. Wow people, just wow.
    Real aliens are far more threatening.
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    You're standing on my neck

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Gainesville, Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Funky Fin View Post
    I honestly thought this thread dealt with illegal aliens not extraterrestrial bull****. Wow people, just wow.
    You thought "Alien Invasion" was referring to immigrants?
    Not every human is a manipulative, opportunistic, letch... or at least that's what I'm told.
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    Doesnt play well with others

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    In a Van down by the rive
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rob19 View Post
    I think it was Michio Kaku that stated that the theory that Aliens would have to come to Earth to harvest resources is an illogical premise because the elements on Earth (water, gold, diamonds, etc) are very common elements throughout the universe that travelling all the way to Earth would be highly unnecessary. The only unique thing about Earth is Humanity.

Anyway, I'm not sure why almost all people's version of Alien contact ends with us either being eaten, enslaved, or being harvested for highly highly common 'resources'. Again, I'm guessing it's because that's how pop-culture movies have always portrayed them, or I guess it could be a fundamental fear of the unknown.

Mitt Romney would never cut any deal with no stinkin' aliens though, right lang?

I understand what your saying....but can you put proof to the bolded part? Not saying you aren't right, I'm just saying I didn't think there was any evidence one way or the other.

As to the original thread, I have ZERO doubt that Obammer would be at the advantage. He would merely try to influence said alien to vote for him, and in return, we cater to their every needs.......... I mean...isn't that already going on anyways????

---------- Post added at 12:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:49 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by JamesBW43 View Post
    You thought "Alien Invasion" was referring to immigrants?

Have you ever been to Tucson...or even here in Dallas for that matter?

The invasion has been taking place for decades..
    Quote Quote  

4. -14
    You're standing on my neck

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Gainesville, Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by The Confessor View Post
    Have you ever been to Tucson...or even here in Dallas for that matter?

The invasion has been taking place for decades..
    I've been in Miami. That said, I think the word invasion implies a malevolent intent. But I guess that's just me.
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    Soul Rebel

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by The Confessor View Post
    I understand what your saying....but can you put proof to the bolded part? Not saying you aren't right, I'm just saying I didn't think there was any evidence one way or the other.
    Well we know that we've found water on other planets in various forms whether that be liquid, solid, or gaseous. I mean, there's even frozen water on our own moon, & if I'm remembering correctly from my astronomy class we've also found water on one of Jupiter's moons. Hydrogen and Oxygen are two of the most abundant molecules in the cosmos, so it's not uncommon as maybe you think it is. As far as gold and things like that, the elements necessary for the creation of things like that are produced from the by the explosion of stars and are distributed throughout the galaxy. Anywhere that stars have exploded and scattered their enriched guts, there's going to be a rocky planet, or asteroid/comet belt near by with some of the similar elements we have on Earth. You wouldn't need to travel very far if all you're looking for is simple periodic element compounds, again I think the only unique quality to Earth is that it's the only intelligent life-harboring planet we know of yet.

Alright, here's the deal. I actually didn't want to include this one but since it's one of the most used reasons, I figured I had to at least address it. Point blank: it's retarded. Though I guess that's not enough to convince anybody, so I'll have to go more in-depth.

-sigh-

Okay, I'll be honest -- it's possible that an alien civilization might come to earth for its resources...

It just requires a bunch of assumptions about the aliens. Why? Well, let's think about it. What resources does the earth have? The first thing you might think of is water. Guess what -- water's not that rare in the universe. If you don't feel like reading the link, it basically explains that water is one of the most common molecules in the universe, probably due to the fact that both hydrogen and oxygen are fairly common. Even in our own solar system there are other sources of water.Europa, one of the Galilean moons of Jupiter has a surface almost entirely composed of water that's estimated to be 100km thick. Naturally it's frozen -at least the surface is, though it's thought that there might be either a soft ice or a liquid layer under the frozen layer due to tidal motion - because of its distance from the sun. However, I find it difficult to accept that an alien civilization capable of making the voyage to our solar system would have an issue collecting frozen water. About the only valid reason they might come to earth for water is if they decide liquid water is easier to collect and they're sufficiently advanced that even with us as potential competitors the challenge we pose (hint: none) is less than the challenge posed by collecting frozen water.

Alright, since water's not all that likely, what other resources does the earth have? Not all that many actually. There's a reason we keep hearing rumors about people wanting to mine asteroidsand comets. We've got Iron, oxygen, silicon, magnesium, sulfur, nickel, calcium, aluminum, and about 1.2% trace amounts of other elements. In space, there are asteroids composed of iron and nickel; we've gone over oxygen, silicon,is the 7th most abundant element in the universe,magnesium (8th), sulfur (10th) and aluminum (14th). Calcium -once thought to be fairly rare- is now fairly common due to its appearance in the dust left from a supernova. With all of this in mind, it really doesn't make much sense to come to earth for any of these resources, especially since most of them don't actually appear alone in nature on earth but instead as a complex molecule or alloy.

Quote Quote  

6. -16
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    For an alien invasion to occur, the aliens would have to be.

1. From a planet far outside our current research has explored.
    2. If they were that far, they would have to either built incredibly fast ships or learned to put their beings in stasis.
    3. They would have to have either a centralized government that funds science or a capitalist one where a private business sees a profit.

All reasons we would be in trouble.
    Quote Quote  

7. -17
    Soul Rebel

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Tetragrammaton View Post
    For an alien invasion to occur, the aliens would have to be.

1. From a planet far outside our current research has explored.
    2. If they were that far, they would have to either built incredibly fast ships or learned to put their beings in stasis.
    3. They would have to have either a centralized government that funds science or a capitalist one where a private business sees a profit.

All reasons we would be in trouble.
    I think it's funny you assume highly evolved beings that are thousands of years beyond our monkey capability mirror us by using government, a system of monetary exchange, and capitalism. I think you're projecting on them a sort of quasi advanced nefarious shadow human civilization. Life on other planets might not even be carbon based dude.

Here's why I think Aliens are probably benevolent. If you look at (in my opinion), who are the most highly evolved humans, Jesus, Buddha, Ramana Maharshi, Ram Dass, Maharaj Ji, etc, etc, so forth and so on, all the so called enlightened beings, they're all peaceful, they're all loving, they're all benevolent. I think if we're evolving it's towards that direction.
    Quote Quote  

8. -18
    Soul Rebel

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Don't you think it'd be a discredit to beings that are capable of intergalactic space travel to have to find themselves in the predicament that they've managed to fudge things up so bad that they need to extract a fairly common compound from the poor earthlings, or can't feed themselves so they have to travel all the way to Earth to munch on Obama?
    Quote Quote  

9. -19
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I think it's funny you assume highly evolved beings that are thousands of years beyond our monkey capability mirror us by using government, a system of monetary exchange, and capitalism. I think you're projecting on them a sort of quasi advanced nefarious shadow human civilization. Life on other planets might not even be carbon based dude.

Here's why I think Aliens are probably benevolent. If you look at (in my opinion), who are the most highly evolved humans, Jesus, Buddha, Ramana Maharshi, Ram Dass, Maharaj Ji, etc, etc, so forth and so on, all the so called enlightened beings, they're all peaceful, they're all loving, they're all benevolent. I think if we're evolving it's towards that direction.
    Death and taxes, Rob. Death and taxes are forever.

According to Prometheus, Jesus was an alien. So you might be right.
    Quote Quote  

10. -20
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Munchkin Land / Emerald C
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Don't you think it'd be a discredit to beings that are capable of intergalactic space travel to have to find themselves in the predicament that they've managed to fudge things up so bad that they need to extract a fairly common compound from the poor earthlings, or can't feed themselves so they have to travel all the way to Earth to munch on Obama?
    My point was that their machines, traveling autonomously through the galaxy would stop here among other places. This planet would have a lot of things they are looking for. Lots of life, liquid water (to be separated as fuel), and an array of minerals and elements. In terms of supplies, Earth is a gas station and Wally World. If they traveled through our solar system, they would stop here. No doubt about it.
    As you said, the hypothetical aliens may not be carbon based at all, and they may have different needs that we cannot comprehend.
    Other than gathering resources, why would enlightened aliens want to befriend humans who are only great at making war, and squandering resources, and polluting the garden that they live in. They would avoid us unless they were coming here to conquer us IMHO.

Regarding the human aliens, sometimes having new people immigrating to new countries is a great thing. Especially if they look like Salma Hayek. If a million Salma Hayek's immigrated here, even illegally, no one would complain.
    Quote Quote