Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Obama better suited to deal with Alien Invasion?

1. -21
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Munchkin Land / Emerald C
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesBW43 View Post
    I've been in Miami. That said, I think the word invasion implies a malevolent intent. But I guess that's just me.

I agree. Through out man's history, invasions have produced wars, disease, and suffering. One people invades another to take possession of their resources.
    In almost every case, it is malevolent.

Regarding Miami, generally speaking, I have no need or desire to travel west of I-95 or the Intracoastal waterway.. Too much crime, poor ugly blighted neighborhoods, homeless and poor everywhere, and if you cannot speak Spanish, you are **** out of luck. It has been reduced to Ghetto living.
    People get murdered sitting at traffic lights, stray bullets, no thanks.
    Quote Quote  

2. -22
    Soul Rebel

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    I'm not saying that it's not possible, I just think a civilization that advanced would be able to self sustain without needing to leach other planets resources. We have the same amount of water today on Earth as we did the day the atmosphere stabilized. Some of it's polluted currently, granted, due to our own fault, but like I said I think a species that advanced would be capable of self sustainment.

I also don't know they'd want to befriend us, unless as compassionate beings they want to help us progress, but I don't know that they'd want to conquer us either. I mean, what use would we be to them? Manuel labor? They can travel across the galaxy, I don't really know how much we could provide them, other than maybe in the case that they do happen to be sadistic and wish to kill/enslave us for merely whimsies sake.

I concur on your Hayek hypothesis.
    Quote Quote  

3. -23
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I can't believe you guys are posting about this crap. All I can think about right now is TOM CRUISE AND KATIE HOLMES ARE GETTING A DIVORCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am now unsure that life is worth living...
    Insert pithy saying here.

Quote Quote  

4. -24
    Doesnt play well with others

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    In a Van down by the rive
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LouPhinFan View Post
    I can't believe you guys are posting about this crap. All I can think about right now is TOM CRUISE AND KATIE HOLMES ARE GETTING A DIVORCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am now unsure that life is worth living...

Over/Under on how long till we find out that it was John Travolta that came (Literally) between them?
    Quote Quote  

5. -25
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Rumor on the web is that Tom like's to keep his tackle in his trousers. He has to keep his instrument purified.
    Quote Quote  

6. -26
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rob19 View Post
    I'm not saying that it's not possible, I just think a civilization that advanced would be able to self sustain without needing to leach other planets resources. We have the same amount of water today on Earth as we did the day the atmosphere stabilized. Some of it's polluted currently, granted, due to our own fault, but like I said I think a species that advanced would be capable of self sustainment.

I also don't know they'd want to befriend us, unless as compassionate beings they want to help us progress, but I don't know that they'd want to conquer us either. I mean, what use would we be to them? Manuel labor? They can travel across the galaxy, I don't really know how much we could provide them, other than maybe in the case that they do happen to be sadistic and wish to kill/enslave us for merely whimsies sake.

I concur on your Hayek hypothesis.

Other civilizations may have curiosity and a desire to explore....they may not need the resources, but they also may not pass up opportunity.

There are some theories that the aliens(religious deities) have been improving our DNA(by splicing in their own) and mentoring humans(leaps in science) for thousands of years. If that hypothesis could be true, why all the attention? One theory is that life may be so diverse, that it is rare to find compatible other forms of life.
    Quote Quote  

7. -27
    cowboy surfer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Los Angeles
    Thanks / No Thanks
    there is no evidence of space aliens on earth
    Quote Quote  

8. -28
    Soul Rebel

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogbone34 View Post
    there is no evidence of space aliens on earth
    Well, there could be a case made that Psilocybin mushrooms might be from outerspace.
    Quote Quote  

9. -29
    Soul Rebel

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    what the mushroom says about itself is this: That it is an extraterrestrial organism, that spores can survive the conditions of interstellar space. They are deep, deep purple - the color that they would have to be to absorb the deep ultraviolet end of the spectrum. The casing of a spore is one of the hardest organic substances known. The electron density approaches that of a metal.

Is it possible that these mushrooms never evolved on earth? That is what the stropharia cubensis itself suggests. Global currents may form on the outside of the spore. The spores are very light and by brownian motion are capable of percolation to the edge of the planet's atmosphere. Then, through interaction with energetic particles, some small number could actually escape into space. Understand that this is an evolutionary strategy where only one in many billions of spores actually makes the transition between the stars - a biological strategy for radiating throughout the galaxy without a technology. Of course this happens over very long periods of time. But if you think that the galaxy is roughly 100,000 light-years from edge to edge, if something were moving only one one-hundredth the speed of light - now that's not a tremendous speed that presents problems to any advanced technology - it could cross the galaxy in one hundred million years. There's life on this planet 1.8 billion years old; that's eighteen times longer than one hundred million years. So, looking at the galaxy on those time scales, one sees that the percolation of spores between the stars is a perfectly viable strategy for biology. It might take millions of years, but it's the same principle by which plants migrate into a desert or across an ocean.

I couldn't figure out whether the mushroom is the alien or the mushroom is some kind of technological artifact allowing me to hear the alien when the alien is actually light-years aways, using some kind of Bell non-locality principle to communicate. The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?"
    Interesting theory, to say the least
    Quote Quote  

10. -30
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rob19 View Post
    Interesting theory, to say the least
    Probably the offspring of panspermia.