Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 52 of 56 FirstFirst ... 47484950515253545556 LastLast

Thread: Why the Dolphins Can Beat the New York Jets

1. -511
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PhinzN703 View Post
    That just goes to show that acting like your team is so much better is nonsense considering the Jets had similar records to the Dolphins from 2002 until now and just happened to get into the playoffs with those records during the years when going 9-7 was good enough (whereas when the Dolphins didn't, it wasn't).
    You have ONE playoff app and ZERO playoff wins, we have 5 playoff apps and 6 playoff wins- that is a HUGE difference.

Quote Originally Posted by The New Guy View Post
    Wins aren't meaningless until you are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. The Jets started out 2-5 in 2002. They were 7-7 while the Dolphins were 9-5 in week 15. The Jets needed help to get in the playoffs and the Dolphins obliged with back to back losses to end the season. The Dolphins were in a similar position in 2005 at 7-7 in week 15 and needed help from Pitt (9-5) but didn't get the help they needed. The Dolphins were 9-6 in 2003 and needed help with a Denver loss, but didn't get it. The Jets lost their last 2 games in 2004 and needed Buff to lose to Pitt backups to clinch a spot, and they got the help they needed. The Jets were 7-7 in 2009 and were not in control of their own destiny. They not only got help from Indy not playing their starters (or game planning), but got help from the Dolphins when they ended the season with 3 straight losses. Even with all that, the Jets still needed Denver to lose in week 17 to clinch the final WC spot.

In the last decade, the Jets have gone into the final day of the regular season not knowing if they’re in or out of the playoffs 7 times. Sometimes they earned their spot on their own (like in 2001 when John Hall hit a last minute 53 yard FG to beat Oak 24-22) and other times, they got help.

The Jets have barely made the playoffs several times (2001, 2002, 2004, 2009) and the Dolphins just missed out several times. A play here or there, another win and a loss by another team, and we are having a different conversation.
    The Dolphins were 8-4 and had destiny in their hands, they lost the next 2 games to essentially get eliminated before winning their last 2 to end w/ a good record.

The Jets were back in the race by early November after the awful start in 2002, Miami in 2005 was never in the race at any point.

The jets were 10-4 in 2004 and the Bills game ended before our game in SL ended. We attempted a 50+ yd FG in OT, we never attempt that FG if we have to win that game. It gave SL great FP to kick the GW FG. All we needed was a tie, if Buf hadn't lost(to Pittsburgh 2nbd and 3rd stringers at home by the way) there's no way we attempt that FG setting up SL for the GW FG.

We earned our spot in postseason every time, we won the required # of games in those particular seasons to get in.

Miami just missed out ONCE- in 2002. In 2003 they had no shot, in 2005 they had no shot, in 2009 they needed miracles. In 2002 Miami had to win one of their last 2 and lost both while the Jets beat up NE on the road(wouldn't lose another game in Foxboro for 3 more seasons) then humiliated 12-3 GB who was fighting for homefield throughout.

The bottom line is this, the Jets have been the much better franchise in recent years and over the past decade plus. In 2002 we won 1 playoff game, that's 1 more than Miami has won since 2001.
    Quote Quote  

2. -512
    I like your style Dude

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Springfield, VA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91Tannehill 172013 Dolphins Logo
    The Jets being better isn't saying anything as we've all admitted the Dolphins suck as a franchise. Don't let that stop you from feeling so great though.

Quote Quote  

3. -513
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PhinzN703 View Post
    The Jets being better isn't saying anything as we've all admitted the Dolphins suck as a franchise. Don't let that stop you from feeling so great though.
    you think we are close and we aren't.
    Quote Quote  

4. -514
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by nyjunc View Post
    You have ONE playoff app and ZERO playoff wins, we have 5 playoff apps and 6 playoff wins- that is a HUGE difference.

The Dolphins were 8-4 and had destiny in their hands, they lost the next 2 games to essentially get eliminated before winning their last 2 to end w/ a good record.

The Jets were back in the race by early November after the awful start in 2002, Miami in 2005 was never in the race at any point.

The jets were 10-4 in 2004 and the Bills game ended before our game in SL ended. We attempted a 50+ yd FG in OT, we never attempt that FG if we have to win that game. It gave SL great FP to kick the GW FG. All we needed was a tie, if Buf hadn't lost(to Pittsburgh 2nbd and 3rd stringers at home by the way) there's no way we attempt that FG setting up SL for the GW FG.

We earned our spot in postseason every time, we won the required # of games in those particular seasons to get in.

Miami just missed out ONCE- in 2002. In 2003 they had no shot, in 2005 they had no shot, in 2009 they needed miracles. In 2002 Miami had to win one of their last 2 and lost both while the Jets beat up NE on the road(wouldn't lose another game in Foxboro for 3 more seasons) then humiliated 12-3 GB who was fighting for homefield throughout.

The bottom line is this, the Jets have been the much better franchise in recent years and over the past decade plus. In 2002 we won 1 playoff game, that's 1 more than Miami has won since 2001.
    You are so biased, it's comical. It doesn't matter what the Jets record was in early Nov. They were 7-7 in week 15 (Just like Miami in 05) and Miami was 9-5. The Jets not only needed to win their last 2 games, but they needed Miami to lose their last 2 games. In 03 Miami was 7-7 in week 15 (Just like the Jets in 02) and Pitt was 9-5. Miami needed to win their final 2 games and needed Pitt to lose their final 2 games, but they didn't get the help the Jets got in 02. Same thing in 03, but 1 week later in the season. The Dolphins were 9-6 and needed Denver to lose (Just like the Jets needed Miami to lose), but they didn't get the help they needed. You can say the Jets earned their spot by winning the required # of games, but that # would not have been good enough if not for the help of other teams losing. Miami's 05 # of wins would have been good enough had Pitt lost the final 2 games like Miami did for the Jets in 02.

It doesn't matter which games ended first. Going into week 17, the Jets needed a win to insure a playoff spot. You can say they never to this or that had Buff won, but Herm plays to win the game. I don't believe for a second that Herm plays for a tie in OT regardless of the situation. He thought they could win it with a 53 yard FG (which was Brien's long that season) and they attempted the FG. Brien was also 3 for 3 before that attempt. Even if they don't attempt the FG, who knows if the D would have been able to hold the Rams again? The Jets need a win and couldn't get it. Had Buff won, they would have eliminated the Jets from the playoffs.

The bottom line is this, the Jets have been better the last 12 years. I never said otherwise. This has been one of Miami's worst decades of football in franchise history. In contrast, it has been one of the Jets best decades in franchise history. With the Jets best decade and Miami's worst, the Jets only have 7 more regular season wins and 3 more playoff apps over 12 years. Both teams had several season in which 1 team barely qualified and the other got eliminated. A game here, or a play there and it could be the Dolphins with more playoff apps and wins over 12 years. That is pretty sad when it has been one of the worst decades for the Dolphins and one of the best for the Jets.
    Quote Quote  

5. -515
    I like your style Dude

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Springfield, VA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91Tannehill 172013 Dolphins Logo
    you think we are close and we aren't.
    Same amount of no Super Bowls in 40 years. We're exactly the same.
    Quote Quote  

6. -516
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    You are so biased, it's comical. It doesn't matter what the Jets record was in early Nov. They were 7-7 in week 15 (Just like Miami in 05) and Miami was 9-5. The Jets not only needed to win their last 2 games, but they needed Miami to lose their last 2 games. In 03 Miami was 7-7 in week 15 (Just like the Jets in 02) and Pitt was 9-5. Miami needed to win their final 2 games and needed Pitt to lose their final 2 games, but they didn't get the help the Jets got in 02. Same thing in 03, but 1 week later in the season. The Dolphins were 9-6 and needed Denver to lose (Just like the Jets needed Miami to lose), but they didn't get the help they needed. You can say the Jets earned their spot by winning the required # of games, but that # would not have been good enough if not for the help of other teams losing. Miami's 05 # of wins would have been good enough had Pitt lost the final 2 games like Miami did for the Jets in 02.

It doesn't matter which games ended first. Going into week 17, the Jets needed a win to insure a playoff spot. You can say they never to this or that had Buff won, but Herm plays to win the game. I don't believe for a second that Herm plays for a tie in OT regardless of the situation. He thought they could win it with a 53 yard FG (which was Brien's long that season) and they attempted the FG. Brien was also 3 for 3 before that attempt. Even if they don't attempt the FG, who knows if the D would have been able to hold the Rams again? The Jets need a win and couldn't get it. Had Buff won, they would have eliminated the Jets from the playoffs.

The bottom line is this, the Jets have been better the last 12 years. I never said otherwise. This has been one of Miami's worst decades of football in franchise history. In contrast, it has been one of the Jets best decades in franchise history. With the Jets best decade and Miami's worst, the Jets only have 7 more regular season wins and 3 more playoff apps over 12 years. Both teams had several season in which 1 team barely qualified and the other got eliminated. A game here, or a play there and it could be the Dolphins with more playoff apps and wins over 12 years. That is pretty sad when it has been one of the worst decades for the Dolphins and one of the best for the Jets.
    The Jets were in the race, Miami was done after losing back to back in weeks 13 & 14.

In 2005 you were nevre in the race at any moment during that season.

The LAST placed team in 2002 was 8-8, in 2003 the 3rd and 4th place teams were 6-10(who Miami beat in weeks 16 & 17), in 2005 the 3rd and 4th placed teams were 5-11 & 4-12 so it was eaiser to build up the record.

The bottom line is this, since 2002 the Jets have reached the playoffs 5 times and won 6 playoff games, Miami has reached once and won zero playoff games. You can whine about how we got in at 9-7 and you didn't but we made it 5 times compared to once. That is a HUGE difference.

This is who Miami is, since the 70s they have been getting worse every decade. near dynasty team in the 70s, made 2 SBs in the 80s, 1 title game in the 90s, 3 playoff apps total and 1 playoff win in the 00s. Each decade it gets worse and the prspects don't look great for a turnaround. What is more than likely to happen is Ireland gets fired and the new GM cleans house w/ another new HC.
    Quote Quote  

7. -517
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    The Jets were in the race, Miami was done after losing back to back in weeks 13 & 14.

In 2005 you were nevre in the race at any moment during that season.

The LAST placed team in 2002 was 8-8, in 2003 the 3rd and 4th place teams were 6-10(who Miami beat in weeks 16 & 17), in 2005 the 3rd and 4th placed teams were 5-11 & 4-12 so it was eaiser to build up the record.

The bottom line is this, since 2002 the Jets have reached the playoffs 5 times and won 6 playoff games, Miami has reached once and won zero playoff games. You can whine about how we got in at 9-7 and you didn't but we made it 5 times compared to once. That is a HUGE difference.

This is who Miami is, since the 70s they have been getting worse every decade. near dynasty team in the 70s, made 2 SBs in the 80s, 1 title game in the 90s, 3 playoff apps total and 1 playoff win in the 00s. Each decade it gets worse and the prspects don't look great for a turnaround. What is more than likely to happen is Ireland gets fired and the new GM cleans house w/ another new HC.
    The Jets were in the race at 7-7 with another team 2 games ahead, but Miami was never in the race at 7-7 with another team 2 games ahead.

I don't care who they beat. They would have won the # of games required had they got help from other teams losing like the Jets did on several occasions.

It is convenient how you leave out 2000 and 2001 which removes 2 playoff apps and 1 playoff win for the Dolphins and only 1 playoff app and no playoff wins for the Jets. I' m not whining, I'm stating facts. The Dolphins have 3 playoff apps since 2000 and missed out 3 times with 9-7 and 10-6 records. Out of the Jets 6 apps they made it twice at 9-7 and 3 times at 10-6. In the last decade, the Jets have gone into the final day of the regular season not knowing if they’re in or out of the playoffs 7 times. 4 times, they barely made it. 6 playoff apps to 3 isn't so big when 1 team barely made in 4 times and the other missed out 3 times.

Thanks for letting me know what is likely to happen with the Dolphins. I won't have to waste my time watching how the season plays out now. Weren't you also telling me that the Jets were 1 of the best teams in the league last year? Even at the mid way point in the season when the Jets were 5-3 you were still claiming the Jets were 1 of the best teams in the league. That didn't turn out to be very accurate, so I think I'll see how things play out instead.

Yes, it is who the Dolphins are with their 2 Super Bowl wins, 5 Super Bowl apps, 13 AFCE titles, and 22 playoff apps. Even with a decline, I'll take that over the Jets history any day of the week. It is nice that the Jets have had nearly 50% of their playoff apps in franchise history come in the last 12 years. I'm sure you have enjoyed it. It has been a horrible 12 years for Miami and they are only 3 playoff apps behind the Jets and missed out 3 times at 9-7 and 10-6 while the Jets barely made it 4 times. Crow all you want about how much better you think the Jets are. I don't disagree with you on them being better. Just on how much.
    Quote Quote  

8. -518
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The Jets were in the race at 7-7 with another team 2 games ahead, but Miami was never in the race at 7-7 with another team 2 games ahead.

I don't care who they beat. They would have won the # of games required had they got help from other teams losing like the Jets did on several occasions.

It is convenient how you leave out 2000 and 2001 which removes 2 playoff apps and 1 playoff win for the Dolphins and only 1 playoff app and no playoff wins for the Jets. I' m not whining, I'm stating facts. The Dolphins have 3 playoff apps since 2000 and missed out 3 times with 9-7 and 10-6 records. Out of the Jets 6 apps they made it twice at 9-7 and 3 times at 10-6. In the last decade, the Jets have gone into the final day of the regular season not knowing if they’re in or out of the playoffs 7 times. 4 times, they barely made it. 6 playoff apps to 3 isn't so big when 1 team barely made in 4 times and the other missed out 3 times.

Thanks for letting me know what is likely to happen with the Dolphins. I won't have to waste my time watching how the season plays out now. Weren't you also telling me that the Jets were 1 of the best teams in the league last year? Even at the mid way point in the season when the Jets were 5-3 you were still claiming the Jets were 1 of the best teams in the league. That didn't turn out to be very accurate, so I think I'll see how things play out instead.

Yes, it is who the Dolphins are with their 2 Super Bowl wins, 5 Super Bowl apps, 13 AFCE titles, and 22 playoff apps. Even with a decline, I'll take that over the Jets history any day of the week. It is nice that the Jets have had nearly 50% of their playoff apps in franchise history come in the last 12 years. I'm sure you have enjoyed it. It has been a horrible 12 years for Miami and they are only 3 playoff apps behind the Jets and missed out 3 times at 9-7 and 10-6 while the Jets barely made it 4 times. Crow all you want about how much better you think the Jets are. I don't disagree with you on them being better. Just on how much.
    That statement is 100% true, you think all 7-7s are the sdame? all 9-7s? Come on, you are trying your best but you can't believe that. So you think the 2008 dolphins at 11-5 were better than either of the Giants SB teams since '07 and the '10 packers who were 10-6?

I used a round # of 10 seasons but if you want to include '00 and '01:

NY Jets 6 playoff apps, 6 playoff wins
    Miami 3 playoff apps, 1 playoff win

STILL MUCH better

You can take Miami's history, that's fine. I don't dispute who has the better history but it's been a long time since Miami was consistently better than the Jets and it doesn't look like that is changing any time soon no matter how you skew the #s.
    Quote Quote  

9. -519
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    That statement is 100% true, you think all 7-7s are the sdame? all 9-7s? Come on, you are trying your best but you can't believe that. So you think the 2008 dolphins at 11-5 were better than either of the Giants SB teams since '07 and the '10 packers who were 10-6?

I used a round # of 10 seasons but if you want to include '00 and '01:

NY Jets 6 playoff apps, 6 playoff wins
    Miami 3 playoff apps, 1 playoff win

STILL MUCH better

You can take Miami's history, that's fine. I don't dispute who has the better history but it's been a long time since Miami was consistently better than the Jets and it doesn't look like that is changing any time soon no matter how you skew the #s.
    No, the statement is 100% false. I'm not talking about which 7-7 team was better based on strength of schedule, I'm talking about being in the playoff hunt. Saying the Jets were in the race at 7-7 needing 2 losses by another team is absolutely no different than the Dolphins being 7-7 needing 2 losses by another team.

Again, 6 playoff apps to 3 isn't much when 1 team missed out 3 times and the other barely made it 4 times. The playoff wins are a much bigger gap, but who know what could have happened had Miami made it a few more times? I do know the Jets have several playoff wins from years that they barely qualified. It wouldn't have taken much for the Jets to not even have the opportunity to get those playoff wins.

I haven't disputed that the Jets have been consistently better. There is no number skewing. Just facts and opinions. Things are changing with the Dolphins. Whether it results in the Dolphins being better than the Jets, I have no idea. I don't really even care. I would like my team to win a Super Bowl. I enjoy the ride that comes with playoff success, but I didn't feel any better when the Dolphins were winning some playoff games and the Jets stunk when both were sitting at home when the Super Bowl was being played. If thinking that there is an enormous gap between the Jets and Dolphins over the last 12 years makes you feel better, have at it. It has been some of the worst 12 years in Dolphins history and the Jets best, so enjoy it.
    Quote Quote  

10. -520
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    No, the statement is 100% false. I'm not talking about which 7-7 team was better based on strength of schedule, I'm talking about being in the playoff hunt. Saying the Jets were in the race at 7-7 needing 2 losses by another team is absolutely no different than the Dolphins being 7-7 needing 2 losses by another team.

Again, 6 playoff apps to 3 isn't much when 1 team missed out 3 times and the other barely made it 4 times. The playoff wins are a much bigger gap, but who know what could have happened had Miami made it a few more times? I do know the Jets have several playoff wins from years that they barely qualified. It wouldn't have taken much for the Jets to not even have the opportunity to get those playoff wins.

I haven't disputed that the Jets have been consistently better. There is no number skewing. Just facts and opinions. Things are changing with the Dolphins. Whether it results in the Dolphins being better than the Jets, I have no idea. I don't really even care. I would like my team to win a Super Bowl. I enjoy the ride that comes with playoff success, but I didn't feel any better when the Dolphins were winning some playoff games and the Jets stunk when both were sitting at home when the Super Bowl was being played. If thinking that there is an enormous gap between the Jets and Dolphins over the last 12 years makes you feel better, have at it. It has been some of the worst 12 years in Dolphins history and the Jets best, so enjoy it.
    at no point were you w/in a game of being in playoff position. We were by early November. You played the entire 2nd half w/ zero playoff pressure and you never had a shot to kep winning and get in. The situations were nothing alike.

You can whine about "barely making it" but one of our playoff apps didn't come when tom Brady missed the season so the bottom line is we have been the much better team for a long time now and when in postseason were were at least competitive.

I am enjoying it and I look forward to it continuing for a while. It sure beats not winning a playoff game since 2000 and only haveing 1 playoff app in the last decade.
    Quote Quote