Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 55 of 56 FirstFirst ... 50515253545556 LastLast

Thread: Why the Dolphins Can Beat the New York Jets

1. -541
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by The New Guy View Post
    That is so much worse than finishing 0-3 (including a loss to the awful Dolphins) with the playoffs on the line. Ross has a short track record as an owner. He was looking to make changes 2 seasons removed from an 11-5 division winning season. He made them, and we will see what happens.

Care to share what we should expect from the Jets? Another AFCCG loss?
    so far no good for Mr. Ross, and what changes did he make? did he bring in Venus & Serena's dad to co own the team?

I expect the 2010 Jets, a solid playoff team w/ a chance to do damage in January.
    Quote Quote  

2. -542
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by nyjunc View Post
    so far no good for Mr. Ross, and what changes did he make? did he bring in Venus & Serena's dad to co own the team?

I expect the 2010 Jets, a solid playoff team w/ a chance to do damage in January.
    Obviously, he got rid of Sparano and replaced him with Philbin. He tried to do that a year earlier, but Harbaugh wanted to stay in Cali. Harbaugh turned out to be a pretty good coach, so I am optimistic about Ross hiring Philbin. This team was not far away from competing for a playoff spot 2 out of the last 3 seasons. If Philbin can build on that, they should be fine. We shall see.

So, the same as what you expected in 2011 that turned out to be 8-8 and missing the playoffs.
    Quote Quote  

3. -543
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Obviously, he got rid of Sparano and replaced him with Philbin. He tried to do that a year earlier, but Harbaugh wanted to stay in Cali. Harbaugh turned out to be a pretty good coach, so I am optimistic about Ross hiring Philbin. This team was not far away from competing for a playoff spot 2 out of the last 3 seasons. If Philbin can build on that, they should be fine. We shall see.

So, the same as what you expected in 2011 that turned out to be 8-8 and missing the playoffs.
    Not far? they didn't compete in 2010 or 2011, they somewhat competed in 2009.

build on what? build on being uncompetitive and finishing tied for last? I have no problem w/ Philbin but the rosyter isn't very talented, they have the least amount of talent in the division and Philbin has to pretty much win now to save Ireland's job.
    Quote Quote  

4. -544
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Not far? they didn't compete in 2010 or 2011, they somewhat competed in 2009.

build on what? build on being uncompetitive and finishing tied for last? I have no problem w/ Philbin but the rosyter isn't very talented, they have the least amount of talent in the division and Philbin has to pretty much win now to save Ireland's job.
    Yes, not far. The Dolphins were 7-6 in week 14 both seasons with games left on the schedule they should have won. They lost close games to close out both seasons. In 2011 the Dolphins had a new OC and not a lot of time to learn with the lockout. They lost their starting QB in week 4. There were plenty of reason why the 2011 Dolphins struggled at the beginning of the season. They finished 6-3 and the only talent this team lost was Marshall. With his drops, he cost us about as many games as he helped us win IMO. We got rid of our revolving door at RT and RG. A healthy Garrard is an upgrade over Henne. There is enough talent on the current roster to compete for a playoff spot. With a new head coach and a new system, I don't think that it is realistic to expect that, but anything can happen.

Keep in mind that the Jets, with all of their superior talent, needed help winning 9 games in 2009 and won 8 games in 2011. They are also 2-4 against the team with the least amount of talent in the AFCE.
    Quote Quote  

5. -545
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

The only damage the Jets will be doing in January is to their buttholes.

9ef62a977d2786a16c583df731d46af7_large.jpeg
    Attached Images
    Quote Quote  

6. -546
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Yes, not far. The Dolphins were 7-6 in week 14 both seasons with games left on the schedule they should have won. They lost close games to close out both seasons. In 2011 the Dolphins had a new OC and not a lot of time to learn with the lockout. They lost their starting QB in week 4. There were plenty of reason why the 2011 Dolphins struggled at the beginning of the season. They finished 6-3 and the only talent this team lost was Marshall. With his drops, he cost us about as many games as he helped us win IMO. We got rid of our revolving door at RT and RG. A healthy Garrard is an upgrade over Henne. There is enough talent on the current roster to compete for a playoff spot. With a new head coach and a new system, I don't think that it is realistic to expect that, but anything can happen.

Keep in mind that the Jets, with all of their superior talent, needed help winning 9 games in 2009 and won 8 games in 2011. They are also 2-4 against the team with the least amount of talent in the AFCE.
    They lost their last 3, all to non playoff bound teams in 2009 so they were semi-close. In 2010 even if they win their last 3 they don't make the playoffs so they were nowhere near the playoff race and obviosuly last year they were out by mid october.

But the OC was the problem in '09 and '10 so the new OC should have been the difference, right?

Did the dolphins experience a lockout and not the 31 other teams?

The only talent loss was your most talented player on offense.

when's the last time Garrard was healthy?

lucky for us we got help in 2009 while Miami choked their season away.

any team can compete for a playoff spot in this era so it's not insane to think Miami could but the odds are much greater they win 6 games againthan competing for a playoff spot.

You posted all the positives but what about reggie Bush having a career year?(of course all happening when the season was lost) what about losing your best offensive player? what about matt Moore from day 1?(see Carolina 2010), what about a new coaching staff? new DC and defensive scheme? You have many more questions than answers at this point.

does funkyfin provide anything to this board?
    Quote Quote  

7. -547
    I like your style Dude

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Springfield, VA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91Tannehill 172013 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Funky Fin View Post
    The only damage the Jets will be doing in January is to their buttholes.

9ef62a977d2786a16c583df731d46af7_large.jpeg

---------- Post added at 11:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:04 AM ----------

Toilet humor from the looks of it

Quote Quote  

8. -548
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    They lost their last 3, all to non playoff bound teams in 2009 so they were semi-close. In 2010 even if they win their last 3 they don't make the playoffs so they were nowhere near the playoff race and obviosuly last year they were out by mid october.

But the OC was the problem in '09 and '10 so the new OC should have been the difference, right?

Did the dolphins experience a lockout and not the 31 other teams?

The only talent loss was your most talented player on offense.

when's the last time Garrard was healthy?

lucky for us we got help in 2009 while Miami choked their season away.

any team can compete for a playoff spot in this era so it's not insane to think Miami could but the odds are much greater they win 6 games againthan competing for a playoff spot.

You posted all the positives but what about reggie Bush having a career year?(of course all happening when the season was lost) what about losing your best offensive player? what about matt Moore from day 1?(see Carolina 2010), what about a new coaching staff? new DC and defensive scheme? You have many more questions than answers at this point.

It doesn't matter to me that the Dolphins had a better chance at making the playoffs at 7-8 in 2009 than they did at 7-8 in 2010. Each year will play out differently, but 9 wins will get you in sometimes, and 10 will usually get you in.The Jets have won more than 10 games during the regular season 4 times in franchise history. The Dolphins were not far from winning 9 / 10 games. The Dolphins won 7 games in 2009 and lost close games to Indy, Tenn, Hou, and Pitt. They won 7 games in 2010. A bad call cost them a 1 point loss to the Steelers and they lost by 3 points to Cle and Buff. They also lost another game they should have won against Det, and played Chi with Tyler Thigpen at QB. In 2011 the Dolphins only won 6 games, but they lost by 1 point to Cle, 3 points to Den, 3 points to the Giants, 1 point to Dal, and 3 points to NE. That is 5 close losses in 2011. All of that is something to build on.

The OC was a problem in 2010, but not the only problem. The Dolphins were not the only team to experience the lockout, but I don't know how many other teams had a new OC installing a new system that year that wasn't able to work with the QBs. Especially a QB that had regressed like Henne did along with a QB that was brand new to the team.

How many games was Marshall a key player in a win for the Dolphins? He is a very talented receiver, but with all the other stuff, I don't think he is a huge loss. The Dolphins won 11 games with Ginn Jr. and Camarillo as the top WRs, and Philbin says he doesn't need an alpha receiver in his system, so we will see. I believe they are going to need one of these young receivers on the roster to step up if they are going to be successful.

Garrard was healthy in 2010. (The year he made the pro bowl) He decided to take a year off and have surgery to prepare himself for 2012. With no time to learn a new system, Moore had a better season than Henne ever had. Whether Garrard or Moore starts, either is an upgrade over Henne.

Most teams have questions (including the Jets) at this point in the season. I am not the one who thinks I have the answers to how these next few seasons will play out for the Dolphins. There are plenty of reasons for optimism for the next few years. I don't expect a playoff run in Philbin's first year, but who knows? If the players click with the new system, they have enough talent to compete.

I have not read many of Funkyfin's football post. His posts in this thread are not my style, but Phinz seems to be a fan.
    Quote Quote  

9. -549
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    It doesn't matter to me that the Dolphins had a better chance at making the playoffs at 7-8 in 2009 than they did at 7-8 in 2010. Each year will play out differently, but 9 wins will get you in sometimes, and 10 will usually get you in.The Jets have won more than 10 games during the regular season 4 times in franchise history. The Dolphins were not far from winning 9 / 10 games. The Dolphins won 7 games in 2009 and lost close games to Indy, Tenn, Hou, and Pitt. They won 7 games in 2010. A bad call cost them a 1 point loss to the Steelers and they lost by 3 points to Cle and Buff. They also lost another game they should have won against Det, and played Chi with Tyler Thigpen at QB. In 2011 the Dolphins only won 6 games, but they lost by 1 point to Cle, 3 points to Den, 3 points to the Giants, 1 point to Dal, and 3 points to NE. That is 5 close losses in 2011. All of that is something to build on.

The OC was a problem in 2010, but not the only problem. The Dolphins were not the only team to experience the lockout, but I don't know how many other teams had a new OC installing a new system that year that wasn't able to work with the QBs. Especially a QB that had regressed like Henne did along with a QB that was brand new to the team.

How many games was Marshall a key player in a win for the Dolphins? He is a very talented receiver, but with all the other stuff, I don't think he is a huge loss. The Dolphins won 11 games with Ginn Jr. and Camarillo as the top WRs, and Philbin says he doesn't need an alpha receiver in his system, so we will see. I believe they are going to need one of these young receivers on the roster to step up if they are going to be successful.

Garrard was healthy in 2010. (The year he made the pro bowl) He decided to take a year off and have surgery to prepare himself for 2012. With no time to learn a new system, Moore had a better season than Henne ever had. Whether Garrard or Moore starts, either is an upgrade over Henne.

Most teams have questions (including the Jets) at this point in the season. I am not the one who thinks I have the answers to how these next few seasons will play out for the Dolphins. There are plenty of reasons for optimism for the next few years. I don't expect a playoff run in Philbin's first year, but who knows? If the players click with the new system, they have enough talent to compete.

I have not read many of Funkyfin's football post. His posts in this thread are not my style, but Phinz seems to be a fan.
    Now the line is the dolphins weren't far from winning 9/10 games? Just like the Jets weren't far from winning 13/14 games in 2010.

wow! the dolphins lost close games? you don't say? EVERY team loses close games, every team wins a few games they probably shouldn't and loses a few they probably should win. The better teams win more of those than the lesser teams.

Of course Marshall isn't a huge loss but if he was here you'd be telling me how his greatness would help you into playoff contention.

He made the PB after the '09 season throwing 15 TDs, sanchez has 26 last year and Garrad was an injury replacement. he didn't earn a PB spot.

Moore played well after the season was over just like he did in carolina in 2009.

As I said every team can hope for a playoff app, teams get good and bad quickly in this league but realistically I wouldn't expect them to make it. Hopefully for you guys and Philbin they are competitive and at least in the race or else a new regime could be coming next year.
    Quote Quote  

10. -550
    I like your style Dude

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Springfield, VA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91Tannehill 172013 Dolphins Logo
    wow! the dolphins lost close games? you don't say? EVERY team loses close games, every team wins a few games they probably shouldn't and loses a few they probably should win. The better teams win more of those than the lesser teams.
    This is true but since we're specifically talking about the Dolphins, the fact that they lost to Cleveland by 1, Denver by 3, the Giants by 3, Dallas by 1, and NE by 3 (all but Den was on the road) shows that while they weren't a good team, they're really not as far down the ladder as you claim.

I've said it before....the defense blew each of those games. McCoy threw a late TD for the win, Tebow scored 50 TDs in the 4th qtr, Manning hit Cruz for a late GW-TD, Romo drove down the field for the GW field goal with no time on the clock, and Brady and Co. came back from an early deficit. If the defense had any balls last year the Dolphins finishing 8-8 or better isn't that far-fetched.

Since they failed in all of those games I agree that they weren't a good team.

The Dolphins only had 2 close wins last year (30-23 at Buffalo, 19-17 vs. Jets). The Jets on the other hand lost by 10, 17, 9, 21, 4, 26, 15, and 2. They also had wins of 3, 6, and 4. All this means is that it could have gone either way for both teams.
    Quote Quote