Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Here's How Much The Obamacare Penalty Tax Will Cost You...

1. -11
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Munchkin Land / Emerald C
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by phins_4_ever View Post
    Shouldn't listen to Rush and co...

Here is some reading material

For the purposes of the law, you are correct.
    But, they will still go to the emergency room and get all the free care they want...right?
    You shouldn't blindly believe this administration either..
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JTC111 View Post
    The CBO estimates that only 1.2% of people will have to pay the fine. Judging from what happened in Mass., that number sounds about right.
    According to this link (liberal source)

http://fdlaction.firedoglake.com/201...lth-care-bill/

24 million will still be left uninsured. Those 24 million will be better off paying the fines.

"Politics is the Art of Looking for Trouble, Finding it Everywhere, Diagnosing it Incorrectly, and Applying the Wrong Remedies"
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LANGER72 View Post
    For the purposes of the law, you are correct.
    But, they will still go to the emergency room and get all the free care they want...right?
    You shouldn't blindly believe this administration either..
    They are doing this now. And have done this for decades. ERs can not reject patients. If you have a problem with that - fine. But don't make it a biased political issue. You are blinded by hatred.
    Quote Quote  

4. -14
    Lookin' for Lee Ho Fooks

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Kings Park, NY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolphins9954 View Post

24 million will still be left uninsured. Those 24 million will be better off paying the fines.
    FYI, FDL isn't the liberal site it was before the '08 election season. They were all in on Hillary and lost their minds when Obama won the nomination. Some of the writers on the blog have been critical of Obama from day one for that reason. So yeah, it's a liberal site, but it's a liberal site with an anti-Obama slant. Also, you have to remember that in 2010 when that article was written, the liberal left as a whole, myself included, was less than enthusiastic about the PPAFA. For many of us, the bill didn't go far enough so the anti-PPAFA material wasn't just coming from the right at that point. I'm still not in love with the bill and would have preferred going to a national healthcare system, but I'm not going to deny that there are some very good things in that bill ...things that are going to save lives.

But in response to 24 million number, it didn't happen that way in Massachusetts despite a lot of talking heads predicting a similar outcome. CBO is non-partisan and I'm going to trust their numbers over a FDL blogger.

Just to give an example of how some Hillary supporters lost it back in '08, have a look at this. This was the mindset of FDL back then. I used to read it but I gave it up by the end of '08.

Last edited by JTC111; 07-04-2012 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Added video link
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    cowboy surfer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Los Angeles
    Thanks / No Thanks
    They are doing this now. And have done this for decades. ERs can not reject patients. If you have a problem with that - fine. But don't make it a biased political issue. You are blinded by hatred.
    there we go. get it out of your system. of course anyone not supporting the democrats socialized health care power grab is evil.

and they hate puppies too.
    Last edited by Dogbone34; 07-04-2012 at 01:34 PM.
    Quote Quote  

6. -16
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolphins9954 View Post

If you have after an income of 66k only 13k left in discretionary funds then there is something definitely wrong. Bear in mind that your article added clothing costs, education and cc bills etc afterwards. Essential the assumption is that food and housing for a family of 4 cost about $53k. Let's assume the average of $1,000 to $1,500 in housing cost/month than the family of 4 eats away roughly $2000/month in food?
    What the writer also not considers is that the $5k for a family of 4 is a bargain. I would gather that the annual medical cost for a family of 4 is much higher than just $5000. A broken arm paid directly to the hospital is over $5k. Forget about medications etc.

I pay for my employees for a family of 2 $1,500 in insurance premium - A MONTH!!!! For a family of 3 it is $2,200/month. In addition to that there is a $1,500 deductible per year per insured. I pay almost 90% of that knowing that my employees don't have the funds to cover $1500 in deductible.
    Salaries in my company range from $30k/year (entry level) to $125k. For Florida standards it is good.

Over the years I always wanted to hire additional people especially in the entry level positions. But next to the salary (and other cost) the health benefits was a killer. Each employee would cost me an additional $10k. That is 1/3 of an entry level position. Now if that new employee comes with a wife and a child I literally pay twice the entry level position salary for a family of 3.

What does the ACA do for me? The tax credits I get will reduce my cost of health benefits. It will slash my cost by nearly 75% which will enable me to hire 4 new people. 4 families off well fare programs, unemployment and other government assistance will save the government thousands of dollars a month per family far outweighing the cost. But most importantly I will increase the purchasing power of 4 families pouring additional dollars into the community through purchases which in effect will increase income for other small business and increase the tax base (sales tax, income tax etc).

Now you can increase this philosophy a thousand fold across the country.

The mistake made, and I really don't know if it is a mistake or purposely spread misinformation, that the cost of the ACA equals an increase in debt is simply wrong.

Personally I am upset with the ACA because it was not as far reaching as it should be. Too many democrats let Obama hang out to dry. I expected at least a public option.
    Quote Quote  

7. -17
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogbone34 View Post
    there we go. get it out of your system. of course anyone not supping the democrats socialized health care power grab is evil.

Socialized health care power grab?

Funny stuff....
    Quote Quote  

8. -18
    Lookin' for Lee Ho Fooks

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Kings Park, NY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    "socialized health care power grab"
    I wish we'd gotten socialized healthcare but we didn't. Our healthcare is still rooted in a system whereby we pay money to private insurance companies whose primary interest is making money thereby creating a conflict of interest since the way they make the most money is by denying us coverage.

I love puppies. I have four of them.
    Quote Quote  

9. -19
    pofo mofo

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    If you have after an income of 66k only 13k left in discretionary funds then there is something definitely wrong. Bear in mind that your article added clothing costs, education and cc bills etc afterwards. Essential the assumption is that food and housing for a family of 4 cost about $53k. Let's assume the average of $1,000 to $1,500 in housing cost/month than the family of 4 eats away roughly $2000/month in food?
    What the writer also not considers is that the $5k for a family of 4 is a bargain. I would gather that the annual medical cost for a family of 4 is much higher than just $5000. A broken arm paid directly to the hospital is over $5k. Forget about medications etc.

I pay for my employees for a family of 2 $1,500 in insurance premium - A MONTH!!!! For a family of 3 it is $2,200/month. In addition to that there is a $1,500 deductible per year per insured. I pay almost 90% of that knowing that my employees don't have the funds to cover $1500 in deductible.
    Salaries in my company range from $30k/year (entry level) to $125k. For Florida standards it is good.

Over the years I always wanted to hire additional people especially in the entry level positions. But next to the salary (and other cost) the health benefits was a killer. Each employee would cost me an additional $10k. That is 1/3 of an entry level position. Now if that new employee comes with a wife and a child I literally pay twice the entry level position salary for a family of 3.

What does the ACA do for me? The tax credits I get will reduce my cost of health benefits. It will slash my cost by nearly 75% which will enable me to hire 4 new people. 4 families off well fare programs, unemployment and other government assistance will save the government thousands of dollars a month per family far outweighing the cost. But most importantly I will increase the purchasing power of 4 families pouring additional dollars into the community through purchases which in effect will increase income for other small business and increase the tax base (sales tax, income tax etc).

The mistake made, and I really don't know if it is a mistake or purposely spread misinformation, that the cost of the ACA equals an increase in debt is simply wrong.

Personally I am upset with the ACA because it was not as far reaching as it should be. Too many democrats let Obama hang out to dry. I expected at least a public option.

Could i please see a link to a reputable source that shows this reform will or could slash employers insurance costs by 75%?

I am not saying you are lying, i just do not believe ANYBODY, and frankly that sounds way out of line, the numbers do not make any sense, and when the numbers do not make any sense, it is usually BS, so please, a link.

As long as we are on this topic, i would like to ask you another thing, the real estate tax, that if i have heard things correctly, will cost home sellers 3.8% of the selling price. Is this correct, or some republican BS?

If it is right, as far as I see it, that will slow down our housing market, would it not?

You see, what Friedman said , there is NO FREE LUNCH, is one of the most blatantly true things you will ever hear.

The things you are saying do not add up, the extra revenue collected from the new group of people will never be enough to offset a ~75% savings for anyone, the money does not just magically appear, so where does it come from, I am all ears.
    Quote Quote  

10. -20
    pofo mofo

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

OMG, i just noticed the last sentence, too many democrats let Obama hang out to dry?

Are you being serious?

What the heck do you call what he did before the ball even got rolling?

Are you trying to make it seem like poor old Obama, wanted to do the right thing, but just couldn't push the good reform through?

Why don't you recant that statement, and maybe i won't throw your whole argument out the window as just another Obama campaign worker busy on the boards trying to turn the publics view on Obamacare around for the election.
    Quote Quote