Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011

Thread: Dems want 10 dollar/hour minimum wage.....

1. -101
    They looked like strong hands.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bobw999 View Post
    Most of the increases in cost of living expenses is caused by the devaluation of the dollar. Return to sound money and people will have more dollars to spend.

Regarding the minimum wage:

Laws like that are immoral. What right does the government have to tell a private business how much to pay a person? You voluntarily entered an agreement to sell your labor for a number dollars that both the employer and you agree upon. If you want to get paid $30 an hour flipping burgers, go ahead and try, but I'm sure McDonalds will find plenty of kids willing to do it for $6 or $7.
    Or illegals. Hell, they'd probably do your job for 5 bucks an hour if the government told them they could. Would it be so immoral then...?

If I could take your pain and frame it, and hang it on my wall,
    maybe you would never have to hurt again...

Quote Quote  

2. -102
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    West Palm Beach
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Locke View Post
    Or illegals. Hell, they'd probably do your job for 5 bucks an hour if the government told them they could. Would it be so immoral then...?
    Not sure how you define an illegal. The only border I know is the one that separates my property from my neighbor's property.

If someone is voluntarily willing to do a job for $5 an hour, more power to him. He's filling a need at a cost agreed between him and the employer. What is immoral is the government telling him how much his labor is actually worth. I don't see what the problem is if wages are a voluntary agreement.
    Quote Quote  

3. -103
    You're standing on my neck

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Gainesville, Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Most of the increases in cost of living expenses is caused by the devaluation of the dollar. Return to sound money and people will have more dollars to spend.

Regarding the minimum wage:

Laws like that are immoral. What right does the government have to tell a private business how much to pay a person? You voluntarily entered an agreement to sell your labor for a number dollars that both the employer and you agree upon. If you want to get paid $30 an hour flipping burgers, go ahead and try, but I'm sure McDonalds will find plenty of kids willing to do it for $6 or $7.
    Didn't watch the video yet, but iirc, average wages have been mostly stagnant for a while now while profits have been soaring.
    Not every human is a manipulative, opportunistic, letch... or at least that's what I'm told.
    Quote Quote  

4. -104
    They looked like strong hands.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Not sure how you define an illegal. The only border I know is the one that separates my property from my neighbor's property.

If someone is voluntarily willing to do a job for $5 an hour, more power to him. He's filling a need at a cost agreed between him and the employer. What is immoral is the government telling him how much his labor is actually worth. I don't see what the problem is if wages are a voluntary agreement.
    Illegal as in undocumented worker. The problem with your theory is that no one would get a decent paying job, ever, if your theory was in place. Why hire anyone but the 15 year old kids and the undocumented workers when they will work for 5 bucks an hour and everyone else wants a fair wage. It would bring the entire workforce's mean salary down. An argument could be made for the fact that at some point, even the kids and illegals will stop working for a low enough amount, but even then, that number is going to be so low, no one will be able to pay their mortgages or rent payments since no one is making more than 5-6 bucks an hour.

Ideologically, your theory holds water. In a true capitalistic economy, supply and demand would keep that pay at or near the living wage. Sadly, we live in a corporatistic economy, not a capitalistic one. Supply and demand don't work like they are supposed to anymore, especially since most jobs get shipped overseas now anyways. Like it or not, we need a federal minimum wage, barring some drastic change in economics...
    Quote Quote  

5. -105
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesBW43 View Post
    Didn't watch the video yet, but iirc, average wages have been mostly stagnant for a while now while profits have been soaring.
    Hell if the government handed me trillions then my profits would be NICE too.

I agree that CEO's, Wall Street and Banks took us all for ride with the government along with them. This debate is really about economics and the differences between local and state markets. If you really want to help people economically then support policies that strengthen the dollar. Instead of the current devaluing and inflation of it. Inflation is really the biggest culprit here. It hurts the poor more than anything. No matter what the Federal Reserve says. Inflation is a lot worse than they say it is. Sound money and fiscal policies.

"Politics is the Art of Looking for Trouble, Finding it Everywhere, Diagnosing it Incorrectly, and Applying the Wrong Remedies"
    Quote Quote  

6. -106
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    West Palm Beach
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Locke View Post
    Illegal as in undocumented worker. The problem with your theory is that no one would get a decent paying job, ever, if your theory was in place. Why hire anyone but the 15 year old kids and the undocumented workers when they will work for 5 bucks an hour and everyone else wants a fair wage. It would bring the entire workforce's mean salary down. An argument could be made for the fact that at some point, even the kids and illegals will stop working for a low enough amount, but even then, that number is going to be so low, no one will be able to pay their mortgages or rent payments since no one is making more than 5-6 bucks an hour.

Ideologically, your theory holds water. In a true capitalistic economy, supply and demand would keep that pay at or near the living wage. Sadly, we live in a corporatistic economy, not a capitalistic one. Supply and demand don't work like they are supposed to anymore, especially since most jobs get shipped overseas now anyways. Like it or not, we need a federal minimum wage, barring some drastic change in economics...
    If the 15 year old and "illegal" are the most efficient and cheapest, I don't see any thing wrong with that. If one is just going to screw around and not do their job properly, then they won't last long at that job. I doubt most professions pay minimum wage anyway. Doctors, just one example, certainly don't make minimum wage.

Of course we live in a corporatist economy, but it's due to excessive government regulations. Sure McDonalds and Walmart are able to adapt since they are multibillion dollar corporations, but it's always the small businesses that suffer.
    Quote Quote