Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.



VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 106

Thread: Dems want 10 dollar/hour minimum wage.....

  1. -11
    LouPhinFan's Avatar
    Hall Of Famer

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Sep 2006
    Posts:
    5,145
    vCash:
    8436
    Loc:
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The fact of the matter is everyday living costs are out of whack. As Disturbed points out and film maker Morgan Spurlock found out, minimum wage is too low to have a decent standard of living, at least by US standards. But jared81 is also correct, small business owners are barely getting by as well and paying their shop of, say, 40 workers $100 more a week (as rob says) is $4000 more dollars to spend a week than most of them probably have. Does Pizza Hut, BP, and Burger King have it? Of course they do but small business owners are the back bone of this country and supply the most jobs (especially in more rural areas than Miami). I wish I had an answer for this but it's a complex issue and I don't have the necessary business sense to brainstorm a way out of it.
    Insert pithy saying here.

    Quote Quote  

  2. -12
    rob19's Avatar
    Soul Rebel

    Status:
    Online
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Mar 2006
    Posts:
    7,277
    vCash:
    7214
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by LouPhinFan View Post
    $100 more a week (as rob says)
    That is assuming they work the absolute minimum wage. In Shifty's case it's only a 16$ a week raise.
    Quote Quote  

  3. -13
    jared81's Avatar
    Waterlogged

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2007
    Posts:
    4,850
    vCash:
    1097
    Loc:
    orlando
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rob19 View Post
    Okay, Obama extends Bush Tax cuts, Romney's paying 15% in federal taxes, we have some of the lowest corporate tax rates on the planet, when do we give back to the poor? Isn't that part of the whole Reaganomics deal? They scratch your back, and you scratch their's? You may or may not have a point about small business owners, I don't know enough about that to prove or disprove that, but I do know there's a heck of a lot less small business owners than there are people working minimum wage jobs; So maybe this does hurt some people, but it helps a whole heck of a lot more. I'd encourage everyone to pick up a World History book though, see what happens when the people at the top have too much and the people at the bottom too little.

    You aren't getting it. Most people are employed by small businesses (not apple, mobil, wal-mart, these huge companies ran by old white men that nancy pelosi would have you believe). These people are barely scraping by, I see it everyday. These aren't all old white men. They are young, old, black, white, Indian, hispanic, these people don't have the money to pay an additional 25% towards payroll. There are other ways to help the less fortunate then getting it off the back of small business owners. I was a kid once and worked for low wages, I worked my way up, the rest of these people can too.
    Last edited by jared81; 07-06-2012 at 10:58 AM.
    Quote Quote  

  4. -14
    JamesBW43's Avatar
    You're standing on my neck

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Nov 2005
    Posts:
    3,643
    vCash:
    4847
    Loc:
    Gainesville, Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    So what I gathered from this thread is that the last minimum wage increase caused the recession, 17 House democrats = all democrats, and a $2 bump in the minimum wage is as unrealistic as giving everyone a lamborghini.

    This is the very kind of hyperbole that makes liberals so ready to blame conservatives for not getting what they want from their party. It keeps moving the goalposts until an authoritarian moderate that seems to implement just as many conservative ideas as liberal ones (if not more) becomes the most liberal President in US history.
    Not every human is a manipulative, opportunistic, letch... or at least that's what I'm told.
    Quote Quote  

  5. -15
    jared81's Avatar
    Waterlogged

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2007
    Posts:
    4,850
    vCash:
    1097
    Loc:
    orlando
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesBW43 View Post
    So what I gathered from this thread is that the last minimum wage increase caused the recession, 17 House democrats = all democrats, and a $2 bump in the minimum wage is as unrealistic as giving everyone a lamborghini.

    This is the very kind of hyperbole that makes liberals so ready to blame conservatives for not getting what they want from their party. It keeps moving the goalposts until an authoritarian moderate that seems to implement just as many conservative ideas as liberal ones (if not more) becomes the most liberal President in US history.
    Its called sarcasm. So Obama has a history of being a moderate? He was the most liberal member of the senate before he was president. I don't believe Obama is a socialist, but I do believe people make a valid point when they call him liberal.

    I have experience with small business owners. My point is they arent all rich white people. All I was saying is raising the min wage would hurt them. It's really easy for you to talk about spending other people's money.
    Quote Quote  

  6. -16
    MadDog 88's Avatar
    Teddy Westside

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jul 2008
    Posts:
    13,104
    vCash:
    28062
    Loc:
    Wichita, Kansas
    Thanks / No Thanks
    So small businesses are going broke and the economy which started its disastrous downturn in 2002 is caused by the raise in the minimum wage in 2007? So typical of conservatives to support only what isn't beneficial to all.
    Quote Quote  

  7. -17
    Spesh's Avatar
    Fat Kid

    Status:
    Online
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2007
    Posts:
    7,900
    vCash:
    3577
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jared81 View Post
    You aren't getting it. Most people are employed by small businesses (not apple, mobil, wal-mart, these huge companies ran by old white men that nancy pelosi would have you believe). These people are barely scraping by, I see it everyday. These aren't all old white men. They are young, old, black, white, Indian, hispanic, these people don't have the money to pay an additional 25% towards payroll. There are other ways to help the less fortunate then getting it off the back of small business owners. I was a kid once and worked for low wages, I worked my way up, the rest of these people can too.
    With that logic, then we should raise the minimum wage. I mean, everyone here has seen small businesses become big ones. If they can do it, why can't other small businesses?

    And whenever i hear people point out that the poor live better here then elsewhere it brings to mind a news report in which the "reporter" angerily listed off the things the supposed poor had. They actually had the audacity to have a refrigerator! They actually had the balls to store their food in the cold, dont they know they are suppose to throw salt on it and hang it from the roof to keep the rats away! GAWD, people these days! Because, you know, we should totally be trying to emulate how third world countries(or those in the middle ages) treat their peasants....i mean poor.
    "Ignorance is not an excuse" were the words Goodell used when describing why those involved in the Saints bounty scandal would not avoid punishment.
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...ons-unanswered
    Quote Quote  

  8. -18
    DisturbedShifty's Avatar
    Wort-wort-wort!!!

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2006
    Posts:
    5,857
    vCash:
    2496
    Loc:
    Pueblo, Colorado
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Xbox LogoHalo LegendaryGalactic Empire medalPlaystation LogoNintendo Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by jared81 View Post
    I almost let bad from you until I realized you have a smartphone. You can barely eat, but at least you got 4g!
    The poor in this country live very well compared to the rest of the word.
    It's call tax returns buddy. That and my rent was raised by forty bucks back in April. Just because I have a few nice things doesn't mean I'm lying. Also, we don't have 4G where I live.

    Forgive my spelling. This was sent from my phone.
    Quote Quote  

  9. -19
    jared81's Avatar
    Waterlogged

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2007
    Posts:
    4,850
    vCash:
    1097
    Loc:
    orlando
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MadDog 88 View Post
    So small businesses are going broke and the economy which started its disastrous downturn in 2002 is caused by the raise in the minimum wage in 2007? So typical of conservatives to support only what isn't beneficial to all.
    Who said that? Do you just make this stuff up or is it just supernatural? Just because some of us have an issue with small businesses paying more money in payroll, doesn't make us heartless, racist.

    Ill turn it around on you. Why do you hate small businesses?
    Quote Quote  

  10. -20
    jared81's Avatar
    Waterlogged

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2007
    Posts:
    4,850
    vCash:
    1097
    Loc:
    orlando
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DisturbedShifty View Post
    It's call tax returns buddy. That and my rent was raised by forty bucks back in April. Just because I have a few nice things doesn't mean I'm lying. Also, we don't have 4G where I live.

    Forgive my spelling. This was sent from my phone.
    Im sorry you only have 3g, ill say a prayer for you tonight. What does having a tax return have to do with anything? It's still your money and you choose to buy a smartphone and internet service for it monthly. Yet you want to complain that you can barely eat. Only in America folks.
    Quote Quote  

Similar Threads

  1. Minimum Wage...
    By TruePoizon in forum Political | War Forum
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 09-29-2011, 03:06 PM
  2. Minimum Wage Rises 70 Cents
    By BAMAPHIN 22 in forum Political | War Forum
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-28-2008, 09:42 PM
  3. Democrats to propose new minimum wage increase to $9.50 an hour
    By Eshlemon in forum Political | War Forum
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-28-2007, 11:17 AM
  4. Bid to increase minimum wage nixed
    By BAMAPHIN 22 in forum Political | War Forum
    Replies: 136
    Last Post: 06-25-2006, 11:56 PM
  5. States Aim to Raise Minimum Wage
    By BAMAPHIN 22 in forum Political | War Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-10-2006, 01:56 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •