Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 133 of 1668 FirstFirst ... 128129130131132133134135136137138 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,330 of 16671

Thread: POFO Anything Goes Thread. ((Warning do not enter if you can't handle fire))

1. -1321
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

"Politics is the Art of Looking for Trouble, Finding it Everywhere, Diagnosing it Incorrectly, and Applying the Wrong Remedies"
    Quote Quote  

2. -1322
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolphins9954 View Post
    And the connection is what?

Edit: And what century is he even talking about? Total war as I understand it was first popularized in the 19th century.
    Quote Quote  

3. -1323
    Two Little Debbies and a cup of coffee

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Mike Wallace 112013 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    And the connection is what?

Edit: And what century is he even talking about? Total war as I understand it was first popularized in the 19th century.
    Total war so to speak has been pretty much going on since the existance of man.
    Quote Quote  

4. -1324
    More Smug than Birthday Dog

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91
    I doubt the Mongols had a central bank and they were pretty good at the total war thing in their day.

Quote Quote  

5. -1325
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WVDolphan View Post
    Total war so to speak has been pretty much going on since the existance of man.
    Sherman's famous March to the Sea in 1864 I think is considered the beginning of the modern idea of total war. Though you're right in that in ancient history the whole idea of a civilian wouldn't have made much sense. Rome's destruction of Carthage after the Third Punic War is a great example of this. But at some point the rules of war were amended -- at least in Europe -- to a strict definition of combatants and noncombatants. I don't think it would have ever occurred to William the Conqueror, for example, to raze towns, destroy crops and kill surrendering peoples, even though his ancestors were Vikings who had done that exact same thing.

But the advent of the industrial revolution, at least in my view -- I'm no military historian or anything -- changed the whole notion of civilians and combatants. It eventually became plainly evident to the North in the Civil War -- especially since they were fighting on enemy turf -- that the difference between the two sides was the relative power of industry and the general support of the local population. Destroy those two things, and victory would be swiftly achieved. Sherman was really the first to grasp this and his March -- which ran counter to the established wisdom and decorum of the time -- effectively ended the South's ability to continue the fight.

Edit: Now that I think about, I believe Ron Paul's point is that wars are so expensive they are almost always paid for with deficit spending (the alternative being to simply print money, which destroys the value of currency). I see what he's getting at, but I think he's forgetting that the model in ancient Rome, for example, that had no central bank, was a continuous policy of expansion, the goal being to control huge lands whose annual tribute would vastly outweigh the cost of armies and armaments. Not a good way to fund a public works project, if you ask me. But then again Ron Paul doesn't believe in public works projects.
    Last edited by TheWalrus; 10-10-2012 at 01:24 AM.
    Quote Quote  

6. -1326
    cowboy surfer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Los Angeles
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I think he means the establishment of the Federal Reserve in 1913.

WW1 soon after. You know the rest.
    Quote Quote  

7. -1327
    Soul Rebel

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogbone34 View Post
    I think he means the establishment of the Federal Reserve in 1913.

WW1 soon after. You know the rest.
    After a quick google search & seeing this quote came from his book "End the Fed", I think you're probably right.
    Quote Quote  

8. -1328
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    People like to say we borrow all this money from China to fund wars and government. But the reality is the overwhelming majority of that money comes from the Federal Reserve.
    Quote Quote  

9. -1329
    #freespesh

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rob19 View Post
    So strong. Guy most likely has an imbalance of some sort.

Dude gets refuted and turns into a 13 year old pre-pubescent girl.
    .....and hes back. And using my own post to justify his continued butthurtery.

I thought after he stopped posting yesterday he would have gotten the **** over it and took some perspective of his pitiful life. But apparently we gravely insulted his honor and it needs to be avenged. Youd think we talked about anally raping his crippled grandmother but i suppose questioning Romney is equally as insulting to him.
    Quote Quote  

10. -1330
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Spesh View Post
    .....and hes back. And using my own post to justify his continued butthurtery.

I thought after he stopped posting yesterday he would have gotten the **** over it and took some perspective of his pitiful life. But apparently we gravely insulted his honor and it needs to be avenged. Youd think we talked about anally raping his crippled grandmother but i suppose questioning Romney is equally as insulting to him.
    Got to let the kids play.
    Quote Quote