Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 164 of 1672 FirstFirst ... 159160161162163164165166167168169 ... LastLast
Results 1,631 to 1,640 of 16714

Thread: POFO Anything Goes Thread. ((Warning do not enter if you can't handle fire))

1. -1631
    More Smug than Birthday Dog

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91
    So theoretically if the election is decided by less than 10 electoral votes, one asshat can basically go rogue and spin the election the other way?

Quote Quote  

2. -1632
    Lumberjack Batman

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lakeland, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    The founding fathers put the electoral college into place because they were scared as **** of the people. As wealthy and well educated landowners who largely despised the common man, they wanted a buffer zone in case the people elected someone they found completely objectionable. So they created the concept of electors -- presuming the electors would be wealthy landowners like they were -- and gave those electors the ability to vote for whomever they wanted no matter what the state they came from had done.

That was the idea, anyway. I only know of one instance -- there might be others -- of an elector changing his vote, and that was when James Monroe ran the table and won every state. One elector felt that only Washington should win every vote so he defied his state and voted for the other guy. To this day I'm pretty sure only Washington has won every elector.

Anyway, yeah. It's a stupid system, and in my view has always been one. Among other things, it overvalues the small states, since every state -- no matter how small -- gets at least three electoral votes. And it renders huge swaths of the country irrelevant, and therefore ignored, every presidential election cycle.
    This is all true, but it does make the small states have some say in who the President is. Otherwise, New York and LA are basically imposing their will on the rest of the country. The system is still ****ed up, but I'm more concerned about how you're considered unelectable if you don't win Iowa or New Hampshire in the primaries than this.

Valandui's Weekly Music Video

Dub FX:
    Step On My Trip (Live)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEPEleJVjOo
    Quote Quote  

3. -1633
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerdolphin View Post
    So theoretically if the election is decided by less than 10 electoral votes, one asshat can basically go rogue and spin the election the other way?
    Every elector can vote for whoever they want. Now, they way they get chosen that doesn't tend to happen. But they're all at liberty to go rogue.
    Quote Quote  

4. -1634
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Valandui View Post
    This is all true, but it does make the small states have some say in who the President is. Otherwise, New York and LA are basically imposing their will on the rest of the country.
    Imposing their will? Let's just go to a straight up and down popular vote. Every person in every state gets an equal say. As it is, a vote in Wyoming is worth 300+ percent of an average vote relative to the electoral college while a vote in California or Texas is only worth in the low 80s of an average vote. I find it hard to see a way in which that's fair.

One person. One vote. May the best man win. No more of this haranguing over how 10,000 people in Ohio get to decide who the next president is. It's ridiculous.

The system is still ****ed up, but I'm more concerned about how you're considered unelectable if you don't win Iowa or New Hampshire in the primaries than this.
    This I agree with. I'm not sure how to fix it but it's a ridiculous system, especially since both states are like 99% white.
    Quote Quote  

5. -1635
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

I voted against evil and myself for sheriff.

"Politics is the Art of Looking for Trouble, Finding it Everywhere, Diagnosing it Incorrectly, and Applying the Wrong Remedies"
    Quote Quote  

6. -1636
    Super Moderator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Aberdeen
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Arsenal shield
    Quote Quote  

7. -1637
    #freespesh

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ROADRUNNER View Post
    Speaking of .gifs, i desperately need one of Karl Rove looking off camera clutching a pen in his hand frantically crunching the numbers while on fox news.

Terrorist attack count against the Anything Goes Thread: 2
    Quote Quote  

8. -1638
    Soul Rebel

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Spesh View Post
    Speaking of .gifs, i desperately need one of Karl Rove looking off camera clutching a pen in his hand frantically crunching the numbers while on fox news.
    If you can find me the video I could probably do it for you
    Quote Quote  

9. -1639
    Sophisticated Redneck

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    out in the Ding Weeds
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    The founding fathers put the electoral college into place because they were scared as **** of the people. As wealthy and well educated landowners who largely despised the common man, they wanted a buffer zone in case the people elected someone they found completely objectionable. So they created the concept of electors -- presuming the electors would be wealthy landowners like they were -- and gave those electors the ability to vote for whomever they wanted no matter what the state they came from had done.

That was the idea, anyway. I only know of one instance -- there might be others -- of an elector changing his vote, and that was when James Monroe ran the table and won every state. One elector felt that only Washington should win every vote so he defied his state and voted for the other guy. To this day I'm pretty sure only Washington has won every elector.

Anyway, yeah. It's a stupid system, and in my view has always been one. Among other things, it overvalues the small states, since every state -- no matter how small -- gets at least three electoral votes. And it renders huge swaths of the country irrelevant, and therefore ignored, every presidential election cycle.
    and there in lies the difference between a republic (the Untied States) and a Democracy.
    "I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally" ~ W.C. Fields

Quote Quote  

10. -1640
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I got at least 4 votes for Sheriff but it didn't show up on the tally. I claim fraud.
    Quote Quote