Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1016 of 1133 FirstFirst ... 10111012101310141015101610171018101910201021 ... LastLast
Results 10,151 to 10,160 of 11324

Thread: POFO Anything Goes Thread. ((Warning do not enter if you can't handle fire))

1. -10151
    The Fluke

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lakeland, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by COphinphan89 View Post
    I love reading comments from unsullied show watchers like this.

As sad and heart-shattering as that particular moment is going to be, that viewer is in for a very unpleasant surprise.
    Spoiler 

Valandui's Weekly Music Video

Matthew Santos: Shadows in a Shoebox
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaV9yPc_EYw
    Quote Quote  

2. -10152
    The Fluke

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lakeland, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Valandui View Post
    So, I was watching this and it struck me that so much of this could be applied to the Dolphins organization. Especially the "Terry and Gonad" sequence.

Also, Stephen Ross would be Gonad in this situation. How Carl Peterson hasn't sat him down yet and told him that his plans are idiotic is beyond me.
    Quote Quote  

3. -10153
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Speaking of Kubrick, there's this:

This month marks the fiftieth anniversary of Stanley Kubrick’s black comedy about nuclear weapons, “Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb.” Released on January 29, 1964, the film caused a good deal of controversy. Its plot suggested that a mentally deranged American general could order a nuclear attack on the Soviet Union, without consulting the President. One reviewer described the film as “dangerous … an evil thing about an evil thing.” Another compared it to Soviet propaganda.

Although “Strangelove” was clearly a farce, with the comedian Peter Sellers playing three roles, it was criticized for being implausible. An expert at the Institute for Strategic Studies called the events in the film “impossible on a dozen counts.” A former Deputy Secretary of Defense dismissed the idea that someone could authorize the use of a nuclear weapon without the President’s approval: “Nothing, in fact, could be further from the truth.” When “Fail-Safe”—a Hollywood thriller with a similar plot, directed by Sidney Lumet—opened, later that year, it was criticized in much the same way. “The incidents in ‘Fail-Safe’ are deliberate lies!” General Curtis LeMay, the Air Force chief of staff, said. “Nothing like that could happen.”

The first casualty of every war is the truth—and the Cold War was no exception to that dictum. Half a century after Kubrick’s mad general, Jack D. Ripper, launched a nuclear strike on the Soviets to defend the purity of “our precious bodily fluids” from Communist subversion, we now know that American officers did indeed have the ability to start a Third World War on their own.
    http://www.newyorker.com/online/blog...-for-real.html

I knew some of this but not all of it. Frankly it's amazing we're all still alive. I'm not sure it's a good thing that we are, to tell you the truth. We deserve worse.

Have any of you ever heard of a guy named Stanislav Petrov or the 1983 incident where a Soviet nuclear launch detection system malfunctioned? His determination that it was a malfunction and not an attack may have saved us from total goddamn planetary destruction. It's crazygonuts it has to come down to stuff like this. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanislav_Petrov
    I'm giving you a choice: either put on these glasses or start eatin' that trash can.
    Quote Quote  

4. -10154
    More Smug than Birthday Dog

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    Speaking of Kubrick, there's this:

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blog...-for-real.html

I knew some of this but not all of it. Frankly it's amazing we're all still alive. I'm not sure it's a good thing that we are, to tell you the truth. We deserve worse.

Have any of you ever heard of a guy named Stanislav Petrov or the 1983 incident where a Soviet nuclear launch detection system malfunctioned? His determination that it was a malfunction and not an attack may have saved us from total goddamn planetary destruction. It's crazygonuts it has to come down to stuff like this. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanislav_Petrov
    Ive told people my age before, and it comes off as a joke but I believe it to be true, that theres a 15-25% that **** hits the fan and we annihilate ourselves before I turn 70. I truly believe that and Im probably being conservative with the odds.

Quote Quote  

5. -10155
    Sophisticated Redneck

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    out in the Ding Weeds
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I would like to turn away from my normal "all y'all can go **** yourselves" and swing my attention to the man who deserves it the most:

Steven Ross would you please without hesitation GO **** YOURSELF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Hold My Beer and Watch This!
    Quote Quote  

6. -10156
    You're standing on my neck

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Gainesville, Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Not every human is a manipulative, opportunistic, letch... or at least that's what I'm told.
    Quote Quote  

7. -10157
    Sophisticated Redneck

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    out in the Ding Weeds
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesBW43 View Post
    I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

I woke up and started fist pumping when I heard this little punk got arrested. I tend not to be a violent man anymore in my life, at 40 I have learned temperament but I would punch this ****ing punk in the face if I was within arms distance of him.
    Quote Quote  

8. -10158
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerdolphin View Post
    Ive told people my age before, and it comes off as a joke but I believe it to be true, that theres a 15-25% that **** hits the fan and we annihilate ourselves before I turn 70. I truly believe that and Im probably being conservative with the odds.
    I think the likelihood of nuclear annihlation has steeply decreased since the 80s. I don't think its a realistic outcome any longer, at least among the superpowers. Now a terrorist group could most certainly get their hands on a bomb and smuggle it into a harbor and set if off but I don't see an actual nuclear strike carried out by a country on another as something that will happen unless it's 2 small countries like an Iran launching on Saudia Arabia or something like that. Consider it a good by product of our new globally interconnected economies. The super powers depend on each other's economies too much to launch strikes.
    Insert pithy saying here.

Quote Quote  

9. -10159
    More Smug than Birthday Dog

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LouPhinFan View Post
    I think the likelihood of nuclear annihlation has steeply decreased since the 80s. I don't think its a realistic outcome any longer, at least among the superpowers. Now a terrorist group could most certainly get their hands on a bomb and smuggle it into a harbor and set if off but I don't see an actual nuclear strike carried out by a country on another as something that will happen unless it's 2 small countries like an Iran launching on Saudia Arabia or something like that. Consider it a good by product of our new globally interconnected economies. The super powers depend on each other's economies too much to launch strikes.
    I dont think its limited to a nuclear thing. Could be any number of things that we dont even know exist yet. I dunno...seems like theres a decent chance some asshat with issues wipes us out.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10160
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LouPhinFan View Post
    I think that's right, but the main threat that's replaced the US versus Russia isn't Iran or Saudi Arabia, it's Pakistan and India. Between them they have more than 200 nuclear weapons and their absolutely virulent hatred for each other is not very well understood by the West, imo. It's not as long lasting as Middle East tensions (it dates back to the Persian conquest of India in the Middle Ages, the so-called Mughal period), but it is probably more intense. Not only that, but the US has limited political influence on either side, thanks to the billions we've been giving to the Pakistanis for years to help track down terrorists. They've basically turned around and spent all of it on armaments facing India, who mistrusts us because they are completely aware that we're arming their rival. And anyway, whatever influence we had over Pakistan (which was a mirage, anyway, tbh) totally disappeared after we killed Bin Laden.

I read a very alarming story about a year or two ago that said that in their paranoia after the Bin Laden killing the Pakistani military had taken many of their warheads and loaded them into unmarked trucks and were just driving them around randomly in case we decided to invade and capture their nuclear capacity. And I'm not talking about armed convoys here. These are solitary trucks, a few guys and a nuke, just driving around. I mean, what could go wrong?

As Pakistan becomes more and more of a rogue state this situation is probably only going to get worse rather than better. And the fear we had about Russian military stockpiles falling into the wrong hands -- I read another totally alarming anecdote about that a few years back; many, many Russian nukes went missing -- is probably even more justified in Pakistan given it's already the worst government in the world (I don't consider North Korea a government).
    Quote Quote