Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1210 of 1603 FirstFirst ... 12051206120712081209121012111212121312141215 ... LastLast
Results 12,091 to 12,100 of 16029

Thread: POFO Anything Goes Thread. ((Warning do not enter if you can't handle fire))

1. -12091
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JackFinfan View Post
    If you listen to podcasts and you enjoy history, you need to check out Dan Carlin's Hardcore History podcast. There's a multipart series on the Khans and another one on World War I. The guy's a great storyteller and he does his research.
    I finished Carlin's three part series on the Punic Wars about two weeks ago but kept forgetting to go back and find this post. I've always been interested in the Punic Wars and really enjoyed the series. So my sincere thanks.

I haven't had time to go look at the rest and see what else I want to listen to but I'll definitely be doing it in the future. Recommended to all history geeks, of which I definitely am one.

#freespesh
    Quote Quote  

2. -12092
    Ours is the fury.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Colorado Springs
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Quote  

3. -12093
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Quote  

4. -12094
    The Ghost

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lakeland, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesBW43 View Post
    And we have finally arrived. The notion that Juwan James was a reach is actually idiocy. FinHeaven hath spoken.
    Took longer than I figured it would. I still think it was a terrible pick, although Slimm's analysis does make me feel better about him as a player.

Valandui's Weekly Music Video

The Devin Townsend Project: Kingdom (Live)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jZjziohaPc
    Quote Quote  

5. -12095
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    I finished Carlin's three part series on the Punic Wars about two weeks ago but kept forgetting to go back and find this post. I've always been interested in the Punic Wars and really enjoyed the series. So my sincere thanks.

I haven't had time to go look at the rest and see what else I want to listen to but I'll definitely be doing it in the future. Recommended to all history geeks, of which I definitely am one.
    Glad you enjoyed it! I haven't listened to the Punic War one yet...heard good things about it. That and Ghosts of Ostfront (WWII Eastern Front) are on my list.
    Quote Quote  

6. -12096
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JackFinfan View Post
    Glad you enjoyed it! I haven't listened to the Punic War one yet...heard good things about it. That and Ghosts of Ostfront (WWII Eastern Front) are on my list.
    I've just always been fascinated by Carthage and the Punic Wars. Partly because so many of the primary sources for Cathaginian history were destroyed when the Romans (spoiler alert!) destroyed the city and wiped out the population, partly because the personalities involved were so dramatic and historic (Hannibal invented the pincer movement, for chrissakes), partly because I have a deep admiration for the perfection for the harbor of Carthage -- which is probably my favorite architectural feature of antiquity -- but also because it's probably the best example from the ancient world of the USA vs. Russia WWIII scenario that never came to pass: the world's two biggest powers in a fight to the death.

At the beginning of the First Punic War the leading power in the Mediterranean was not Rome, but Carthage. That made them arguably the leading power in the world at that time. By the end of the Second Punic War -- which itself lasted 20 years -- Rome had taken control and set the stage for them to become the Roman Empire. And then after the Third Punic War there was no Carthage. Rome completely erased them from existence. No Carthaginian plays remain. Nothing about their religion. Nothing about their food or their customs or even the details of their language. Nothing about their version of what happened in the wars. Nada.

Anyway I knew a lot of the background and details here and there but the podcasts filled in the gaps for me. Also I don't know about you but Carlin sounds a hell of a lot like Colin Cowherd to me. Like disturbingly like him.
    Quote Quote  

7. -12097
    You're standing on my neck

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Gainesville, Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks

Not every human is a manipulative, opportunistic, letch... or at least that's what I'm told.
    Quote Quote  

8. -12098
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I've just always been fascinated by Carthage and the Punic Wars. Partly because so many of the primary sources for Cathaginian history were destroyed when the Romans (spoiler alert!) destroyed the city and wiped out the population, partly because the personalities involved were so dramatic and historic (Hannibal invented the pincer movement, for chrissakes), partly because I have a deep admiration for the perfection for the harbor of Carthage -- which is probably my favorite architectural feature of antiquity -- but also because it's probably the best example from the ancient world of the USA vs. Russia WWIII scenario that never came to pass: the world's two biggest powers in a fight to the death.

At the beginning of the First Punic War the leading power in the Mediterranean was not Rome, but Carthage. That made them arguably the leading power in the world at that time. By the end of the Second Punic War -- which itself lasted 20 years -- Rome had taken control and set the stage for them to become the Roman Empire. And then after the Third Punic War there was no Carthage. Rome completely erased them from existence. No Carthaginian plays remain. Nothing about their religion. Nothing about their food or their customs or even the details of their language. Nothing about their version of what happened in the wars. Nada.

Anyway I knew a lot of the background and details here and there but the podcasts filled in the gaps for me. Also I don't know about you but Carlin sounds a hell of a lot like Colin Cowherd to me. Like disturbingly like him.
    I just downloaded the first 2 Khan podcasts off of iTunes. I'll see if I like it and then download the rest of the Khans if I do.
    Nearly 70% of the Earth is covered by water...the rest is covered by Gerod Holliman.

Quote Quote  

9. -12099
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Brooklyn
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hydra logo
Gift received at 05-21-2014, 12:20 PM from DisturbedShifty1972 Dolphins Logo
    Time to start getting the 2015 excuses ready, not to mention the calls for OG in the 1st next year.

http://www.finheaven.com/showthread....-of-our-Guards

Quote Quote  

10. -12100
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Also I don't know about you but Carlin sounds a hell of a lot like Colin Cowherd to me. Like disturbingly like him.
    lol, I never really noticed, but you're right.
    Quote Quote