Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 147 of 1600 FirstFirst ... 142143144145146147148149150151152 ... LastLast
Results 1,461 to 1,470 of 15994

Thread: POFO Anything Goes Thread. ((Warning do not enter if you can't handle fire))

1. -1461
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by phinfan3411 View Post
    I firmly believe both parties do this, whether or not they announce it is another issue that is completely irrelevant. It's probably why almost all of my posts are anti-partisan in direction.

You...you though want me to believe the democratic party is a lonely beacon of hope...please.
    I think this goes on for both parties, but the degree to which the Republicans did it these past 4 years were unreal.

For example, the 2001 tax cuts by Bush were passed with support of 28 Democrats in the House and 12 Democrats in the Senate. I think most people would agree that this was the # 1 priority for the Bush. Now compare this with the ACA, which is basically a Republican idea. How many Republican proposed amendments were allowed in the bill? I believe it was a good amount, yet how many Republicans voted for the bill? Not only did they not vote for it, they demonized and lied about the bill so much that even Democrats in moderate areas were scared to vote for it. With the numbers they had in the house and senate, they should have been able to pass a public option, but instead they barely were able to get a watered down Republican idea passed.
    Quote Quote  

2. -1462
    #freespesh

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Numbers alone dictate Republicans went out of their way to **** over Obama.

There is a difference between direction and degrees. All parties travel in the same direction: trying to screw over their counterparts. The degree that Republicans have gone the past few years was outstanding. This was the least productive Congress in 60 years. And the American people suffered for it.

edit:
    How asymmetrical? Get this: From the time of the invention of the cloture rule, during World War I, until the end of the Reagan administration, there were a total of 385 cloture motions filed. That's a span of about 70 years. But in the five and a half years since Republicans lost control of the Senate after the 2006 elections, there have been 359 cloture motions filed.
    In fact, today's cloture vote was on the 83rd cloture motion filed in the 112th Congress. That's the third all-time highest number of cloture motions ever filed, and it's only May. And what two Congresses are the only ones ever to see more cloture motions filed? Well, it's the last two: the 110th and 111th. The two immediately following the Republicans' loss of control of the chamber.
    http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/0...inues-unabated
    Quote Quote  

3. -1463
    pofo mofo

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    If this is meant to trick me into defending the republicans...not going to happen.

I personally see no difference between how they are acting, and the way the democrats acted as soon as Bush's approval rating went down.

You would have thought none of them were ever for the war.

This conversation will go NOWHERE.

As long as we have people that continue to give support to either of the two failed/corrupt parties and INSIST that their party isn't quite as corrupt and only interested in the minority of special interest that support them, there will be no steps forward.

Or maybe we can have a discussion on how democrats only screw you 98 times out of 100, while pubs will do it 99.5 out of 100? Gosh, sounds like an enlightening conversation.

I mean two of my favorite politicians are Democrats, Andrew Cuomo, and George Miller, and i really repect Miller, he fights for his constituents and does not worry about the consequences, but he is RARE, the party SUCKS, stop making excuses for them. When he does fight for us, his own party fights against him, along with the republicans.
    Quote Quote  

4. -1464
    Finheaven Hall of Shame

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Hotel California
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Neither one of them serves the interest of the average American.
    Quote Quote  

5. -1465
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CedarPhin View Post
    Neither one of them serves the interest of the average American.
    There's no such thing as an average American, just as there's no such thing as the political "middle." I think people assume that most moderates actually have a middle of the road position on most issues but that's not the truth at all. One moderate can have what would be considered a Republican opinion on abortion but a Democratic opinion on foreign policy and a Republican opinion on taxes but a Democratic opinion on gun rights. And then the guy right next to them, also a moderate, will be the opposite on every one of those issues! No politician is going to get both of those people to vote for them, so none of them try.

The reason political power rests in the wings is not for diabolical reasons, it's because what's considered the middle is actually a totally disorganized mess, like an army with all generals and no soldiers. The Republicans and Democrats have power because they -- and the people who vote for them -- recognize this and are willing to compromise on a few things they believe in to achieve a list of goals they consider important rather than stay 100% true to their ideals and be ineffectual.

Hunter S. Thompson puts this idea particularly well in his book on the '72 campaign, but I can't find the quote.
    Last edited by TheWalrus; 10-22-2012 at 02:26 PM.
    Quote Quote  

6. -1466
    Finheaven Hall of Shame

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Hotel California
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    There's no such thing as an average American, just as there's no such thing as the political "middle." I think people assume that most moderates actually have a middle of the road position on most issues but that's not the truth at all. One moderate can have what would be considered a Republican opinion on abortion but a Democratic opinion on foreign policy and a Republican opinion on taxes but a Democratic opinion on gun rights. And then the guy right next to them, also a moderate, will be the opposite on every one of those issues! No politician is going to get both of those people to vote for them, so none of them try.

The reason political power rests in the wings is not for diabolical reasons, it's because what's considered the middle is actually a totally disorganized mess, like an army with all generals and no soldiers. The Republicans and Democrats have power because they -- and the people who vote for them -- recognize this and are willing to compromise on a few things they believe in to achieve a list of important goals rather than stay 100% true to their ideals and be ineffectual.

Hunter S. Thompson puts this idea particularly well in his book on the '72 campaign, but I can't find the quote.
    Just seems like the R's are more concerned with the God/Jesus/Allah vote and the Dems are more concerned about getting poor people to go out and vote for them. Not to mention they're basically both serving whatever **** sandwich their special interest buddies are pushing on them in the shady street corner. One peddles the imaginary white-bearded sky god building a time machine and taking us back to the late 1700s-early 1800s, the other peddles guilt in the name of "equality". Neither one has the best interests of the country in mind, only whatever group's donating the most $$$.

Of course, I'm of the opinion that things will never really change, we'll be more or less ebbing and flowing with the same thing. With all of the partisanship that's gone on since the 2000 election, it's more or less pulled both parties to extremes. The R's are a lot of these "conservative" crazies, and the D's have become the MoveOn.org type crazies. All willing to "be tolerant" of other ideas until they disagree with them. I personally have no time for either, so that's why I mainly stick to voting on the issues. Special interests gon' special interest, and unless you can get in on that racket, it's not going to do much.

Third parties are a novel idea I suppose, but until we move to a parliamentary system that's similar to Europe, we're more or less going to be treading water in the two party system. As of now, the 3rd party's just a footnote in history, and will continue to be so until our system changes. Of course, I think Mark Sanchez has a better chance of turning into Dan Marino than us ever going to a parliamentary, proportional system, so it's fairly pointless to vote 3rd party. We're pretty much stuck with the two party system for the long haul.

All political power comes from either the barrel of guns, *****, or opium pipes, and most people seem to like it that way.
    Quote Quote  

7. -1467
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    There will never be a third party until there's enough "moderates" who all believe in the same thing to form a third party, is my point. That's what's lacking here. As long as moderates care more about their own particular plate of issues than they do about actually having power they will never have the power to see their issues served.

I agree with you that money is the big enemy here. I have stated on many occasions that my preference would be for all elections to be funded by the taxpayers. As it is right now politicians get most of their campaign money from a combination of their national party and business interests (who fund the party and the candidates directly). Why listen to or address the desires of the electorate in contrast to those interests when the voters are so easily swayed by lawn signs, TV ads and a solid get out the vote organization bought by that money?
    Quote Quote  

8. -1468
    They looked like strong hands.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks

If I could take your pain and frame it, and hang it on my wall,
    maybe you would never have to hurt again...

Quote Quote  

9. -1469
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    WTF?
    Quote Quote  

10. -1470
    More Smug than Birthday Dog

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91
    If you guys havent seen the thread in the Depths titled something like "Cedar, I hope I meet up with you one day you dumb ****", do yourselves a favor and read it

Quote Quote