Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.



VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 167 of 1535 FirstFirst ... 162163164165166167168169170171172 ... LastLast
Results 1,661 to 1,670 of 15342

Thread: POFO Anything Goes Thread. ((Warning do not enter if you can't handle fire))

  1. -1661
    Buddy's Avatar
    Starter

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    May 2004
    Posts:
    3,773
    vCash:
    14602
    Loc:
    Victoria, TX
    Thanks / No Thanks

    Re: POFO Anything Goes Thread. ((Warning do not enter if you can't handle fire))

    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    Don't listen to him, Buddy. All 9954 can do is engage in stupid false equivalencies and bring candidates down. But when asked to talk about a specific aspect of Johnson's record on it he shows just how ignorant he is on the issues he claims to care about. Hating the Republicans and the Democrats does not make you automatically interesting or relevant.

    I don't get this "anti-American" **** I see conservatives throwing around so casually right now. Do they really think the President and the new Democratic members of the Senate are actively engaging in sinister and evil activities? What a frightening vision they must have of the world, and a stupidly childish one. These are differences in policy, not in good and evil. Get over yourself.

    If anything, the "American" thing to do is to educate yourself on both sides of these arguments so you won't be so tempted to demonize the policy and the people of the other side. Propaganda feeds on ignorance, and you seem to be one of it's victims.
    I listen to everyone and do educate myself on all sides of issues as I have read everyone from Saul Alynski to Anne Coulter. That is why my beliefs don't really match either party. Every election, it is a choice between two evils and this one really sucked. I believe in small Federal Government, state's rights, very prudent fiscal policies, personal responsibility, and letting everyone do pretty much whatever they want to do as long as it doesn't affect anyone else. I think I was born about 200 years too late but I have been this way since high school. I didn't need anyone to tell me to believe anything and my beliefs don't exactly mirror anyone I know so it wasn't fully learned either.

    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Quote Quote  

  2. -1662
    Spesh's Avatar
    #freespesh

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2007
    Posts:
    8,098
    vCash:
    1471
    Thanks / No Thanks


    Looks like HatchettJack is having his semi-annual freak out. More hilarious than normal due to his nerdrage over Romney losing.
    "Ignorance is not an excuse" were the words Goodell used when describing why those involved in the Saints bounty scandal would not avoid punishment.
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...ons-unanswered

    #freespesh. Because HIPAA
    http://www.finheaven.com/showthread....e-Recap-Thread
    Quote Quote  

  3. -1663
    Locke's Avatar
    They looked like strong hands.

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Aug 2008
    Posts:
    8,842
    vCash:
    5192
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Spesh View Post


    Looks like HatchettJack is having his semi-annual freak out. More hilarious than normal due to his nerdrage over Romney losing.
    I want to plop him right in the middle of Albuquerque, randomly. The sheer number of Mexicans might make his head explode, thus ridding the world of one more waste of flesh...

    If I could take your pain and frame it, and hang it on my wall,
    maybe you would never have to hurt again...

    Quote Quote  

  4. -1664
    TheWalrus's Avatar
    1/7/14

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Dec 2011
    Posts:
    8,799
    vCash:
    34652
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    I listen to everyone and do educate myself on all sides of issues as I have read everyone from Saul Alynski to Anne Coulter. That is why my beliefs don't really match either party. Every election, it is a choice between two evils and this one really sucked. I believe in small Federal Government, state's rights, very prudent fiscal policies, personal responsibility, and letting everyone do pretty much whatever they want to do as long as it doesn't affect anyone else. I think I was born about 200 years too late but I have been this way since high school. I didn't need anyone to tell me to believe anything and my beliefs don't exactly mirror anyone I know so it wasn't fully learned either.

    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    I'm not surprised. Neither of those people speak for either of the major political parties in this country.

    I commend anyone who at least tries to look at both sides of an argument, but the way you're framing some of these issues doesn't represent an open mind.

    I mean, let's take "personal responsibility" as an example. Sounds great. I believe in personal responsibility too. I can't think of too many people who don't believe in that as a general concept. The problem is that it doesn't mean what it sounds like. Personal responsibility is Republican-speak for "the government doesn't owe the poor anything. If you're poor, it's your own fault." I don't think you can say you're looking at both sides of the argument dispassionately when you're using Republican code words like that.

    I don't think you would have fit into the mainstream 200 years ago, either, I've got to say. The Federalist/Anti-Federalist debate was alive and well then too and the Constitution was drafted as a federalist alternative to the Articles of Confederation, which had failed miserably. Washington, Adams, John Jay, Madison and Hamilton were all pretty staunch Federalists and even Jefferson violated his anti-federalist principles in acquiring the Louisiana Purchase, a contradiction he admitted at the time.

    The pendulum has swung back and forth a few times throughout US history but I'd argue our best periods have generally coincided with times in which federalism has been on the rise. History has certainly been far more kind to the Teddy Roosevelts than the Benjamin Harrisons or Calvin Coolidges, though I do think it's fair to say that historians tend to fellate the power of the presidency (which has also produced the Richard Nixons and Andrew Jacksons of our past).
    Quote Quote  

  5. -1665
    rob19's Avatar
    Soul Rebel

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Mar 2006
    Posts:
    7,374
    vCash:
    7828
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    Don't listen to him, Buddy. All 9954 can do is engage in stupid false equivalencies and bring candidates down. But when asked to talk about a specific aspect of Johnson's record on it he shows just how ignorant he is on the issues he claims to care about. Hating the Republicans and the Democrats does not make you automatically interesting or relevant.

    I don't get this "anti-American" **** I see conservatives throwing around so casually right now. Do they really think the President and the new Democratic members of the Senate are actively engaging in sinister and evil activities? What a frightening vision they must have of the world, and a stupidly childish one. These are differences in policy, not in good and evil. Get over yourself.

    If anything, the "American" thing to do is to educate yourself on both sides of these arguments so you won't be so tempted to demonize the policy and the people of the other side. Propaganda feeds on ignorance, and you seem to be one of it's victims.
    I would say unconstitutionally spying on American citizens is inherently evil. Detaining American citizens without right to trial is evil, I believe. Drone Strikes killing an estimated 2% of known terrorists to 98% civilians (mostly because of our use of 'double-tapping') is not exactly evangelical. I could go on. To say the federal government never engages in any evil or immoral activities I would say is naive.

    For me, being unconstitutionally spied upon is reason enough to not want to vote for either of the two candidates. You obviously don't feel the same; which is fine, that's your prerogative.
    Quote Quote  

  6. -1666
    tylerdolphin's Avatar
    More Smug than Birthday Dog

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Sep 2005
    Posts:
    12,537
    vCash:
    3163
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    (which has also produced the Richard Nixons and Andrew Jacksons of our past).
    I knew nothing about Andrew Jackson, but this inspired a quick some quick wiki research. Besides the whole slavery and Indian thing, looks like he was a badass. What 14 year old has the balls to tell a British officer to essentially **** off when asked to clean their boots as a POW? . Id have a beer with him.




    Quote Quote  

  7. -1667
    TheWalrus's Avatar
    1/7/14

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Dec 2011
    Posts:
    8,799
    vCash:
    34652
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerdolphin View Post
    I knew nothing about Andrew Jackson, but this inspired a quick some quick wiki research. Besides the whole slavery and Indian thing, looks like he was a badass. What 14 year old has the balls to tell a British officer to essentially **** off when asked to clean their boots as a POW? . Id have a beer with him.
    I would too, though I'd leave out that I'm half Hispanic. My main issue with Jackson stems from him dismantling the Bank of the US and plunging the country into a depression over a personal vendetta.

    Interesting human. Bad president.
    Quote Quote  

  8. -1668
    tylerdolphin's Avatar
    More Smug than Birthday Dog

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Sep 2005
    Posts:
    12,537
    vCash:
    3163
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91
    Also, to quote wiki,

    Jackson was nicknamed "Old Hickory" because of his toughness and aggressive personality; he fought in duels, some fatal to his opponents.
    You guys had a president out there dueling people? Like 1,2,3,FIRE! type duels? Thats nuts lol. I feel like the secret service today wouldnt let that fly.
    Quote Quote  

  9. -1669
    TheWalrus's Avatar
    1/7/14

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Dec 2011
    Posts:
    8,799
    vCash:
    34652
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rob19 View Post
    I would say unconstitutionally spying on American citizens is inherently evil. Detaining American citizens without right to trial is evil, I believe. Drone Strikes killing an estimated 2% of known terrorists to 98% civilians (mostly because of our use of 'double-tapping') is not exactly evangelical. I could go on. To say the federal government never engages in any evil or immoral activities I would say is naive.

    For me, being unconstitutionally spied upon is reason enough to not want to vote for either of the two candidates. You obviously don't feel the same; which is fine, that's your prerogative.
    And I would say your standards for "evil" are too low.

    You're also being too flippant with the word "unconstitutional." In some cases the legality of these laws have already been upheld, and in others is still in dispute. I disagree with them. You disagree with them. But it's not for us to render absolutist judgements on their constitutionality when neither us are even lawyers, to say nothing of being constitutional lawyers.
    Quote Quote  

  10. -1670
    JamesBW43's Avatar
    You're standing on my neck

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Nov 2005
    Posts:
    3,737
    vCash:
    5644
    Loc:
    Gainesville, Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerdolphin View Post
    Also, to quote wiki,



    You guys had a president out there dueling people? Like 1,2,3,FIRE! type duels? Thats nuts lol. I feel like the secret service today wouldnt let that fly.
    Dick Cheney might beg to differ.
    Not every human is a manipulative, opportunistic, letch... or at least that's what I'm told.
    Quote Quote  

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 6718
    Last Post: 08-08-2013, 03:17 PM
  2. Replies: 1716
    Last Post: 02-04-2008, 03:37 PM
  3. can we keep this thread alive in the PoFo?
    By Maynard the Hammer in forum Questions and Suggestions Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-12-2006, 11:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •