Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 233 of 1140 FirstFirst ... 228229230231232233234235236237238 ... LastLast
Results 2,321 to 2,330 of 11394

Thread: POFO Anything Goes Thread. ((Warning do not enter if you can't handle fire))

1. -2321
    More Smug than Birthday Dog

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    As for rob's earlier question: I don't smoke and write because I just don't like the feeling of being high. I haven't done it for years but it always made me feel really dumb, for lack of a better word. Like my brain was wrapped in a blanket. Some people get really inspired by it but that never happened to me. I know it's not just me because a bassist I was in a band with back in the day was the same way. The two of us were booze hounds, which is the way drummers and bassists should be, imo.
    I hear ya on the weed thing. Its not entirely unpleasant to me, but if Im going to do it I dont want to be around people. It just zones me out and it feels weird. Alcohol is opposite for me in that it makes me more social and allows me to have entire conversations with people who I otherwise find boring. Another think I like about booze more than weed is the control of how mild altered I am. I can have a happy hour with someone and just have a few drinks, or I can get a little drunk, or I can get hammered. My choice. I feel much different after drinking 1/4 of a bottle of bourbon than I do after a full bottle of bourbon, and I can stop at any point. With weed I can take two tokes and be ripped out my mind lol.

I havent smoked since about July or August last year and I live with one guy that smokes daily and another who smokes frequently. I just generally dont have the desire to be high.

Quote Quote  

2. -2322
    They looked like strong hands.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    I considered it. I'm not a scientist though so the clinical aspect of it wouldn't have been the best fit and the idea of having a therapy practice would have meant just too much human interaction for me. I never would have been able to find the balance between empathizing too little or too much. I can turn off the empathy when I need to but in that job you can't.
    I disagree. I find it's best to be a closed book. For example, as the newbie in my first internship, I got the "pleasure" of working with all the women with borderline personality disorder. Let me tell you, if you didn't like drinking before, a few weeks with some Borderlines and you'll be a full-blown lush. But they pretty much thrive on drama, and they got more and more histrionic the more they thought you were seeing it their way. I ended up being pretty good at working with them since I have a face that doesn't show any emotion. It kept them as level-headed as someone with a personality disorder could be. Your ability to turn on/off empathy would probably have served you well. Besides, the time I'd have to be overly empathetic would be with women, and probably after a trauma. Chances are they wouldn't want to work with a male anyways, so it's a moot point.

I hear you on the human interaction part, though. It's probably the most appealing thing about staying on as a researcher once I finish up. I'm a social person, but sometimes you just want to be left alone. If/when I end up in private practice, I'll be able to control that, though. It makes sense that you're a writer now that you mention it. You're pretty knowledgeable in pretty much most topics we talk about. I can't think of many professions that would result in a person being that well-versed in a myriad of topics. Writing is definitely one of them...

If I could take your pain and frame it, and hang it on my wall,
    maybe you would never have to hurt again...

Quote Quote  

3. -2323

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerdolphin View Post
    Finance now. I despise it.

I started out a pre-pharmacy major. I did that for a full year. Took a ton of Bio and Chem related classes. I decided I didnt like that so I went in a whole new direction with accounting and soon after that switched to Finance. I know Im going to end up doing something unrelated to my major eventually. Who knows. Im come day, go day to a fault so I honestly dont have a clue.

I could always go back to lobster fishing, realize Im too smart to be doing that ****, and get bitter at the world and develop a drinking problem to numb the reality that I never lived up to my full potential. That seems like a reasonable option now.
    If you hate it, drop it. After 4 years of teaching undergrads, that's probably the single most common piece of advice I give to students who come to me and say they just don't like the subject matter. Tell them to stop torturing themselves and do something they love. Or at least something they can stomach. I'd be miserable if I stuck with Biology. I love what I do now, with the exception of the upcoming dissertation presentation. That can do choke on a dick.

My dad owns his own plumbing business out here, and I can't even count how many times I thought about just dropping everything, getting my license, and taking on the family business. There's something satisfying about that hyper-masculine physical labor. And then just a few months ago, actually, a firefighter on the soccer team I play on suggested I do that. I was damn tempted to drop everything and do that. But I ended up deciding to finish up this program first; it seemed monumentally stupid to put 4 years into a 5 year program then just drop it. I still might do the firefighter thing once I finish up. The comradery they have is something I've missed since highschool soccer. Besides, that's pretty much the manliest profession there is. No way Nina wouldn't be ready to jump my bones every night...
    Quote Quote  

4. -2324

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Locke View Post
    If you hate it, drop it. After 4 years of teaching undergrads, that's probably the single most common piece of advice I give to students who come to me and say they just don't like the subject matter. Tell them to stop torturing themselves and do something they love. Or at least something they can stomach. I'd be miserable if I stuck with Biology. I love what I do now, with the exception of the upcoming dissertation presentation. That can do choke on a dick.

My dad owns his own plumbing business out here, and I can't even count how many times I thought about just dropping everything, getting my license, and taking on the family business. There's something satisfying about that hyper-masculine physical labor. And then just a few months ago, actually, a firefighter on the soccer team I play on suggested I do that. I was damn tempted to drop everything and do that. But I ended up deciding to finish up this program first; it seemed monumentally stupid to put 4 years into a 5 year program then just drop it. I still might do the firefighter thing once I finish up. The comradery they have is something I've missed since highschool soccer. Besides, that's pretty much the manliest profession there is. No way Nina wouldn't be ready to jump my bones every night...
    Honestly, I almost never even bothered with college. The only reason I decided to go was because I can see how my dad's body aches after years of diving and pulling lobster condos. He sat me down and told me that he is in his late 40's and every year he ages, the less adept he is at his job and sooner or later he will have to stop. He told me go to college and get a job where I can be moving up the ladder instead of the job getting harder as I get older. Worst comes to worst, I have the lobster thing to fall back on.
    Quote Quote  

5. -2325

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Saw your reference to having some surgery done in another thread Spesh. Hope you're doing well, my friend...
    Quote Quote  

6. -2326
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Locke View Post
    Saw your reference to having some surgery done in another thread Spesh. Hope you're doing well, my friend...
    Seconded.
    Quote Quote  

7. -2327
    cowboy surfer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Los Angeles
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I'm off deer antler spray........For now.

But thanks for asking.
    Quote Quote  

8. -2328
    Fat Kid

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Appreciate the concern but nothing serious. Bull**** ive had done before, think i even jumped on here after a procedure while i was still high, Rob gave me sage advice.

For whatever reason this one just knocked me out for a few days. As it was on my lower back, i was also prohibited from even sitting in a chair for a few days. And it goes without saying that the only time i type while laying down is when i cyber Lennay Kekua.

Thanks though. You bastards.
    Quote Originally Posted by finfan54 View Post
    its all right, Im a rice dick apparently.
    Quote Quote  

9. -2329

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Quote  

10. -2330
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    A person claiming to be a pastor apparently tried to stiff a waiter on a tip, explaining that their work for God absolved them of having to leave one.

A photo of the receipt, posted to Reddit.com, shows a bill for $34.93 that included an automatic 18 percent gratuity ($6.29) above a blank space for an additional tip.

"I give God 10%," the diner wrote on the receipt, scratching out the automatic tip. "Why do you get 18?" The person then wrote "Pastor" above their signature, and an emphatic "0" where the additional tip would be.

The Reddit user who submitted the image explained in the comments section that the receipt was part of a total bill of over $200 for a party of 20, which is why the gratuity was automatically added.

“Parties up to eight ... may tip whatever they’d like, but larger parties receive an automatic gratuity," the server wrote. "It’s in the computer, it’s not something I do.”

The server added: “They had no problem with my service, and told me I was great. They just didn’t want to pay when the time came.”

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow...nlwYWdl;_ylv=3

I prayed to God, "bring me more breadsticks."

But they never came.
    Quote Quote