Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 565 of 1336 FirstFirst ... 560561562563564565566567568569570 ... LastLast
Results 5,641 to 5,650 of 13358

Thread: POFO Anything Goes Thread. ((Warning do not enter if you can't handle fire))

1. -5641
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by roy_miami View Post
    I didn't notice it, if I did it would have saved me a lot of typing having to explain the back story. You do see the irony though right, or do you also scold your buddy nubbles when he gets childish with the "no thanks" feature? I would bet dollars to donuts you don't.
    Roy, I tried to welcome you to the thread. Didn't I try? Didn't I open my arms and say, hey, come on in, have a good time?

But like a dog that refuses to be housebroken, you've decided to keep ranting about thanks and no thanks in a way that's mucking up what's a very nice little corner of the internet for some of us.

So now I've got to ask you, with all the politeness and warmth of feeling that I have in me, to shut the **** up. Now.
    Last edited by TheWalrus; 05-23-2013 at 08:53 PM.
    No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible.
    Quote Quote  

2. -5642
    Archibald Meatpants

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fort lauderdale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Snakes!Dolphins HomerDolphin
    You must embrace and revel in the no thanksness. To pout about it is to dishonor all the other great no thanks artists. Any lout or vulgarian can amass cheap thanks by appealing to the masses but it takes a true artist to manipulate your contemporaries to grant the elusive no thanks. So stand up and be proud of your no thanks. Honor it like the past pioneers. Give it the respect it deserves and for the love of god please stop bitching.
    Quote Quote  

3. -5643
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    orlando
    Thanks / No Thanks
    One phrase comes to mind. "CRIPPLE FIGHT!!!!!!!!!"
    Quote Quote  

4. -5644
    Soul Rebel

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    I might be more impressed with Midnight in Paris' soundtrack than I am the movie itself.

http://www.allobo.com/en/soundtrack-...aris-2352.html
    Quote Quote  

5. -5645
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rob19 View Post
    I might be more impressed with Midnight in Paris' soundtrack than I am the movie itself.

http://www.allobo.com/en/soundtrack-...aris-2352.html
    Woody's movies are famous for having soundtracks like that. It's part of his signature. It's why When Harry Met Sally is so often thought of as a happy go lucky Woody Allen rip off, because it not only has the New York setting, the bickering couple (complete with nebbish, wise cracking man) but the jazz soundtrack, especially "It Had to be You" (which I believe has even been used by Woody before).

Not that I don't like When Harry Met Sally, because it's great.

What's so interesting to me about Midnight in Paris is that it's sort of able to celebrate the past while mocking people who celebrate the past. The key that unlocks the entire movie for me is that Gil Pender is a complete hack. Not a bad guy, just a hack, and as a result the fiction of the 20s he creates is a complete and hilarious cliche. Everyone in his fantasy acts exactly as they've been caricatured by history because Pender himself doesn't have the depth to perceive of them as people. All he can see is the romance; he understands none of the soul. As a result it's nothing but a pose for him, and he is the ultimate poseur.

That's what I meant when I said it helps to know a little about the Lost Generation, because the fact that they're painted so thinly -- from Hemingway's clipped prose to Zelda Fitzgerald's suicidal charm and on down -- helps us to understand what I think Allen is trying to say about Pender. The fact that he's instantly accepted by these imminent artistic figures and read by and praised by Gertrude Stein of all people is Allen just twisting the knife a little deeper. We are all, I think, buffoons in our fantasies. But Pender's fantasies are even a higher form of buffoonery than usual. This is, at the end of the day, a very shallow man who's daydreams are part wish fulfillment and part psychotherapy, and his "big realization" at the end that you have to live in your own time is a step in the right direction, but it's also a recognition of the obvious, like saying you shouldn't run into walls with your head.

What's great though is that Allen himself is sort of a non-moron version of Pender. His movies, as I said, are filled with jazz standards. Stylistically he's incredibly old fashioned. Static cameras, tons of dialogue, even black and white when he can get away with it. So I think he's sort of outing himself as a buffoon here, too, making movies and hoping the Ingmar Bergman in his head approves of them. Though of course Allen -- unlike Pender -- would never assume his work would be praised by his idols.

The casting of Owen Wilson I think was key. Allen himself is too self aware, too obviously intelligent, to have played any number of those scenes without sarcasm or irony. It's why his performance in "The Front" doesn't quite work for me. Not that Wilson comes off as dumb, but he has one of those open faces that can just accept things at face value, which is exactly what the role needed.
    Last edited by TheWalrus; 05-24-2013 at 10:00 AM.
    Quote Quote  

6. -5646
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Brooklyn
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hydra logo
Gift received at 05-21-2014, 12:20 PM from DisturbedShifty1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by roy_miami View Post
    I didn't notice it, if I did it would have saved me a lot of typing having to explain the back story. You do see the irony though right, or do you also scold your buddy nubbles when he gets childish with the "no thanks" feature? I would bet dollars to donuts you don't.
    You don't quite get it do you? I didn't give you the neg rep that's pissed you off so much for giving somebody "No Thanks." I gave it to you for stalking somebody around doing the same simply because they didn't like your posts. The ones you gave had nothing to do with the posts themselves. They were just you being a bitch. Rep, on the other hand, goes beyond an individual post. It goes towards a poster in general. The rep I gave you was fitting, considering you're a bitch. Quit crying about it.

As for Nublar, I've probably given him more "No Thanks" than you ever will, but for the content of his posts, which I quite often disagree with; so you're heading down the wrong track with that one.

Quote Quote  

7. -5647
    cowboy surfer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Los Angeles
    Thanks / No Thanks
    really, unless your posting photos, nobody cares what you have to say in the ladies lounge
    Quote Quote  

8. -5648
    Fat Kid

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3331350.html

What politicians could learn from Arrested Development. And there are more in the link.
    "I'm not here to be a distraction," Pouncey said.
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10...ogical-testing
    Quote Quote  

9. -5649
    They looked like strong hands.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Spesh View Post

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3331350.html

What politicians could learn from Arrested Development. And there are more in the link.
    Nina and I are going to the Albuquerque wine festival on Sunday, then coming home and watching the **** out of season 4. Oh, and Game of Thrones is going to be on too. Least productive Sunday ever...

If I could take your pain and frame it, and hang it on my wall,
    maybe you would never have to hurt again...

Quote Quote  

10. -5650
    Fat Kid

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Locke View Post
    Nina and I are going to the Albuquerque wine festival on Sunday, then coming home and watching the **** out of season 4. Oh, and Game of Thrones is going to be on too. Least productive Sunday ever...
    Strongly considering pulling an all nighter tommorow. Havent made up my mind, it does start at 3 am est. Either way, im not getting a damn thing done sunday as well.
    Quote Quote