Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 589 of 1517 FirstFirst ... 584585586587588589590591592593594 ... LastLast
Results 5,881 to 5,890 of 15161

Thread: POFO Anything Goes Thread. ((Warning do not enter if you can't handle fire))

1. -5881
    Archibald Meatpants

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fort lauderdale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Snakes!Dolphins HomerDolphin
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    Yeah. Just the one time, though.
    I've seen some of the most well known film noir movies such as the Maltese falcon, the big sleep and the third man(don't think key largo counts) but have also not seen some of the highest rated ones such as double indemnity and sunset blvd. I should just do a Netflix film noir marathon for a couple of weeks.
    Quote Quote  

2. -5882
    Teddy Westside

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Wichita, Kansas
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Probably. But... what can ya do?
    I base it solely on psychotic look which that bitch scared the bejesus out of me.
    Quote Quote  

3. -5883
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry_Bagpipe View Post
    I've seen some of the most well known film noir movies such as the Maltese falcon, the big sleep and the third man(don't think key largo counts) but have also not seen some of the highest rated ones such as double indemnity and sunset blvd. I should just do a Netflix film noir marathon for a couple of weeks.
    I'm not an expert's expert on film noir but I know the genre pretty darn well. Double Indemnity and Sunset Boulevard are great ones to start with (both by Billy Wilder, by the way, who's right up there in my favorite filmmakers). Some of the best noirs to me are foreign ones, especially by Jean-Pierre Melville, who I think pretty much mastered the crime genre. But just staying with American noirs of the WWII and post WWII era, I'd go with:

Ace in the Hole: Funnily enough, another Billy Wilder movie. Just rewatched this for the first time in maybe five years last night. Hence my sig. It's the story of a disgraced, amoral journalist (Kirk Douglas) who takes a job in a New Mexico backwater. When by chance he finds out a man is stuck in a cave he manipulates the circumstances -- including trying to prevent the guy from getting out -- to make the story huge and himself famous so he can land a job in New York again. In it's acid, cynical take on human nature Ace in the Hole belongs in the same company with classics like Paths of Glory and Network. It was so brutally negative about human nature it actually ended up being a spectacular failure at the box office, but has been rediscovered critically in recent years as the truth has moved closer to fiction. Truly, a knockout.

The Roaring Twenties: Needed at least one James Cagney movie on here, and this one's my favorite (over White Heat, a close second). This story of a basically good guy who gets mixed up in bootlegging and racketeering and becomes a bad guy was the chief inspiration for Goodfellas, according to Martin Scorsese. Co-stars Humphrey Bogart.

The Narrow Margin: A lot of noirs -- most of the real ones, anyway -- are short and punchy. Like this 72 minute classic from 1952 starring noir staple Charles McGraw. The story of a cop who's transporting a bitchy gangster's wife on a train full of assassins out to kill her, the Narrow Margin is like a fine watch. Everything just sort of clicks together wonderfully. Not, you know, an in-depth examination of the human condition, but fun and suspenseful. A film nerd's idea of a breezy afternoon movie.

Night and the City: I love Jules Dassin. He made three great noirs, two in English (this one and The Naked City, one of the first movies shot on location in New York) as well as one of the definitive heist movies -- Riffifi -- in France after that callous **** Elia Kazan ratted him out to HUAC. Night and the City was actually shot in London, where Dassin fled initially. Anyway, it's the story of a low level hustler -- Richard Widmark at his weaselly best -- who tries to break into the London wrestling promotion game, which is dominated by a chilling Herbert Lom (miles away from Inspector Dreyfuss ). Widmark tries and tries, **** that he is, but the establishment is the establishment for a reason, and he's in over his head. The movie contains what is -- for me -- the greatest fight scene in the history of the movies. Not the most technically proficient or best shot. But the most tense, most gripping.

The one guy I feel bad for leaving out is Robert Mitchum. He's one of my favorite actors ever and made plenty of film noirs, but there isn't just one definitive movie for me to point to. His best noir is generally thought to be Out of the Past, but I've seen that and didn't love it. Four out of five stars on Netflix, instead of five out of five (which all the above titles got). But if you're looking to cover the most famous titles in the genre it's one to include (I DVRed it a few weeks back and plan to watch it again here soon, though).

Anyway, there are plenty more worth recommending but I don't want to go overboard. If you check any of these out -- or already have -- and dig them or not, let me know.
    Last edited by TheWalrus; 06-18-2013 at 01:46 PM.

Quote Quote  

4. -5884
    Soul Rebel

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo

These 'Honest Trailers' are pretty funny.

Also, saw Broadway Danny Rose yesterday. It's streaming on netflix as well.

Someone recommended 'Bananas' to me, so that's probably next in line.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5885
    Archibald Meatpants

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fort lauderdale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Snakes!Dolphins HomerDolphin
    I'm not an expert's expert on film noir but I know the genre pretty darn well. Double Indemnity and Sunset Boulevard are great ones to start with (both by Billy Wilder, by the way, who's right up there in my favorite filmmakers). Some of the best noirs to me are foreign ones, especially by Jean-Pierre Melville, who I think pretty much mastered the crime genre. But just staying with American noirs of the WWII and post WWII era, I'd go with:

Ace in the Hole: Funnily enough, another Billy Wilder movie. Just rewatched this for the first time in maybe five years last night. Hence my sig. It's the story of a disgraced, amoral journalist (Kirk Douglas) who takes a job in a New Mexico backwater. When by chance he finds out a man is stuck in a cave he manipulates the circumstances -- including trying to prevent the guy from getting out -- to make the story huge and himself famous so he can land a job in New York again. In it's acid, cynical take on human nature Ace in the Hole belongs in the same company with classics like Paths of Glory and Network. It was so brutally negative about human nature it actually ended up being a spectacular failure at the box office, but has been rediscovered critically in recent years as the truth has moved closer to fiction. Truly, a knockout.

The Roaring Twenties: Needed at least one James Cagney movie on here, and this one's my favorite (over White Heat, a close second). This story of a basically good guy who gets mixed up in bootlegging and racketeering and becomes a bad guy was the chief inspiration for Goodfellas, according to Martin Scorsese. Co-stars Humphrey Bogart.

The Narrow Margin: A lot of noirs -- most of the real ones, anyway -- are short and punchy. Like this 72 minute classic from 1952 starring noir staple Charles McGraw. The story of a cop who's transporting a bitchy gangster's wife on a train full of assassins out to kill her, the Narrow Margin is like a fine watch. Everything just sort of clicks together wonderfully. Not, you know, an in-depth examination of the human condition, but fun and suspenseful. A film nerd's idea of a breezy afternoon movie.

Night and the City: I love Jules Dassin. He made three great noirs, two in English (this one and The Naked City, one of the first movies shot on location in New York) as well as one of the definitive heist movies -- Riffifi -- in France after that callous **** Elia Kazan ratted him out to HUAC. Night and the City was actually shot in London, where Dassin fled initially. Anyway, it's the story of a low level hustler -- Richard Widmark at his weaselly best -- who tries to break into the London wrestling promotion game, which is dominated by a chilling Herbert Lom (miles away from Inspector Dreyfuss ). Widmark tries and tries, **** that he is, but the establishment is the establishment for a reason, and he's in over his head. The movie contains what is -- for me -- the greatest fight scene in the history of the movies. Not the most technically proficient or best shot. But the most tense, most gripping.

The one guy I feel bad for leaving out is Robert Mitchum. He's one of my favorite actors ever and made plenty of film noirs, but there isn't just one definitive movie for me to point to. His best noir is generally thought to be Out of the Past, but I've seen that and didn't love it. Four out of five stars on Netflix, instead of five out of five (which all the above titles got). But if you're looking to cover the most famous titles in the genre it's one to include (I DVRed it a few weeks back and plan to watch it again here soon, though).

Anyway, there are plenty more worth recommending but I don't want to go overboard. If you check any of these out -- or already have -- and dig them or not, let me know.
    Thanks for the recommendations. I like Robert Mitchum a lot too. The original cape fear was a great movie IMO and if you haven't seen it, the night of the hunter is another great one.
    Quote Quote  

6. -5886
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Thanks for the recommendations. I like Robert Mitchum a lot too. The original cape fear was a great movie IMO and if you haven't seen it, the night of the hunter is another great one.
    Big fans of both of those movies. I seem to remember some talk about Night of the Hunter in this thread a little while back.

---------- Post added at 02:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:13 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by rob19 View Post
    These 'Honest Trailers' are pretty funny.

Thanks for those.
    Quote Quote  

7. -5887
    Sophisticated Redneck

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    out in the Ding Weeds
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerdolphin View Post
    There arent many people in this thread that should be applauded for passing their genes along.
    Quote Originally Posted by COphinphan89 View Post
    Bough me 200 rounds of Finheven themed ammunition recently. Love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Valandui View Post
    I'm thinking about selling my two GTX 660 TIs and getting a GTX 780. That thing is ridiculous.
    Yeah. Just the one time, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by MadDog 88 View Post
    I like your other mug shot better.

Wonder if someone will find a racial element in that.....
    "I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally" ~ W.C. Fields

Quote Quote  

8. -5888
    Soul Rebel

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo

Quote Quote  

9. -5889
    Are you gonna drink that?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    West-by-god-Virginny
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Trophies
    2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by COphinphan89 View Post
    Bough me 200 rounds of Finheven themed ammunition recently. Love it.

Range report? Are they Devon Bess good? Or, are they pure junc?
    2014 Goals:
    1) Win the next game.
    2) See goal #1

"The problem with internet quotes lies in verifying their authenticity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Quote Quote  

10. -5890
    The Ghost

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lakeland, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I still love this. Putin kills me every time.

Valandui's Weekly Music Video

Black Crown Initiate: Withering Waves
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlqJA1Rteio
    Quote Quote