Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 925 of 1676 FirstFirst ... 920921922923924925926927928929930 ... LastLast
Results 9,241 to 9,250 of 16756

Thread: POFO Anything Goes Thread. ((Warning do not enter if you can't handle fire))

1. -9241
    Phins & Philly Sports

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Philadelphia, PA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    That's a pretty nice place.

Without sounding like a freak, where do you live rob?

Quote Quote  

2. -9242
    Soul Rebel

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by PhinsPhan11 View Post
    That's a pretty nice place.

Without sounding like a freak, where do you live rob?
    Atlanta. If any of you guys in the League find yourself in the area don't be afraid to hit me up.

Except maybe for future police officer Hankey, for obvious reasons.
    Quote Quote  

3. -9243
    Soul Rebel

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Don't have much to add to that part of your post I'm excluding. We seem to pretty much be in agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    Not really. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

If someone claims to have been visited by a UFO, for example, I don't have to consider it plausible simply because it matches their subjective feelings and experience. It's an extraordinary claim, therefore the burden of proof lies with the person claiming it, not with me. Any religion makes a multitude of extraordinary claims for which there is no evidence, much less extraordinary evidence. Just because it's not necessarily implausible -- just as someone being visited by aliens is not necessarily implausible -- does not mean it reaches some sort of quasi-plausible footing.
    The problem being that the qualifications for what makes something extraordinary are subjectively selected criteria. One might contend that an entire universe arising from nothing is an extraordinary claim. There's a Latin phrase which you're probably familiar with called "Ex Nihilo Nihil Fit", which translates to "Out of nothing comes nothing". In other words, you can't get something from nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus
    At least in Christianity they try to offer some reason why there is no proof. "Blessed are those who have no seen, yet still believe" and so on. Other religions by comparison don't even try. If this world is really the dream of Brahma, for example, where's the proof of it? Where is the spiritual value in not making this proof indisputable?
    There's no proof. Unless you count various accounts of altered states of consciousness to be proof (not just drugs, but states brought about by meditative practices, fasting, etc), which I do not.

You'd probably have to ask a Hindu about that last part.
    Quote Quote  

4. -9244
    Two Little Debbies and a cup of coffee

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Mike Wallace 112013 Dolphins Logo
    I like your pad Rob. Id love to have a place like that if I were a single man.
    Quote Quote  

5. -9245
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rob19 View Post
    The problem being that the qualifications for what makes something extraordinary are subjectively selected criteria. One might contend that an entire universe arising from nothing is an extraordinary claim. There's a Latin phrase which you're probably familiar with called "Ex Nihilo Nihil Fit", which translates to "Out of nothing comes nothing". In other words, you can't get something from nothing.
    True enough. Credulity has a way of making the extraordinary seem natural. But all of life being the dream of Brahma, to go back to that, sure seems like an extraordinary claim. Doesn't it to you? It's completely beyond the realm of experience.

That Latin phrase expresses the same basic idea as the "first cause" argument I brought up earlier. However if we -- meaning the universe -- has a cause, then that cause must also have a cause, and that one a cause, all the way back to infinity. "God" cannot be that cause because God must also have a cause. It's why the Anthropic Principle is so useful. Even if it's impossible to get something from nothing... we're here. Therefore it must have been possible anyway.

#freespesh
    Quote Quote  

6. -9246
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Quote Quote  

7. -9247
    cowboy surfer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Los Angeles
    Thanks / No Thanks
    be honest, do these jeans make my martin look fat?
    Quote Quote  

8. -9248
    Archibald Meatpants

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fort lauderdale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Snakes!Dolphins HomerDolphin

Well he did say that the jets haven't had a good qb in forty years so that right there makes him exponentially smarter than junk.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9249
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

I can't stop laughing at this.
    Quote Quote  

10. -9250
    Soul Rebel

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    True enough. Credulity has a way of making the extraordinary seem natural. But all of life being the dream of Brahma, to go back to that, sure seems like an extraordinary claim. Doesn't it to you? It's completely beyond the realm of experience.

That Latin phrase expresses the same basic idea as the "first cause" argument I brought up earlier. However if we -- meaning the universe -- has a cause, then that cause must also have a cause, and that one a cause, all the way back to infinity. "God" cannot be that cause because God must also have a cause. It's why the Anthropic Principle is so useful. Even if it's impossible to get something from nothing... we're here. Therefore it must have been possible anyway.
    That's a sentence I wouldn't feel comfortable definitively stating because we simply don't know.
    Quote Quote