Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dolphins make sense as a landing spot for WR Josh Gordon

1. -1
    FinHeaven Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Huntsville, AL
    Thanks / No Thanks

Suggestion Dolphins make sense as a landing spot for WR Josh Gordon

The NFL will hold its Supplemental Draft Thursday, and the most intriguing name in the lot is former Baylor wide receiver Josh Gordan. The Dolphins could be intereseted. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...r-josh-gordon/
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Super Moderator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Aberdeen
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Arsenal shield
    They were saying it will cost us to much to get him 2nd or 3rd, cant see us doing that............
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    What Sherman aspires to be

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Maryland
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Since we have two third round picks (thanks to the Bears in the Brandon Marshall trade) I would bid our third round pick (the more valuable of the two) for Josh Gordon if he's worth it. WR is a HUGE need & we can get him in here a year early with Tannehill we're ahead of the curve. Problem is the Vikings & Browns could both use him too & their third rounder is worth more than ours.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    You can't decide to bid one 3rd round pick or another. Everyone bids their natural pick in every round, unless they've already traded it away. The draft order is determined by weighted lottery. I believe the weighted lottery is split up into thirds. The top third are teams with only 6 wins or less. The middle third is non-playoff teams with more than 6 wins. The final third are playoff teams. Each third has its own weighted lottery conducted to determine the pick order in that third, and then the thirds are put together to form a pick order for each round.

If the Dallas Cowboys are indeed very serious about drafting Gordon, and the Dolphins want him as well, the Dolphins can bid the same round as the Cowboys and still safely pick him up. I believe the Cowboys would be in the middle third while the Dolphins are guaranteed to be top third. However, Cleveland and Washington are rumored to be interested as well, and both would also pick top third. They would also start the lottery with higher weights than Miami.
    Twitter: @ckparrot
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lexington, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Not sure why everyone's excited about a guy that hasn't played football since 2010, was suspended and then dismissed from Baylor for smoking pot, transferred to Utah and then decided not to play and enter the supplemental draft for "financial reasons". If this guys character and absense from the sport doesn't scream red flag to everyone then I'm not sure what will. Do people expect a guy who hasn't played football in over a year, has not participated in any of the OTAs or mini camps to come in here and pick up the playbook and actually contribute. It's hard enough for a rookie to make it in this league without placing all these other factors on him. Not to mention the drug use...and you want him in Miami? And some of you are OK with spending a 2nd or 3rd round pick on the guy? I'll pass.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Dawn of a new era

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Newport News,Va
    Thanks / No Thanks
    rotoworld says the only teams attending his workout is browns,cowboys & philly....nothing about the dolphins.
    In his office Friday afternoon, Philbin pointed to the practice fields outside and said: "Out there is where we're going to find out about Ryan Tannehill, Matt Moore and David Garrard. I don't remember a master plan that said, 'Here's when Ryan's going to play.' If there is one, I was never told about it. We'll let them come to work, and the best man will win."'
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    That's one way to look at it. There are other ways to look at it, too.

For one thing he was never in trouble prior to his being inside a friend's car when police found a small amount of marijuana in the car. The offense was so minor that his punishment from a football perspective (suspended four quarters, spaced out over a couple of games) is tantamount to a proverbial slap on the wrist. The more serious offense was when he tested positive for marijuana during a Baylor drug test. For that, the school administration dismissed him from school, but not without strenuous objections from the coaching staff who all loved Gordon and thought of him as a genuinely good kid that may have made a bad decision or two.

For another thing, marijuana use among NFL players is as much a reality as marijuana use amongst American citizens which last I checked was at about 42% as having at least tried it once. It is a simple fact that NFL coaches are aware that many of their players are actively smoking pot, and they don't care. All they care about is whether they're smart enough about it to not get caught. So really the application of the tired cliche that it's trouble putting a drug user in the city of Miami, is just irrelevant. Marijuana is as easily accessible in Anytown, USA as it is in Miami, FL.

Finally, you mention his leaving Utah for "financial reasons", and I note the quotations because they seemed to be coated in derision. The problem there is, the NFL wouldn't let him into the Supplemental Draft at all if he just up and decided he changed his mind and wanted a piece of that NFL money. The NFL are sticklers for players applying to the Supplemental Draft showing that their eligibility or financial situations have changed drastically from the January deadline for entry into the real Draft, to the June deadline for entry to the Supplemental Draft. Just because we don't know the details of those financial reasons, does not mean you should carry a default assumption that those reasons are fake, stupid or non-existent.

As for the guy missing OTAs and Mini Camp...come on...really?

The fact that he hasn't played football since 2010 is perhaps a little more concerning. But, he was practicing with Utah during the entire year he missed due to NCAA transfer rules. That's important. It's not like the guy just took a break from football and became an accountant like Les Brown. That year with Utah is really the great unknown in all this because literally only Utah coaches, and NFL scouts that have been present for those Utah practices, will have some idea how he's grown and developed over that year, and I have zero doubt he will have grown and developed during that time. When he played in 2010 he was only a true sophomore, two years out from Lamar High School. He was already a dangerous player. Just as you see a rookie playing one way, then come back in his second year and play far better right from the start, that development all occurred during practice. You don't need to be playing the games in order to develop. So I'm real interested in the Utah angle and how he may have developed over that third year in college.

My concerns have more to do with his limited role at Baylor and the zero optics for how he developed at Utah. It's really hard to get a firm grasp on what kind of football player he can be, and that would be my primary fixation rather than his having tested positive for marijuana at Baylor.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lexington, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    CK, are you really comparing a professional football player who already knows his offense and has been through professional workouts and off season training for 5 seasons to a kid that has no knowledge of such things? No knowledge of the offense, no knowledge of what it takes to be a professional, no knowledge of the little nuances of playing the WR position in the NFL...come on...really?

I really don't care that supposedly 42% of the population has tried pot at least once...that doesn't make it legal. And I don't care that some people think it's minor or should be legalized cause as of right now it's not. I don't go around breaking laws just because I feel they shouldn't be laws...I suppose I'm in the minority on that. As for Les Brown...he wasn't drafted, no pick was spent on him and he's a complete project. Les Brown should count himself lucky to have been signed and should count himself even luckier if he makes the practice squad. If we were getting Gordon for no draft picks as a project for the practice squad I wouldn't care at all. There's zero risk in that.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    2012 NFL

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    new york
    Thanks / No Thanks

Jacksonville Jaguars 2012: Stat Predictions for MJD and Other Offensive Players

Not too long ago, I wrote a story predicting the top stat leaders for the Jacksonville Jaguars for the 2012 season.
    I went through both sides of the ball and gave my educated opinion about who would the lead the team in certain categories.
    For the purpose of this story, though, we're going to delve a little deeper. For this one, we're going to stick to strictly the offensive side of the ball and give estimations as to what the key offensive players will amass in 2012.
    How much will quarterback Blaine Gabbert improve upon his numbers from 2011? Will he improve at all?
    If Maurice Jones-Drew comes back, will he creep up to 2,000 yards?
    Professional Cheap Jerseys Suppliers. Get 2012 Latest NFL Wholesale Jerseys.Buy Discount NFL Jerseys at Factory Direct Prices.No minimum order. Quantity discounts.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Costa Rica
    Thanks / No Thanks
    All I really care about, is if he is better than what we have on our roster today....(or can be) Marino "was" a "pothead" @ Pitt, remember?
    Quote Quote