Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: These ridiculous grades of the Miami Draft

1. -1
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

These ridiculous grades of the Miami Draft

When I see draft grades of C and the like for the Fins this year, I find it hard to believe there isn't a bias against us and/or a lot of nonsense published about player evaluation.

But these things are inherently very subjective, so it's hard to criticize one guy's opinion. Nevertheless, I decided to have a look at the NFL Draft Grade given to each and every player (except a few lesser lights) leading up to the Draft and see how all 32 teams did against the player grades. I took the average of all picks made by the team, as some teams had more picks than others. A straight average is a little oversimplified, as teams with more picks are likely to have had more late round picks, but the idea was not to be scientific.

I know the NFL Draft Grade in itself is subjective, sometimes maybe even totally inaccurate in some cases. But if the NFL are happy to put their name to it, then the analysts the NFL employs should surely not totally ignore the validity of their own proprietary grading system when handing out Cs and Ds to teams.

Sooooo, out of all 32 teams in the NFL Draft, care to guess which one had the highest average NFL Draft Grade across all picks?

Yup.

Fins had an average 76.9, just above the Bengals 76.7.

Again, for the record, I doubt the accuracy of the NFL Draft Grades as a predictor for the future. Do I believe we had the best draft of everyone? Probably not. But I know that the team who drafted the players with the highest average NFL grade should be ruled automatically out of the C and D grade territory from some of these "experts", particularly NFL analysts.

The full list for what it's worth:

Dolphins 76.9
    Bengals 76.7
    Cardinals 72.5
    Packers 72.3
    Bills 72.1
    Chiefs 72.1
    Texans 71.1
    Eagles 71.1
    Browns 71.1
    Chargers 70.2
    Rams 70.1
    Panthers 70.1
    Steelers 69.8
    Giants 69.3
    Buccaneers 69.0
    Vikings 68.8
    Lions 68.0
    Titans 67.9
    Colts 67.6
    Ravens 67.4
    Jaguars 67.3
    Patriots 67.0
    49ers 67.0
    Broncos 66.4
    Jets 66.3
    Cowboys 64.9
    Redskins 63.2
    Bears 62.7
    Falcons 61.5
    Seahawks 60.7
    Raiders 58.8
    Saints 56.6
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better. - S. Beckett
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    The Oracle

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Gainesville Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    How many of the players we drafted will be starters in week one?
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LikeUntoGod View Post
    What has that to do with anything? Most of the players the Packers pick won't start in week 1, does that make any potential draft they could have made an automatic D?
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    InRegioneCaecorum RexEstLusces

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Zombieland (lookn4 Myles)
    Thanks / No Thanks

Dear Math, please grow up and solve your own problems, I'm tired of solving them for you. -Anon

Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Ryan tannehill...like a boss

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    richmond va
    Thanks / No Thanks
    can you give a break down of what each individual picks grade was???
    hoops scoops 2012 season ..."in 2014 ryan tannehill etches his name in stone amongst the games elite qbs"..."ryan tannehill and andrew luck will carry the afc for the next decade plus the way peyton manning and tom brady have this last decade plus"
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    FinHeaven Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    120 mi west of Costa Rica
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Jurassic World2013 Dolphins Logo
    It is not about who will be week one starters in 2012, it is about who will be starters a few years from now. Chances are Martin will be the only starter in 2012. However three years from now, Tannehill, Martin, Vernon, Egnew and Miller could all be starters.

Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lauderville, Florilina
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Can't believe that people really think there's some bias against Miami. Other teams got average grades as well.

Also no sure why some worry about draft grades. They're opinions just like your opinion of our draft is higher than a C and clearly your opinion IS bias.

Let dudes get on the field for a couple of seasons and see what they've got.

Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Sophisticated Redneck

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    out in the Ding Weeds
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The point of Thirteen's post is to illustrate how the opinion around the draft changes dramatically with the subjectivity of the media. His pre draft average data shows that even though a player is highly touted and regarded as a decent pick the subjectivity of the analytical media will sway their opinions based on what teams the players are drafted to.

Predraft grades become irrelevant and now a new grade is assigned based on the preface of team needs, player quality and expected team draft picks.

It really is all subjective and opinion based, no one knows who is going to pan out and who is going to bust out. The Colts may very well be looking for a QB in 2014 or 2015 just like the Dolphins, maybe Weeden goes on to be an all pro, maybe Tannehill is the gem of the draft.

What I do know is that Miami had need at QB, Safety, RT, OLB/DE, WR and depth at TE, depth at LB. They picked up a QB, RT, DE, TE, LB, 2x WR, RB and a DT. I would have liked to see safety help but the class was thin on no miss talent.

I'd say that was a pretty good draft considering the abysmal free agent period Jeff had up to the draft. I know not everyone of those guys are going to make the cut but even if you get two starters and two quality depth players it is successful, the two starters need to be at QB and RT of course.
    Peace and Humptiness Forever

Quote Quote  

9. -9
    We Are Still Going To The SB

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    MIAMI, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fin Thirteen View Post
    When I see draft grades of C and the like for the Fins this year, I find it hard to believe there isn't a bias against us and/or a lot of nonsense published about player evaluation.

But these things are inherently very subjective, so it's hard to criticize one guy's opinion. Nevertheless, I decided to have a look at the NFL Draft Grade given to each and every player (except a few lesser lights) leading up to the Draft and see how all 32 teams did against the player grades. I took the average of all picks made by the team, as some teams had more picks than others. A straight average is a little oversimplified, as teams with more picks are likely to have had more late round picks, but the idea was not to be scientific.

I know the NFL Draft Grade in itself is subjective, sometimes maybe even totally inaccurate in some cases. But if the NFL are happy to put their name to it, then the analysts the NFL employs should surely not totally ignore the validity of their own proprietary grading system when handing out Cs and Ds to teams.

Sooooo, out of all 32 teams in the NFL Draft, care to guess which one had the highest average NFL Draft Grade across all picks?

Yup.

Fins had an average 76.9, just above the Bengals 76.7.

Again, for the record, I doubt the accuracy of the NFL Draft Grades as a predictor for the future. Do I believe we had the best draft of everyone? Probably not. But I know that the team who drafted the players with the highest average NFL grade should be ruled automatically out of the C and D grade territory from some of these "experts", particularly NFL analysts.

The full list for what it's worth:

Dolphins 76.9
    Bengals 76.7
    Cardinals 72.5
    Packers 72.3
    Bills 72.1
    Chiefs 72.1
    Texans 71.1
    Eagles 71.1
    Browns 71.1
    Chargers 70.2
    Rams 70.1
    Panthers 70.1
    Steelers 69.8
    Giants 69.3
    Buccaneers 69.0
    Vikings 68.8
    Lions 68.0
    Titans 67.9
    Colts 67.6
    Ravens 67.4
    Jaguars 67.3
    Patriots 67.0
    49ers 67.0
    Broncos 66.4
    Jets 66.3
    Cowboys 64.9
    Redskins 63.2
    Bears 62.7
    Falcons 61.5
    Seahawks 60.7
    Raiders 58.8
    Saints 56.6
    Good ****ing job homey. I know you must have put alot into this. Don't worry for some facts are useless. Being a numbers guy, I love the analysis.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Brooklyn
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hydra logo
Gift received at 05-21-2014, 12:20 PM from DisturbedShifty1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by JCane View Post
    Can't believe that people really think there's some bias against Miami. Other teams got average grades as well.

Also no sure why some worry about draft grades. They're opinions just like your opinion of our draft is higher than a C and clearly your opinion IS bias.

Let dudes get on the field for a couple of seasons and see what they've got.
    I have several friends who are Saints fans and they feel there is strong bias against the Saints. A couple of friends here are Giants fans and they feel there is a bias against the Giants. When I lived in Dallas, co-workers felt there was a bias against the Cowboys. Growing up in Phoenix, there was tremendous bias against the cards, according to the 5 fans they had before their SB run.

Amazing that there's so much bias out there.

Quote Quote