Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Rice Rice Baby

1. -31
    pofo mofo

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rob19 View Post
    68% of the people who voted in the 2008 election were over 65. I'm not sure if you grasp the gravity of that. Most of them are nowhere near as into politics as you are, they might watch the evening news, but quite honestly the reason you have such a high elderly turn is because they frankly have nothing better to do. All a lot of all these old people see in Mitt Romney is that he's a republican who looks like a president; most of them don't care about his politics, and most of them don't care about his religion this time around, and that's because we have an even more divisive ploy at play, and that's that for the first time in history, we have an incumbent half-black president. Maybe Romney's Mormonism isn't as big a deal now, but religion has been an issue in past elections, probably most notably was all the fuss being made about Kennedy being a Catholic.

Inversely, I don't think the people who wouldn't vote for a black-woman aren't as "extreme partisan wing"ed as you might think. I heard a lot of people back in 08 that I would never have considered racist, or extremist, tell me they'd "never vote for a woman, just couldn't do it". My observation as an arm-chair amateur psychologist, would be that I think voting for a women still bothers a great deal of men subconsciously. There's probably been documented studies on this I'm sure, but I think subconsciously a lot of men have a problem seeing women in a position of power. I think it's the same reason that female stand-up comedians get heckled notoriously more than their male counterparts. I think a strong case for this could be made with the Sarah Palin/ McCain card of 08'. I thought Palin hurt him, because given the historical circumstance of Obama being the first partially black president, I think McCain would've been better off picking some white-guy. It was still a close race, but I thought he'd probably have done a lot better just running on tradition, or what has always been. Whether it was Palin being a woman, or if it was Palin being a complete dolt, that hurt McCain could be argued, I guess there's no way of really telling.

Ultimately this comes down to simple reasoning for me though, are the majority of people not bigoted? Of course, but, given that the majority of Romney supporters are white, would it not logically behoove him not only from a racial stand-point, but also a historical stand-point, to pick another white-male to be his running-mate?
    Where did you get that statistic on 2008 voters?

Not saying it's wrong, but if it is correct, that is amazing.
    Last edited by phinfan3411; 07-16-2012 at 06:23 PM.
    Quote Quote  

2. -32
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jared81 View Post
    source? i am not saying there arent people that didnt vote for obama just because he is black. i am saying the majority of people who think that wouldnt vote for a democrat anyways, because they dont like the platforms the democratic party represents. there were many black americans who voted for obama just because he is black as well. look at the mobilization in urban areas. the election was filled with people that never voted before, mostly black. did those people have some new found desire in geopolitics, i should say not, it was based on obamas skin

unfortunetly there are some people that look at race as a factor. i believe strongly that the majority of the electorate is color blind. i know i may get some crap for saying this but i believe there are just as many blacks that voted for him because of his race, as there are whites who voted against obama based on race. i understand the difference in population before you ask.
    I can't find the particular Nate Silver story I am referring to, but there was a lot of evidence of Obama underperforming compared to John Kerry among otherwise loyal Democrats. They tend to be white and working class.

The New York Times had a similar story.

Mr. Obama barely won this county in 2008 — 48.9 percent to John McCain’s 48.7 percent. Four years earlier, John Kerry had an easier time here, winning 52.3 percent to 47.2 percent over George W. Bush. Given Ohio’s critical importance as a swing state that will most likely be won or lost by the narrowest of margins, the fact that Mr. Obama’s race is a deal-breaker for even a small number of otherwise loyal Democrats could have implications for the final results.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/04/us...pagewanted=all
    Quote Quote  

3. -33
    cowboy surfer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Los Angeles
    Thanks / No Thanks
    probably doesn't matter, it will be rubio
    Quote Quote  

4. -34
    Finheaven Hall of Shame

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Hotel California
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogbone34 View Post
    Nope.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/07/1...in-romney.html
    Quote Quote  

5. -35
    Fat Kid

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogbone34 View Post
    Guessing Rob Portman myself.

Rubio would be great for Romneys ticket, but doubt it happens.
    "I'm not here to be a distraction," Pouncey said.
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10...ogical-testing
    Quote Quote  

6. -36
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Add up the totals throughout the country, and racial animus cost Mr. Obama three to five percentage points of the popular vote. In other words, racial prejudice gave John McCain the equivalent of a home-state advantage nationally.
    Yes, Mr. Obama also gained some votes because of his race. But in the general election this effect was comparatively minor. The vast majority of voters for whom Mr. Obama’s race was a positive were liberal, habitual voters who would have voted for any Democratic presidential candidate. Increased support and turnout from African-Americans added only about one percentage point to Mr. Obama’s totals.
    http://campaignstops.blogs.nytimes.c...me&ref=general
    Quote Quote