Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.



VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 36

Thread: Rice Rice Baby

  1. -21
    rob19's Avatar
    Soul Rebel

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Mar 2006
    Posts:
    7,542
    vCash:
    9622
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by jared81 View Post
    another insightful post. please tell me since you know so much about race relations. why does marco rubio have such good standing with the "conservative" movement and the tea party, if they are all full of a bunch of bigots? why does herman cain do so well with white america? oh yea, i forgt, hes an uncle tom. blacks will never vote for repubican. i absolutley think republicans have dropped the ball with hispanics, because i genuinely think hispanics are conservative at their core.

    just like when the congressional black caucus tries to use the race card, republicans do the boogey man thing as well. i just dont think the majority of people vote based on a persons race, or even religon (see mitt romney being a mormon). you are only looking at the extreme partisan wing that both sides have, most people live in the real world.
    68% of the people who voted in the 2008 election were over 65. I'm not sure if you grasp the gravity of that. Most of them are nowhere near as into politics as you are, they might watch the evening news, but quite honestly the reason you have such a high elderly turn is because they frankly have nothing better to do. All a lot of all these old people see in Mitt Romney is that he's a republican who looks like a president; most of them don't care about his politics, and most of them don't care about his religion this time around, and that's because we have an even more divisive ploy at play, and that's that for the first time in history, we have an incumbent half-black president. Maybe Romney's Mormonism isn't as big a deal now, but religion has been an issue in past elections, probably most notably was all the fuss being made about Kennedy being a Catholic.

    Inversely, I don't think the people who wouldn't vote for a black-woman aren't as "extreme partisan wing"ed as you might think. I heard a lot of people back in 08 that I would never have considered racist, or extremist, tell me they'd "never vote for a woman, just couldn't do it". My observation as an arm-chair amateur psychologist, would be that I think voting for a women still bothers a great deal of men subconsciously. There's probably been documented studies on this I'm sure, but I think subconsciously a lot of men have a problem seeing women in a position of power. I think it's the same reason that female stand-up comedians get heckled notoriously more than their male counterparts. I think a strong case for this could be made with the Sarah Palin/ McCain card of 08'. I thought Palin hurt him, because given the historical circumstance of Obama being the first partially black president, I think McCain would've been better off picking some white-guy. It was still a close race, but I thought he'd probably have done a lot better just running on tradition, or what has always been. Whether it was Palin being a woman, or if it was Palin being a complete dolt, that hurt McCain could be argued, I guess there's no way of really telling.

    Ultimately this comes down to simple reasoning for me though, are the majority of people not bigoted? Of course, but, given that the majority of Romney supporters are white, would it not logically behoove him not only from a racial stand-point, but also a historical stand-point, to pick another white-male to be his running-mate?
    Quote Quote  

  2. -22
    Tetragrammaton's Avatar
    Hall Of Famer

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2006
    Posts:
    9,668
    vCash:
    3091
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Obama lost three to five percent of the vote in 2008 because of his race; it may even be bigger this time. Having a black Vice Presidential nominee might matter less than having her at the top of the ticket, but it is not a risk they should take.
    Quote Quote  

  3. -23
    jared81's Avatar
    Waterlogged

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2007
    Posts:
    4,797
    vCash:
    1216
    Loc:
    orlando
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tetragrammaton View Post
    Obama lost three to five percent of the vote in 2008 because of his race; it may even be bigger this time. Having a black Vice Presidential nominee might matter less than having her at the top of the ticket, but it is not a risk they should take.
    Is that net 3 to 5 percent? Because I think what he gained in the black vote certainly offset any bias. And if you agree he gained the black vote primarily on his race, wouldn't you considered just as bigoted as people who were prejudice against Obama?
    Quote Quote  

  4. -24
    Tetragrammaton's Avatar
    Hall Of Famer

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2006
    Posts:
    9,668
    vCash:
    3091
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jared81 View Post
    Is that net 3 to 5 percent? Because I think what he gained in the black vote certainly offset any bias. And if you agree he gained the black vote primarily on his race, wouldn't you considered just as bigoted as people who were prejudice against Obama?
    In the overall national vote, Obama lost three to five percent of the vote.
    Quote Quote  

  5. -25
    jared81's Avatar
    Waterlogged

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2007
    Posts:
    4,797
    vCash:
    1216
    Loc:
    orlando
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tetragrammaton View Post
    In the overall national vote, Obama lost three to five percent of the vote.
    source? i am not saying there arent people that didnt vote for obama just because he is black. i am saying the majority of people who think that wouldnt vote for a democrat anyways, because they dont like the platforms the democratic party represents. there were many black americans who voted for obama just because he is black as well. look at the mobilization in urban areas. the election was filled with people that never voted before, mostly black. did those people have some new found desire in geopolitics, i should say not, it was based on obamas skin

    unfortunetly there are some people that look at race as a factor. i believe strongly that the majority of the electorate is color blind. i know i may get some crap for saying this but i believe there are just as many blacks that voted for him because of his race, as there are whites who voted against obama based on race. i understand the difference in population before you ask.
    Quote Quote  

  6. -26
    rob19's Avatar
    Soul Rebel

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Mar 2006
    Posts:
    7,542
    vCash:
    9622
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by jared81 View Post
    unfortunetly there are some people that look at race as a factor. i believe strongly that the majority of the electorate is color blind. i know i may get some crap for saying this but i believe there are just as many blacks that voted for him because of his race, as there are whites who voted against obama based on race.i understand the difference in population before you ask.
    What point are you trying to make? That some people prefer to vote based on racial affiliation? Mr. "the majority of the electorate is color blind"?

    I really do believe that the majority of the electorate is open to voting for someone regardless of color. However, your also making my point by saying that there are still an impactful number of people, black or white, that vote based on nothing more than racial affiliation (or even traditional gender roles in this case), which is all that I've said from the beginning. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but your argument as I can determine has essentially come down to "yea, but black people do it too!", I never said they didn't. All I said was it'd probably do Romney more good than bad to choose a white, male, running mate. It'd be more traditional, I think he'd be repeating the mistake of the 08' campaign.
    Last edited by rob19; 07-16-2012 at 03:53 PM.
    Quote Quote  

  7. -27
    rob19's Avatar
    Soul Rebel

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Mar 2006
    Posts:
    7,542
    vCash:
    9622
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    I can sense that your not willing to budge on the subject, which is fine, at least we've made our stances clear.

    You think Mitt Romney, the Mormon, would be best served making a black women, Condoleezza Rice, his Vice-Presidential nominee. When historically, black people were banned from all Mormon churches until 1978, when in the face of losing their tax exempt status they had a "revelation", & believe that black skin is a curse from god. I don't.

    We'll have to agree to disagree on that one.

    Ultimately though, why I struggle to muster up a great deal of enthusiasm for this election, is because it's perfectly apparent to anyone who's following the money that both Romney & Obama are funded & propped up by the same banking corporations. No matter who wins, they do.
    Quote Quote  

  8. -28
    Dogbone34's Avatar
    cowboy surfer

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2007
    Posts:
    2,743
    vCash:
    2526
    Loc:
    Los Angeles
    Thanks / No Thanks
    not a fan but it could be argued that she has more foreign policy and diplomatic experience than all of them
    Quote Quote  

  9. -29
    Valandui's Avatar
    Lumberjack Batman

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    May 2008
    Posts:
    9,780
    vCash:
    13445
    Loc:
    Lakeland, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jared81 View Post
    another insightful post. please tell me since you know so much about race relations. why does marco rubio have such good standing with the "conservative" movement and the tea party, if they are all full of a bunch of bigots? why does herman cain do so well with white america? oh yea, i forgt, hes an uncle tom. blacks will never vote for repubican. i absolutley think republicans have dropped the ball with hispanics, because i genuinely think hispanics are conservative at their core.

    just like when the congressional black caucus tries to use the race card, republicans do the boogey man thing as well. i just dont think the majority of people vote based on a persons race, or even religon (see mitt romney being a mormon). you are only looking at the extreme partisan wing that both sides have, most people live in the real world.
    The Mormon thing is really going to bite Romney in the ass, especially since there are no policy differences between him and Obama. It's going to come down to which one people are more comfortable with, the current president or that super-rich guy from the weird religion with a history of racism.

    Valandui's Weekly Music Video

    Dub FX:
    Step On My Trip (Live)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEPEleJVjOo
    Quote Quote  

  10. -30
    phinfan3411's Avatar
    pofo mofo

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2007
    Posts:
    2,671
    vCash:
    4255
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Not going to say that there is not racism, racism in voting, institutionalized etc. There is, i feel it goes all ways also, and as 9954 has said, it seems to be getting better over time.

    I have always thought political ideals very much override any possible division amongst races. If for instance you were at a convention of some sort with a bunch of people you did not know, and just before lunch the conversation turned political, i feel the lunch seating would be divided by political affiliation, and not race.
    Quote Quote  

Similar Threads

  1. Anybody want Ray Rice?
    By MartinTheSNAKE in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-26-2008, 08:23 PM
  2. Rice for DPOW?
    By ih8brady in forum General NFL Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-13-2005, 08:39 PM
  3. What about Rice?
    By snap in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 05-18-2005, 04:45 PM
  4. Rice!!!!!!!!!!!!
    By Canadian DolFan in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 03-09-2005, 09:15 AM
  5. anyone watching rice confirmation hearing( rice grilling)
    By finataxia24 in forum Political | War Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-18-2005, 06:43 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •