The report says the main cause of the university's failure was a desire to avoid bad publicity. Also contributing:
- A striking lack of empathy for child abuse victims.
- Lack of oversight by the board of trustees.
- "A president who discouraged discussion and dissent."
- Ignorance of child abuse issues and laws.
- A football program that had opted out of university programs and training on reporting requirements.
- "A culture of reverence for the football program that is ingrained at all levels of the campus community."http://openchannel.msnbc.msn.com/_ne...usky-sex-abuse"Four of the most powerful people at The Pennsylvania State University -- President Graham B. Spanier, Senior Vice President-Finance and Business Gary C. Schultz, Athletic Director Timothy M. Curley and Head Football Coach Joseph V. Paterno -- failed to protect against a child predator harming children for over a decade. These men concealed Sandusky's activities from the Board of Trustees, the University community and authorities. They exhibited a striking lack of empathy for Sandusky's victims by failing to inquire as to their safety and well-being, especially by not attempting to determine the identity of the child who Sandusky assaulted in the Lasch Building in 2001. Further, they exposed this child to additional harm by alerting Sandusky, who was the only one who knew the child's identity, of what McQueary saw in the shower on the night of February 9, 2001.