Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wide Receivers: Keenan Allen versus Justin Hunter

1. -11
    Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Receivers don't see a lot of press coverage in high school, therefore the finer aspects and techniques that you would coach a kid on at a more advanced level aren't necessary. Wilson's setup is straight from highschool, and he can get away with it in college a substantial amount of time because he doesn't see a lot of press coverage, particularly in the Pac-12. He'll see less of it in Leach's offense as the WR splits are designed to stretch zones horizontally until it essentially becomes man coverage. That's a staple of all spread offenses with Run-&-Shoot roots.

The fundamental flaw resides in the fact that he has too much weight out over his front leg. Obviously you can't push off with your front leg, you have to push with your back leg. In order to push off with your back leg requires a certain amount of weight on it. The only way to get enough weight on your back leg to push off is to take a false step with it. If your weight is more balanced in your setup, you don't have to take that false step to push off with your back foot.

One of the keys to defeating press coverage is being balanced. You have to bring your back foot up closer to your front foot in order to be balanced. All receivers who have great technique defeating the jam at the LOS start with their feet closer together and in a more balanced position.... that's where it starts. It don't matter what your hands do if you're not balanced when that DB jams you. It's a very subtle aspect.

There's really nothing wrong with being in an exaggerated "crouch" like Wilson is, that's up to the coach. The point is he'll have to bring his back foot up closer to his front foot and be more equally balanced to defeat jams against top DB's.
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TedSlimmJr View Post
    Receivers don't see a lot of press coverage in high school, therefore the finer aspects and techniques that you would coach a kid on at a more advanced level aren't necessary. Wilson's setup is straight from highschool, and he can get away with it in college a substantial amount of time because he doesn't see a lot of press coverage, particularly in the Pac-12. He'll see less of it in Leach's offense as the WR splits are designed to stretch zones horizontally until it essentially becomes man coverage. That's a staple of all spread offenses with Run-&-Shoot roots.

The fundamental flaw resides in the fact that he has too much weight out over his front leg. Obviously you can't push off with your front leg, you have to push with your back leg. In order to push off with your back leg requires a certain amount of weight on it. The only way to get enough weight on your back leg to push off is to take a false step with it. If your weight is more balanced in your setup, you don't have to take that false step to push off with your back foot.

One of the keys to defeating press coverage is being balanced. You have to bring your back foot up closer to your front foot in order to be balanced. All receivers who have great technique defeating the jam at the LOS start with their feet closer together and in a more balanced position.... that's where it starts. It don't matter what your hands do if you're not balanced when that DB jams you. It's a very subtle aspect.

There's really nothing wrong with being in an exaggerated "crouch" like Wilson is, that's up to the coach. The point is he'll have to bring his back foot up closer to his front foot and be more equally balanced to defeat jams against top DB's.
    So it's not the crouch that you'd take issue with, it's the foot spacing and balance. Thanks.
    Twitter: @ckparrot
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Portland
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ckparrothead View Post
    The thing that is going to grab you about Justin Hunter right away is that lengthy frame, athleticism, jumping ability and body control that really reminds you of Randy Moss.

But a couple of things worry me about him. The first is his frame and how healthy he can stay on that frame. His frame is much slimmer in my opinion than Randy Moss' was, more like Todd Pinkston. He's already dealt with injury issues and has to prove he can stay healthy. Also, how fast is he, exactly? We're not talking about A.J. Green here, so with the kind of player Hunter is, he needs to be pretty fast. Randy Moss had 4.3 speed. Does Hunter really possess that, or is it closer to 4.48? If it's not ELECTRIC speed, then the negatives with his slim frame really stand out all the more, IMO. Should it be concerning that when he was running full speed for his touchdown against Montana, the Grizzlies safety Mike McCord was actively gaining on him? I don't know McCord's speed but if they've got a 4.3 speed safety then count me surprised.

You know, right now, as things stand, I have to consider Da'Rick Rogers a better WR prospect on the football field. He's quicker, thicker, has more RAC ability, I don't question his frame or his health. The thing I question about him is persistent rumors of him being a total prick. ESPN ranked Justin Hunter one position spot ahead of Da'Rick Rogers coming out of High School but Rivals rated Da'Rick a 5-Star guy, #2 at his position in the country, while Hunter was a 4-Star #8 at his position guy. So it's not like Hunter has always been the most-watched guy in the country for quite a while. Not that recruiting is a fantastic indicator of NFL success, of course. I just see what they saw, which is a thicker, stronger and more versatile player in Rogers (for now) versus a thin guy in Hunter that has this immense potential but needs to make good on it.

Keenan Allen is quick as a bug but I don't know that he's as controlled. It's going to be something that is interesting to see, how he continues his development. Right now I really like Marquess Wilson of Washington State. To me has a great blend of explosiveness, agility, control, ball skills, and frame.
    No way is Darrick better than hunter. Darick Rodgers is a poor man's arrulius benn. Hunter is smooth an has great hands. But more importantly they're both lucky enough to be catching balls from the best qb in college football today, my boy Tyler bray

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?cyqzia
    Quote Quote