Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: **Official 2013 Draft Prospect Discussion Thread**

1. -41
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ckparrothead View Post
    If you want the underrated guys then among my favorite seniors would be:

QB Brad Sorensen, Southern Utah (really I just have a thirst to see more of him)
    RB Dennis Johnson, Arkansas
    WR Aaron Mellette, Elon
    DE Dion Jordan, Oregon
    DE Malliciah Goodman, Clemson
    DE Cornellius Carradine, Florida State
    DT Cory Grissom, South Florida
    LB Shayne Skov, Stanford
    LB A.J. Klein, Iowa State
    LB Jake Knott, Iowa State
    LB Sam Barrington, South Florida
    LB Kenny Tate, Maryland
    CB Kayvon Webster, South Florida
    CB Terry Hawthorne, Illinois
    SS Shamarko Thomas, Syracuse
    FS Vaughn Telemaque, Miami (FL)

Kind of a sparing list at the moment, to tell you the truth.
    It might not be a bad idea for Miami to take a mid-round quarterback with both Matt Moore and David Garrard on one-year contracts. Maybe Brad Sorensen could be that guy. Plus, as much as I love Ryan Tannehill, there's no guarantee that he's the guy. I don't know a lot of guys on that list, to be honest, but I like Shayne Skov.
    Quote Quote  

2. -42
    Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Much like David Pollack used to coming out of Georgia... Werner plays with his head up, and plays so well with his eyes. He sees everything.... and has the ability to get there.

He's nowhere near as dominant yet as Pollack was, but the point is they have similar qualities and use a lot of the same techniques.
    Last edited by TedSlimmJr; 07-22-2012 at 02:17 PM.
    Quote Quote  

3. -43
    Ryan tannehill...like a boss

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    richmond va
    Thanks / No Thanks
    i'm definitely big on mingo...imo in the national championship game he was the best player at the los period...some serious tools there...definitely needs to get stronger but think about packing another 15-20 lbs on that frame which it looks to me like he'll carry very well and you might have yourself a monster end...i'm not ready to say that he's a stand up player only as a pro...i see a lot of jpp potential there...on upside and tools i'd be jumping on him
    hoops scoops 2012 season ..."in 2014 ryan tannehill etches his name in stone amongst the games elite qbs"..."ryan tannehill and andrew luck will carry the afc for the next decade plus the way peyton manning and tom brady have this last decade plus"
    Quote Quote  

4. -44

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Three points regarding 3 quarterback prospects, a Senior and two underclassman....

1.) I like toughness in a quarterback. If you wont hang tough in the pocket and deliver the football when things aren't going well up front along your offensive line... I don't have time for you. Tyler Wilson sold me on his toughness when he was getting absolutely destroyed versus Bama last year. A lot of quarterbacks would've wilted in that situation, or been knocked out of the game. I've seen Bama's defense do it too many times.... but Wilson hung in there with nothing but grit, and kept gettin' up for more. There's numerous positives to analyze about Wilson.

However, I'm going to point out one of the main issues I see with Tyler Wilson, and it ties in a little bit to the beating he took against Alabama. Wilson has to get better at identifying coverages prior to the snap and recognizing blitzes. It's an issue that I see in every game with him. I need to see that aspect improve during his Senior season. I need to see better communication with his receivers and get the ball out quicker in these situations. Hit his hot reads on a 1 or 3 step drop and stop taking so many unnecessary hits.

2.) Tyler Bray has a long ways to go in order to prove to me that he's a legitimate top underclassman QB prospect, and not just another lanky kid with a live arm and no idea how to play the position. The coaching staff at Tennessee has had issues with Bray and his lack of dedication since he's been there, although he appears to be ready to become more of a student of the game, and work at his craft. Bray's arm is able to perform elite tasks. He spins it as well as any quarterback in the NFL. The problem with Tyler Bray is that he hasn't done anything against SEC competition. He's been overmatched against SEC opponents, and has to play an entire season without getting hurt.

The fundamental flaw with Bray is bad footwork, and it contributes to his poor accuracy. I'm a firm believer that proper footwork is the key to accuracy. Bray's tendancy is to forecast where he's going with the football with his front foot. He gets away with it against lower level competition like Montana, Buffalo, etc... but not against SEC defensive backs. He doesn't get the toe of his front foot pointed at his target consistently.... this flaw in his footwork requires him to deliver the ball from this "side-saddle" position which affects the accuracy and touch of his passes. I can tell where Bray is going with the football on every throw by the time he sets up... so can SEC DB's.. his velocity is the only thing that saves him a lot of times. Basically, he needs to make sure that the notion that he's ready to dedicate himself to working on the details of his craft are true. He can't get away with taking a premature step in the direction he intends to throw and survive the defenses he's going to keep seeing in the SEC.

3.) Logan Thomas is the top underclassman QB prospect on my board right now.. for several reasons. Yes he's big and mobile with a strong arm, but it takes a little more to impress me. He has terrific pocket presence... along with his ball placement and ability to make stick throws in tight windows are what impresses me. However, the Cam Newton comparison is quite a bit off.

Thomas is nowhere near the athlete Cam Newton was. Thomas is a slightly more athletic Josh Freeman, and also comes with the same inconsistency issues as a passer that Freeman had this point in his college career. He's not in Cam Newton's class when he becomes a runner with the ball in his hands. Newton dominated SEC defenses physically with his combination of size, speed, and explosive cutting ability. Logan Thomas would get eat up by SEC defenses.

He has to improve his consistency, especially against the class of the conference (Clemson). In 2 games against Clemson, Thomas was only able to put up 3 points and 10 points, with only 1 TD and 3 INT's... both blowout losses to Clemson, who themselves got blown out 34-13 by the 5th best team in the SEC (South Carolina). That's what it would be like for Thomas to play an SEC schedule.

I look for Thomas to make some improvements in his consistency after getting a season of starting experience under his belt. If Virginia Tech wins the ACC and is in the mix for a BCS bowl by the end of the season, it'll be because of Logan Thomas. They don't have a RB like David Wilson to rely on in 2012. If Virginia Tech struggles, it's because Logan Thomas didn't make the jump in consistency that he needed to. It's his team and they'll go as far as he takes them.

Cam Newton took a team with a terrible defense that would've lost 6 games without him to an undefeated national title. Logan Thomas has a lot to prove to deserve that type of comparison.... and that's coming from someone who had their doubts about Cam Newton. I like Thomas, but he's not Cam Newton.
    Last edited by TedSlimmJr; 07-22-2012 at 04:26 PM.
    Quote Quote  

5. -45
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hooshoops View Post
    i'm definitely big on mingo...imo in the national championship game he was the best player at the los period...some serious tools there...definitely needs to get stronger but think about packing another 15-20 lbs on that frame which it looks to me like he'll carry very well and you might have yourself a monster end...i'm not ready to say that he's a stand up player only as a pro...i see a lot of jpp potential there...on upside and tools i'd be jumping on him
    Agreed. He's the best pure pass rusher for me at the moment. Im intrigued by other guys as well...but Mingo just jumps out at me with those elite tools. This guy looks like a double digit sack guy to me..
    Quote Quote  

6. -46
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBow305 View Post
    Be prepard to have Swope mocked to us in every single draft next offseason.
    lol. Sherm loves drafting Aggies. Swope is a burner, don't let his skin color fool you, he's one of the fastest guys in the SEC at 4.4. Similar to Wes Welker with quickness and toughness , but Ryan has 2" and 15 lbs on Welker.
    Quote Quote  

7. -47
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Hollywood,Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    A Belichick replacement for Welker and 8-9 million in savings
    Quote Quote  

8. -48

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I'm going to pick it up in here a little bit with some underrated prospects, or even in some instances, may not be rated at all due to nobody taking notice... which is likely the case with Javone Lawson. If you read my Senior prospects thread for 2012, you probably didn't even notice him on my list of Senior wide receivers. Make no mistake, the kid can play... and he can play much better than several of his peers who will end up absorbing some hype.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him be a later round pick or go completely undrafted on draft day... he's probably a little better than that.

Watch him against San Diego St. last year in the New Orleans Bowl where he went off for 9 catches, 193 yards, and 2 TD's. Specifically, pay attention when he's matched up against Larry Parker and Leon McFadden. Watch his games against Arizona and Oklahoma St. (2011 and 2010), pay attention when he's matched up with NFL caliber CB's like Trevin Wade, Broderick Brown, etc.

T.Y. Hilton, Alfred Morris, Dwight Bentley, Demario Davis, Ladarius Green, Jonathan Massaquoi, and Bobby Rainey have all moved on to the NFL after being some of the most underrated prospects in the country all season last year. With these kids having moved on to the NFL, Javone Lawson takes the baton as the best player in the Sun Belt Conference in my opinion.
    Quote Quote  

9. -49
    Tie your shoes, god damn it.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I wonder what Margus Hunt is gonna do with his career. My cousin threw with him before SMU dissolved its track and field program. Cousin transferred to Stanford and Margus joined the football team as a 3-4 DE. He could easily play 4-3 though. He could probably play any position. He's just a freak.

Didn't Skov get arrested? I've wanted him in aqua and orange since he started playing at Stanford. Maybe we can get him in the later rounds.

This team needs more freaky athletes. We have the coaches to mold them.
    Quote Quote  

10. -50
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Big fan of Sean Porter. I think he could be an impact player in either the 3-4 or 4-3 as a rush LB; a bit smaller than most OLBs but his speed and agility is impressive.
    Quote Quote