Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.



VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 137

Thread: "What if you're wrong?" - Richard Dawkins

  1. -31
    NY8123's Avatar
    Sophisticated Redneck

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jan 2008
    Posts:
    12,309
    vCash:
    10458
    Loc:
    out in the Ding Weeds
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alter2Ego View Post
    ALTER2EGO -to- ANY8123:
    God tells us in his inspired Word, the Bible, that death is the opposite of life. The terminology "could be" is nothing more than personal opinion aka speculations. But since that seems to work for you, go for it.

    So is the Bible, it is no different than any other written book it was transcribed by human interpretations of events of history. The bible didn't exist before humans, it wasn't discovered by humans centuries after creation, it was derived from events that transcended human interpretation at the time of said event. So the terminology "bible" could also be interpreted as opinion. Nothing is absolute when it is open to interpretation.

    Quote Originally Posted by Alter2Ego View Post

    ALTER2EGO -to- ANY8123:
    I don't recall quoting any scriptures dealing with death in my previous post.
    But you did. You claimed "According to the Bible, the dead are unconscious and know absolutely nothing." which is a reference to Eclessiastes 9:4-6 which is also open to interpretation and not an absolute. Most theologists would say that scripture represents the separation of soul and body, we leave behind what we were for what we are to become, again a human interpretation.
    "I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally" ~ W.C. Fields

    Quote Quote  

  2. -32
    Alter2Ego's Avatar
    Scout Team

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Aug 2012
    Posts:
    34
    vCash:
    1000
    Loc:
    California USA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NY8123 View Post
    So is the Bible, it is no different than any other written book it was transcribed by human interpretations of events of history. The bible didn't exist before humans, it wasn't discovered by humans centuries after creation, it was derived from events that transcended human interpretation at the time of said event. So the terminology "bible" could also be interpreted as opinion. Nothing is absolute when it is open to interpretation.
    ALTER2EGO -to- NY8123:
    That's your opinion. The facts say otherwise. The Bible presents itself as being written under divine inspiration of God whose name is Yahweh/Jehovah/YHWH. Evidence of divine inspiration is seen in the nearly 2,000 accurately fulfilled prophecies.

    It is impossible for mere humans to accurately predict events to the tune of nearly 2,000 times, and to predict events years before they occur while giving detailed descriptions of what will occur.



    Quote Originally Posted by NY8123 View Post
    But you did. You claimed "According to the Bible, the dead are unconscious and know absolutely nothing." which is a reference to Eclessiastes 9:4-6 which is also open to interpretation and not an absolute. Most theologists would say that scripture represents the separation of soul and body, we leave behind what we were for what we are to become, again a human interpretation.
    ALTER2EGO -to- NY8123:
    The above was not a quotation, it was a statement or a summarization of what's written in the Bible. Whenever I quote scriptures, I use dark red print, and I also identify the Bible book, chapter, and verse
    .
    Quote Quote  

  3. -33
    phins_4_ever's Avatar
    FinHeaven VIP

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Oct 2008
    Posts:
    4,681
    vCash:
    34695
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alter2Ego View Post
    ALTER2EGO -to- NY8123:
    That's your opinion. The facts say otherwise. The Bible presents itself as being written under divine inspiration of God whose name is Yahweh/Jehovah/YHWH. Evidence of divine inspiration is seen in the nearly 2,000 accurately fulfilled prophecies.

    It is impossible for mere humans to accurately predict events to the tune of nearly 2,000 times, and to predict events years before they occur while giving detailed descriptions of what will occur.




    ALTER2EGO -to- NY8123:
    The above was not a quotation, it was a statement or a summarization of what's written in the Bible. Whenever I quote scriptures, I use dark red print, and I also identify the Bible book, chapter, and verse
    .
    The Bible hasn't predicted anything.
    The Bible is a book which copies many other religions. Christianity is by far one of the youngest religions being preceded by many others before. Sorry, your exclusive rights just expired.
    Quote Quote  

  4. -34
    Alter2Ego's Avatar
    Scout Team

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Aug 2012
    Posts:
    34
    vCash:
    1000
    Loc:
    California USA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by phins_4_ever View Post
    The Bible hasn't predicted anything.
    The Bible is a book which copies many other religions. Christianity is by far one of the youngest religions being preceded by many others before. Sorry, your exclusive rights just expired.
    ALTER2EGO -to- PHINS_4_EVER:
    Is the forum supposed to take your word for it? Expressing your opinion is all well and good--which is all you've done here. Now, suppose you present documentary evidence to back up what you're saying. Show me and the rest of the forum where the Bible copied other religions by presenting Bible book, chapter, and verse and then by quoting the other religions that have the exact same presentation as what you quote from the Bible? This I've got to see.
    Quote Quote  

  5. -35
    phins_4_ever's Avatar
    FinHeaven VIP

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Oct 2008
    Posts:
    4,681
    vCash:
    34695
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alter2Ego View Post
    ALTER2EGO -to- PHINS_4_EVER:
    Is the forum supposed to take your word for it? Expressing your opinion is all well and good--which is all you've done here. Now, suppose you present documentary evidence to back up what you're saying. Show me and the rest of the forum where the Bible copied other religions by presenting Bible book, chapter, and verse and then by quoting the other religions that have the exact same presentation as what you quote from the Bible? This I've got to see.
    Heck I go a step further and challenge you on Jesus. He is a myth taken from other religions. Without Jesus no more Bible.
    The Bible is a mix of fiction and plagiarism from other religions. Written over several centuries, written centuries after 'the fact' and done so by multiple people.
    Quote Quote  

  6. -36
    NY8123's Avatar
    Sophisticated Redneck

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jan 2008
    Posts:
    12,309
    vCash:
    10458
    Loc:
    out in the Ding Weeds
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alter2Ego View Post
    ALTER2EGO -to- PHINS_4_EVER:
    Is the forum supposed to take your word for it? Expressing your opinion is all well and good--which is all you've done here. Now, suppose you present documentary evidence to back up what you're saying. Show me and the rest of the forum where the Bible copied other religions by presenting Bible book, chapter, and verse and then by quoting the other religions that have the exact same presentation as what you quote from the Bible? This I've got to see.
    Your documented proof is not offered anywhere and the sad thing about it is you haven't even asked any one user here on the is site what faith they are or are not. You assume many things as you have on every other website you have posted on, all over the web all you offer is your beliefs. I have read your posts on many other sites and you offer only the same higher than thou rhetoric over and over. When you are asked a question you never answer with fact, only your interpretation of your beliefs.

    If you took the time to understand your fellow man and his beliefs the sides wouldn't be so divided as to what is and isn't fact. You cannot prove atheism, evolution, Christianity, Muslim or any other theory as fact because there is one simple question that undermines ever religion, if God created man from his image, who created God? If nothing existed before God how did God come into being? These are questions you have to take it on faith, faith as described by religion and not Websters dictionary. Faith is unprovable and undeniable.

    Even in Greek religion with worshiped numerous gods, Chaos ruled as a single god before the separation of heaven and earth divided into numerous gods to worship but even so it descends from one common god, a theory much more common to all religions than not, one common god or event.

    Just because you study opposing philosophy and religion doesn't mean you have to accept it all as fact but it means you can understand it. The great thing about our nation is your right to choose and change your beliefs as you see fit. Even the most devote Christians meet with Jewish and Muslim leaders to discuss world divide all the time and there is one common agreement between them all, understanding and relationships:

    "What do you think is the most powerful way to achieve world peace?" the Rev. Elanor Stanton said.

    "Through relationships, not through politics," Rabbi Yaakov Kellman replied. "If we don't have relationships, we do not look at one another."

    The theme of Sunday's symposium at the Hindu Temple Society of the Capital District on Albany Shaker Road was a "pursuit of peace and world harmony."
    Leaders from six faiths -- Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism and Sikhism -- swapped philosophies, anecdotes and thoughts on how to eradicate friction between people of different beliefs.

    "Harmony is not achieved when everybody is singing the same note," Kellman said. "It is the combination of many different notes."


    Read more: http://www.timesunion.com/local/arti...#ixzz22uz32Sbc
    Last edited by NY8123; 08-08-2012 at 05:05 PM.
    Quote Quote  

  7. -37
    Alter2Ego's Avatar
    Scout Team

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Aug 2012
    Posts:
    34
    vCash:
    1000
    Loc:
    California USA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by phins_4_ever View Post
    Heck I go a step further and challenge you on Jesus. He is a myth taken from other religions. Without Jesus no more Bible. The Bible is a mix of fiction and plagiarism from other religions. Written over several centuries, written centuries after 'the fact' and done so by multiple people.
    ALTER2EGO -to- PHINS_4_EVER:
    The fact that I asked you for evidence in my last post to prove your claims about the Bible being copied from other religions, and you then responded as above--with an almost identical wash, rinse, and repeat of the same thing--says one thing: you have no evidence to prove it.
    Quote Quote  

  8. -38
    rob19's Avatar
    Soul Rebel

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Mar 2006
    Posts:
    7,542
    vCash:
    9622
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Alter2Ego View Post
    ALTER2EGO -to- PHINS_4_EVER:
    The fact that I asked you for evidence in my last post to prove your claims about the Bible being copied from other religions, and you then responded as above--with an almost identical wash, rinse, and repeat of the same thing--says one thing: you have no evidence to prove it.
    You familiar with 'The Dead Sea Scrolls'?






    ^watch those, get back at me
    Last edited by rob19; 08-08-2012 at 01:23 AM.
    Quote Quote  

  9. -39
    rob19's Avatar
    Soul Rebel

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Mar 2006
    Posts:
    7,542
    vCash:
    9622
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo










    Quote Quote  

  10. -40
    DisturbedShifty's Avatar
    Wort-wort-wort!!!

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2006
    Posts:
    6,226
    vCash:
    5960
    Loc:
    Pueblo, Colorado
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Xbox LogoHalo LegendaryGalactic Empire medalPlaystation LogoNintendo Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Alter2Ego View Post
    ALTER2EGO -to- PHINS_4_EVER:
    The fact that I asked you for evidence in my last post to prove your claims about the Bible being copied from other religions, and you then responded as above--with an almost identical wash, rinse, and repeat of the same thing--says one thing: you have no evidence to prove it.
    I know it's Bill Maher. But he does point out that there are "Gods" that came BEFORE Jesus, that have the exact same "origin" story as Jesus. And if you don't believe Maher, then look them up yourself. But I have a feeling you won't.

    Quote Quote  

Similar Threads

  1. marlon wayans to play richard pryor in "biopic"
    By dreday in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 02-24-2010, 02:55 PM
  2. video: what "shoe bomber" Richard Reid could have done to a plane
    By CharlestonPhan in forum Political | War Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-06-2007, 08:42 PM
  3. Replies: 196
    Last Post: 12-13-2006, 05:25 PM
  4. Replies: 38
    Last Post: 05-10-2006, 04:28 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •