Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.



VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 137

Thread: "What if you're wrong?" - Richard Dawkins

  1. -81
    Statler Waldorf's Avatar
    Bench Warmer

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jun 2005
    Posts:
    1,261
    vCash:
    1259
    Loc:
    Oregon
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerdolphin View Post
    So why does a God make what we see and observe empirically any more or less true? It doesnt.


    …but He does! That’s the whole point; just take the reliability of your senses for example. You must assume your senses are reliable before you can learn anything through observation, and yet if we lived in a purely natural universe we have no reason at all to believe our senses are generally reliable. Now if I am a creation of a rational God who desires for us to gain knowledge about Him it makes sense for our senses to be reliable enough to gain knowledge through studying scripture and nature.
    Total Depravity
    Unconditional Election
    Limited Atonement
    Irresistible Grace
    Perseverance of the Saints
    Quote Quote  

  2. -82
    JackFinfan's Avatar
    Starter

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Aug 2010
    Posts:
    484
    vCash:
    2547
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Statler Waldorf View Post

    Really? Why? I think the same thing about people who think the earth is 4.3 Billion years old.
    Sorry, your opinion doesn't outweight 99% of scientists. Hell, even most churches don't agree with you. All the evidence points towards an old Earth, not a 6000 year old Earth. Care to explain fossils? How about the various dating methods we use?

    Funny thing about you after reading through all your arguments, if 1 piece of evidence supports your argument you take it and run, but when piles of evidence contradict your beliefs you choose to ignore them completly.

    I have no dog in the fight. 4.3 billion or 6000 years, it really doesn't matter to me. If evidence supported your side, I'd gladly change my mind.
    Quote Quote  

  3. -83
    tylerdolphin's Avatar
    More Smug than Birthday Dog

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Sep 2005
    Posts:
    12,343
    vCash:
    4248
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91
    Quote Originally Posted by Statler Waldorf View Post

    …but He does! That’s the whole point; just take the reliability of your senses for example. You must assume your senses are reliable before you can learn anything through observation, and yet if we lived in a purely natural universe we have no reason at all to believe our senses are generally reliable. Now if I am a creation of a rational God who desires for us to gain knowledge about Him it makes sense for our senses to be reliable enough to gain knowledge through studying scripture and nature.
    Well thats the thing...I do have reason to believe my senses are reliable. Science understands how my eye works. I know that what I am seeing is actually light reflecting off things. They know how hearing works. They know how smell works. being that science understands this, why cant I trust it? I need God in order to understand and know for certain that a sharp knife is dangerous? My eyes and sense tell me that.




    Quote Quote  

  4. -84
    Statler Waldorf's Avatar
    Bench Warmer

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jun 2005
    Posts:
    1,261
    vCash:
    1259
    Loc:
    Oregon
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JackFinfan View Post
    Sorry, your opinion doesn't outweight 99% of scientists. Hell, even most churches don't agree with you. All the evidence points towards an old Earth, not a 6000 year old Earth.


    Wait a second, I thought you were supposed be more knowledgeable about science than me, if that’s the case then why are you making an appeal to majority opinion among scientifsts? You should know that scientific fact has never been and will never be determined by majority opinion. You’re starting to make it look like I am not the one who is actually ignorant when it comes to such matters.

    Care to explain fossils? How about the various dating methods we use?


    What would you like to know about fossils? Which dating methods are you referring to? You’re going to have to be a bit more specific.

    Funny thing about you after reading through all your arguments, if 1 piece of evidence supports your argument you take it and run, but when piles of evidence contradict your beliefs you choose to ignore them completly.


    Huh? Please point to one instance where I have used an evidential argument. My argument is far stronger than mere empirical evidence; it argues that the very idea of evidence is meaningless without God’s existence. My argument is a logical one, not an evidential one.

    I have no dog in the fight. 4.3 billion or 6000 years, it really doesn't matter to me. If evidence supported your side, I'd gladly change my mind.


    You keep referring to evidence and yet I have seen you provide nothing aside from some faulty argument about majority opinion amongst scientists. So you’re really not giving me much to work with here.
    Quote Quote  

  5. -85
    Statler Waldorf's Avatar
    Bench Warmer

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jun 2005
    Posts:
    1,261
    vCash:
    1259
    Loc:
    Oregon
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerdolphin View Post
    Well thats the thing...I do have reason to believe my senses are reliable. Science understands how my eye works. I know that what I am seeing is actually light reflecting off things. They know how hearing works. They know how smell works. being that science understands this, why cant I trust it? I need God in order to understand and know for certain that a sharp knife is dangerous? My eyes and sense tell me that.


    How do you have any idea what science tells you? Or that light exists? Or that your eyes and ears even exist? Did you hear that somewhere? Or maybe did you see that in a textbook somewhere? So you really just appealed to your senses in order to justify why you should trust your senses- seems a bit circular to me. With God’s existence I have a logical reason as to why I can trust my senses, because I was created by a perfect being that cannot lie so that my senses can accurately depict reality which was also created by Him.
    Quote Quote  

  6. -86
    tylerdolphin's Avatar
    More Smug than Birthday Dog

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Sep 2005
    Posts:
    12,343
    vCash:
    4248
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91
    Quote Originally Posted by Statler Waldorf View Post

    How do you have any idea what science tells you? Or that light exists? Or that your eyes and ears even exist? Did you hear that somewhere? Or maybe did you see that in a textbook somewhere? So you really just appealed to your senses in order to justify why you should trust your senses- seems a bit circular to me. With God’s existence I have a logical reason as to why I can trust my senses, because I was created by a perfect being that cannot lie so that my senses can accurately depict reality which was also created by Him.
    It makes sense to you...YOU being the key word. I have no idea what you are even trying to accomplish here. The statement that we need God to know something simply isnt true however you slice it.

    Right off the bat, you have no idea if there really is a God or not, so your premised is flawed from the get go. But Ill grant you God. Lets say he is real. That in itself does not even prove that we can only know because of God. the logic doesnt add up. We know because we experience things and use our brains to deduce what is happening. God isnt needed. Lets say there is a God, but he is not a loving or caring God. he just put us here and called it a day. Why wouldnt we be able to deduce perfectly logical things? Lots of animals can do that and they certainly have no use for a God and God doesnt have an interest in saving them.
    Quote Quote  

  7. -87
    tylerdolphin's Avatar
    More Smug than Birthday Dog

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Sep 2005
    Posts:
    12,343
    vCash:
    4248
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91
    Basically your argument is:

    1. I know things
    2. I can only know things if there is a God
    3. Therefore christian God is real.

    You dont have any clear, logical way to join 1 to 2 and 2 to 3. You are simply making opinionated statements (which is fine) and wording and pushing them as facts (which is not fine).
    Quote Quote  

  8. -88
    Locke's Avatar
    They looked like strong hands.

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Aug 2008
    Posts:
    8,794
    vCash:
    4800
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerdolphin View Post
    Basically your argument is:

    1. I know things
    2. I can only know things if there is a God
    3. Therefore christian God is real.

    You dont have any clear, logical way to join 1 to 2 and 2 to 3. You are simply making opinionated statements (which is fine) and wording and pushing them as facts (which is not fine).
    Step 1: I know things
    Step 2: I know things because of God
    Step 3: ????????
    Step 4: Profit

    This thread has given me quite a few laughs. Love it...

    If I could take your pain and frame it, and hang it on my wall,
    maybe you would never have to hurt again...

    Quote Quote  

  9. -89
    JackFinfan's Avatar
    Starter

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Aug 2010
    Posts:
    484
    vCash:
    2547
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Statler Waldorf View Post

    Wait a second, I thought you were supposed be more knowledgeable about science than me, if thatís the case then why are you making an appeal to majority opinion among scientifsts? You should know that scientific fact has never been and will never be determined by majority opinion. Youíre starting to make it look like I am not the one who is actually ignorant when it comes to such matters.
    ? Did I speak of my knowledge at any time in here, I think you're reaching now. I just stated that I give far more weight to what almost all respectable scientists say over your belief. Also, I never said that science is determined by majority opinion, once again you're making up arguments that don't exist. Science is all about skepticism. The fact that no credible argument can be made against the world being billions of years old from a reputable scientist is pretty convincing.
    Quote Quote  

  10. -90
    JackFinfan's Avatar
    Starter

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Aug 2010
    Posts:
    484
    vCash:
    2547
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Statler Waldorf View Post

    You keep referring to evidence and yet I have seen you provide nothing aside from some faulty argument about majority opinion amongst scientists. So you’re really not giving me much to work with here.
    Radiometric Dating is just 1 example. We have dated various rocks and minerals in various locations with independent dating methods all yielding similar results. Please provide me credible sources debunking radiometric dating. I'll even let you choose which dating methods to debunk.
    Quote Quote  

Similar Threads

  1. marlon wayans to play richard pryor in "biopic"
    By dreday in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 02-24-2010, 02:55 PM
  2. video: what "shoe bomber" Richard Reid could have done to a plane
    By CharlestonPhan in forum Political | War Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-06-2007, 08:42 PM
  3. Replies: 196
    Last Post: 12-13-2006, 05:25 PM
  4. Replies: 38
    Last Post: 05-10-2006, 04:28 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •