Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Suspect Bought Large Stockpile of Rounds Online

1. -11
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NY8123 View Post
    I NYS you have to file a separate form all together for pistol permits. You are then subjected to a bevy of background checks (including the FBI) local police interview and a few others, it does vary a little from county to county but mostly is the same.

For a long gun (rifle, shotgun or other) you need to have a clean record and cannot be a convicted felon (I know some who have lost their pistol permit due to DWI convictions). The check consists of running of your drivers license or sheriff's ID with your social security number. This is a standard check used by local police offices across the nation so I am certain the fed is involved somehow.

Bottom line is simple, no one will ever know if a person who has never committed a crime is going to fall of the deep end. Unless that person communicates their intent publicly and someone can be told there will never be a way to identify the person.
    Yeah I heard New York is pretty strict. I'm actually going through the process of getting my CWP so I don't have to wait after I buy a gun. Not to mention carry it as well .

"Politics is the Art of Looking for Trouble, Finding it Everywhere, Diagnosing it Incorrectly, and Applying the Wrong Remedies"
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    Soul Rebel

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolphins9954 View Post
    They do have background checks though. Which should be enough IMO.

Background check applications for gun buys surge in Colorado

http://news.yahoo.com/background-che...003748284.html

I know here in Florida you have to wait at least 3 days or so until you get your gun. If you have a CWP you don't have to wait at all. IMO a background check should be sufficient enough. Even with a background check and waiting period wouldn't have prevented this.
    I'm not saying it would have prevented this particular case, I do however think a 7 day waiting period for a gun is a good idea. You don't want someone who's in an argument or really pissed at someone to be able to buy a gun that same day. It's the same as the angry letter principal, which is if you write an angry letter and don't mail it for 3 days, you usually don't end up sending the letter. Same concept.

Besides, is 7 days really an unreasonable request for purchasing a death machine? What other possible reason could there be that you couldn't wait 1 lousy week before getting a gun? Skip to 3:10
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rob19 View Post
    I'm not saying it would have prevented this particular case, I do however think a 7 day waiting period for a gun is a good idea. You don't want someone who's in an argument or really pissed at someone to be able to buy a gun that same day. It's the same as the angry letter principal, which is if you write an angry letter and don't mail it for 3 days, you usually don't end up sending the letter. Same concept.

Besides, is 7 days really an unreasonable request for purchasing a death machine? What other possible reason could there be that you couldn't wait 1 lousy week before getting a gun? Skip to 3:10

It should be left up to the states to decide that and they do. I'm not a fan of waiting periods especially 7 days that's too long. If a state decides to have that then that's their prerogative. I had to wait 7 days for my mossberg 500 shotty which totally sucked. Now I'm getting my CWP to avoid that nonsense. In the end we can all pat ourselves on the back and think we made the world a better place with a 7 day waiting period. The truth is it didn't change a thing.
    Quote Quote  

4. -14
    Sophisticated Redneck

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    out in the Ding Weeds
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Yeah I heard New York is pretty strict. I'm actually going through the process of getting my CWP so I don't have to wait after I buy a gun. Not to mention carry it as well .
    I have looked into my Federal permit so you can own pretty much anything you want. You want to talk about background checks, wow I think the literally leave no orifice unchecked. I said **** it, it wasn't that important to me at this time in life. I really have no need for fully auto weapons anyway, semi-auto is perfectly fine with me and if I ever have the need to shoot fully auto I will go to a gun club and try some **** out and go home without all the hassle.
    Peace and Humptiness Forever

Quote Quote  

5. -15
    Soul Rebel

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    It should be left up to the states to decide that and they do. I'm not a fan of waiting periods especially 7 days that's too long. If a state decides to have that then that's their prerogative. I had to wait 7 days for my mossberg 500 shotty which totally sucked. Now I'm getting my CWP to avoid that nonsense. In the end we can all pat ourselves on the back and think we made the world a better place with a 7 day waiting period. The truth is it didn't change a thing.
    If you want to make it a 3 or 5 day waiting period it's better than nothing. If you want the guy who just found out his girlfriend is cheating on him to be able to buy a gun that same day than we'll have to agree to disagree on the matter. For you and most people, a week waiting period is just a slight inconvenience, in some other cases, it might be a potentially life saving window. I understand there are other ways to get guns if you were really determined, but let's not make it easy for them as well.
    Quote Quote  

6. -16
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rob19 View Post
    If you want to make it a 3 or 5 day waiting period it's better than nothing. If you want the guy who just found out his girlfriend is cheating on him to be able to buy a gun that same day than we'll have to agree to disagree on the matter. For you and most people, a week waiting period is just a slight inconvenience, in some other cases, it might be a potentially life saving window. I understand there are other ways to get guns if you were really determined, but let's not make it easy for them as well.
    What's to stop that guy from getting a bat and beating his girlfriend to death??? Or just his hands and strangle her to death?? Happens everyday. For me the notion that waiting periods will stop people who want to kill someone from doing it is a pipe dream.
    Quote Quote  

7. -17
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NY8123 View Post
    I have looked into my Federal permit so you can own pretty much anything you want. You want to talk about background checks, wow I think the literally leave no orifice unchecked. I said **** it, it wasn't that important to me at this time in life. I really have no need for fully auto weapons anyway, semi-auto is perfectly fine with me and if I ever have the need to shoot fully auto I will go to a gun club and try some **** out and go home without all the hassle.
    I agree. I have no use for automatic weapons but the thought of my AK being auto does put a smile on my face. I'm cool with semi though. I'm currently saving up for an AR-15. After that I'll be ok with guns for awhile. A federal permit would be nice but like you said there's a lot involved.
    Quote Quote  

8. -18
    Soul Rebel

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    What's to stop that guy from getting a bat and beating his girlfriend to death??? Or just his hands and strangle her to death?? Happens everyday. For me the notion that waiting periods will stop people who want to kill someone from doing it is a pipe dream.
    gun murders also happen everyday, 9,369 last year; 25 a day. Again I think we'll have to agree to disagree, in my opinion it's only a small inconvenience.
    Quote Quote  

9. -19
    Misery Loves Company

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Kentucky
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Rebel AllianceSuperman logoXbox LogoPlaystation LogoSnakes!
    Wait periods prevent the spur of the momment murders and keep honest people honest. Criminals? they don't bother with wait periods.

---------- Post added at 12:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 PM ----------

I agree. I have no use for automatic weapons but the thought of my AK being auto does put a smile on my face. I'm cool with semi though. I'm currently saving up for an AR-15. After that I'll be ok with guns for awhile. A federal permit would be nice but like you said there's a lot involved.
    yeah again I have to go with the responsible people are responsible. want a full auto AK? sure why not. be trained in gun safety, clean criminal record, and get a license to own one.

Quote Quote  

10. -20
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    so an unemployeed student bought $200,000 worth of ammo, vests, guns, and bomb making material?? yeah sure i'll buy that. so obama is going to sign that UN smalls arms treaty in 2 days right??
    Last edited by regency; 07-25-2012 at 02:11 PM.
    Quote Quote