Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Ross on Ireland's future: "You take it one year at a time..."

1. -41
    FinHeaven Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    120 mi west of Costa Rica
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Jurassic World2013 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by hooshoops View Post
    ross is gonna look bad around the league yet again if philbin doesn't go belly up as a head coach this year ross fires ireland and he then gives philbin the axe...i just can't see ross being that short sighted...i hope he learned from the harbaugh courtship and sparano handling...i never thought that would happen either...
    With the exception of chasing a big name like Peyton Manning, I think Ross wants his football people to run the team. If he fires his main football guy, and the new football guy doesn't want Philbin, why would he fight to keep him?

Quote Quote  

2. -42
    Ryan tannehill...like a boss

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    richmond va
    Thanks / No Thanks
    if ross keeps hiring and firing head coaches or does some shady stuff under the table like he did with the harbaugh courtship he's just gonna continue to turn away potential future high end candidates...philbin now should get a fair shake...one years not gonna do it...we hope he doesn't tell us he's not the guy in one year at least...the league pays attention to stuff like this...if ross wants to change his perception he better get this right...

again i don't see philbin being a hard sell to a gm at this point...but ireland thats proved already to be a tough sell to hc candidates
    hoops scoops 2012 season ..."in 2014 ryan tannehill etches his name in stone amongst the games elite qbs"..."ryan tannehill and andrew luck will carry the afc for the next decade plus the way peyton manning and tom brady have this last decade plus"
    Quote Quote  

3. -43
    Teddy Westside

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Wichita, Kansas
    Thanks / No Thanks
    OT: This could turn out to be the best debate we have had in some time. Hopefully it is only a debate and not a discussion we are having in 6 months.
    Quote Quote  

4. -44
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lurgan, N Ireland
    Thanks / No Thanks
    In the unlikely scenario that we went 0-16 or 1-15 what do you do if you are Ross, get rid of Philbin and Ireland? Not sure myself, hopefully he doesn't have the decision to make.
    For the record Ross going after Harbaugh was probably the right thing to do, getting rid of Sparano first should have been done though. I've said it a few times but going after Harbaugh makes me think Ireland knew Sparano was useless and had Sparano imposed on him as his coach by Parcells, but I've no evidence of any of it. Should have just got rid of Sparano and had a normal recruiting process for a new head coach.
    Quote Quote  

5. -45
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    What we have is a "common sense" disagreement. One person clearly believes it "common sense" that if Jeff Ireland is fired then Joe Philbin is also out, while the rest of everyone else (i.e. the 'commons') think it "common sense" that Philbin will continue on since he was only just hired this year...provided he doesn't totally sh-t the bed and/or alienate everyone in the organization (things that seem hard to imagine based on what we've seen so far) like Cam Cameron and Hue Jackson did.
    Twitter: @ckparrot
    Quote Quote  

6. -46
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 912013 Dolphins LogoMike Wallace 11
    I expect 3 more seasons of Ireland possibly 2 if we continue the path of the Titanic. Ross obviously bought off on keeping him and changing both the offense and the defense so one would hope he knows that takes time. Like it or not Jeffy gets a pss this year.
    The above post is not subject to penalty under the TOS I declare the Hayden Fox defense. " It is impossible for the staff to know my context therefore I cannot be penalized"

Quote Quote  

7. -47
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    What if we finish with 6 or 7 wins? What does Ross do with Ireland? You can only win 6 or 7 games for so long.
    Quote Quote  

8. -48
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Miami could go 6-10 again this year and Ireland and Philbin will both be back. I'll bet on it. Its going to take multiple seasons of losing for him to fire Ireland, especially after he just drafted a QB at #8 overall who will not even play until 2013. And after multiple losing seasons, I'm pretty sure Philbin goes too. Its easy to replace a coach and keep the GM, but rarely do teams keep the coach and change GMs.

People forget that Ross has spent all offseason defending Ireland, and chose Ireland over Jeff Fisher just a few months ago - thats how much confience he has in him. You think hes going to renig on that commitment after 1 year? Just because you dont like Ireland doesnt mean he will be fired after this year.
    Quote Quote  

9. -49
    Ryan tannehill...like a boss

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    richmond va
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Irishfinfan1 View Post
    In the unlikely scenario that we went 0-16 or 1-15 what do you do if you are Ross, get rid of Philbin and Ireland? Not sure myself, hopefully he doesn't have the decision to make.
    For the record Ross going after Harbaugh was probably the right thing to do, getting rid of Sparano first should have been done though. I've said it a few times but going after Harbaugh makes me think Ireland knew Sparano was useless and had Sparano imposed on him as his coach by Parcells, but I've no evidence of any of it. Should have just got rid of Sparano and had a normal recruiting process for a new head coach.
    hell yeah we should have gone after harbaugh...but we should have axed sparano first...and if not we should have NEVER EVER brought him back after it became public knowledge that we were searching...it just undermines sparanos authority with the players so much when you do something like that...

i still to this day cannot believe a smart businessman like ross could ever ever think that what he was doing was a good idea...it's just baffling
    Quote Quote  

10. -50
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Casas9425 View Post
    What if we finish with 6 or 7 wins? What does Ross do with Ireland? You can only win 6 or 7 games for so long.
    I think he keeps him. There is new coaching this year and transitioning into a new system, along with a #8 overall pick who wont be playing for at least a year. I think Ireland gets a pass this year after Ross has defended him all summer long.
    Quote Quote