Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

Thread: To Offset Or Not To Offset - that is the question.

1. -1
    PowerHungryMo'fo

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

News2 To Offset Or Not To Offset - that is the question.

Given the Tannehill contract situation I thought this article is relevant

What is offset language and why does it matter? It's slightly complex.
    Thanks to the new CBA, first-round contracts are four-year deals with a fifth-year option for the team. That option must be picked up by the March following the player's third year. Once that is exercised, a player's fifth year of the contract (as much as $10 million) is guaranteed for injury. Essentially, teams will make decisions on their first-rounders after Year 3, determining whether or not they want to be on the hook for the remaining money.But in the fourth year comes the debate over offset language. If there is offset language, it allows the team to save money when releasing a player. Let's say a first-rounder is due $2 million in his fourth year. If he's released, and then agrees to a $2 million deal with a new team, the original team is completely off the hook. He receives $2 million from his new club, and the team that drafted him washes its hands of the situation. If there is no offset language, the discarded player receives the guaranteed money from his original team and the full salary from his new team. The original team can't merely allow the new team to pay the remaining guaranteed money as part of the new deal.OK, that was a lot to digest. To put it simply ... Offset language is what teams covet. No offset language -- double-dipping -- benefits the players.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...ffset-language
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    We've got to get Dawn Aponte out of here. She's nothing but bad, stupid news.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Lifelong Fin Fan

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Minneapolis MN
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I wonder if the offset language has more to do with the 5th year contract vs the 4th year being guaranteed? Tannehill's agent could possibly be strong arming the Fins for $10 mil which would be what an upper echelon starting qb makes. That makes more sense then them quarreling over $3-4 mil guaranteed in the 4th year. Either way I think Ross caves and tells Aponte to get the deal done. Who cares what the 5th year salary is. You will know by then if he is a franchise QB or not and can decide to either cut or keep him then.
    When I die I want to hire the Miami Dolphin's to be my pallbearers so they can let me down one last time.

Quote Quote  

4. -4
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 912013 Dolphins LogoMike Wallace 11
    Newton, Locker, Gabbert, Ponder, Dalton, Luck, RG3 correct me if I am wrong none of them held out? Did those teams ball bust over language?

---------- Post added at 04:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:01 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by mnphinfan View Post
    I wonder if the offset language has more to do with the 5th year contract vs the 4th year being guaranteed? Tannehill's agent could possibly be strong arming the Fins for $10 mil which would be what an upper echelon starting qb makes. That makes more sense then them quarreling over $3-4 mil guaranteed in the 4th year. Either way I think Ross caves and tells Aponte to get the deal done. Who cares what the 5th year salary is. You will know by then if he is a franchise QB or not and can decide to either cut or keep him then.
    Everything I have read is the money is settled it is all about guarantee.
    The above post is not subject to penalty under the TOS I declare the Hayden Fox defense. " It is impossible for the staff to know my context therefore I cannot be penalized"

Quote Quote