Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tannehill Holdout: Let's Don't Jump To Conclusions

1. -1
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Tannehill Holdout: Let's Don't Jump To Conclusions

First off let me say, we really know nothing about why the contract has yet to be signed. The SPECULATION, and that is all it is because neither side has confirmed it, is that the holdup is concerning the double dipping clause. For those of you living on the moon who haven't heard about this, what it means is that in year 4 of a rookie's 4 year rookie contract, if that player gets cut by the team that drafted him, he still gets paid for the full 4th year, AS WELL AS any money he gets from the new team that signs him.

An example of this (although not a rookie contract) Chad Johnson is getting paid more THIS year by the pats than we are paying him. His contract was guaranteed so even though he is no longer with the pats they still have to pay him even though he is also making money under the new contract that WE are paying him. Thereby "double dipping".

Now, I see all these threads about this subject and the writters are all saying if Ireland and the front office believed in him they would be willing to guarantee the full 4 years, because the other teams ahead of us did not add the double dipping clause. Why is this seen as a one-way street?? The fact that the dolphins want the extra year 4 clause written in the contract is no more an indication that they don’t believe in Tannehill, than the fact that he doesn’t want to sign it, means that HE doesn’t believe he will be here in year 4. If Tannehill and his agent are sure that he is a star in the making, and that he is worth the contract, and will be the franchise QB, then why worry about being a bust and getting cut in year 4??

This situation is not about Ireland disrespecting his player, it is about doing the right thing. Ryan Tannehill only had 19 starts as a college QB. He had his bright spots but he also had a lot of negatives. I really don’t think RT would have been drafted with the 8th overall pick if it were not for the new CBA where rookies have a much smaller salary cap. The new CBA makes it cost the team less if they take a chance on a high draft pick and that player turns out to be a bust. In other words we needed a QB, and the new CBA makes it a lot smarter for a team to use a high draft pick to “REACH” for a player with high upside, that might also be a bust. Because Ireland “REACHED” for a player that probably wouldn’t have been drafted in the top 10 last year, he is protecting the team by adding the obvious clause.
    The bottom line is Ireland is doing this for the team and NOT himself. One thing is for sure, if RT bombs and is no longer on the team in 4 years, you can bet that Ireland will elsewhere as well. I believe in RT and hope and believe that he is the future of our franchise, but if I am wrong and RT is no longer on the team in 4 years I will be thankful that someone had the forethought to protect the franchise against a $6 million dollar cap hit, that might keep us from signing his replacement.
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Did this really need a new thread? A ton of people have already weighed in on both sides of the offset language issue in multiple other threads...
    Twitter: @ckparrot
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    And before someone says I am taking sides in this debate, let me say that I am not. I just want him signed and in camp competing. I understand RT has to do what is best for him and his family, it is a business after all. I just like and appreciate the way Ireland is handling the situation and trying to protect the team. I also think that it is a pretty shortsighted view to say that the FO doesn't "believe" in their player because they want to write in the year 4 clause. By that logic I guess you should just sign all the players you "believe in" to lifetime contracts.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    We know EXACTLY why the contract hasn't been signed actually.

It's not a secret
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ckparrothead View Post
    Did this really need a new thread? A ton of people have already weighed in on both sides of the offset language issue in multiple other threads...
    Merge it then, I hadn't seen anyone bring this up. All I have seen was everyone acting like Ireland was being too hard or not doing his job. Which happens to be the exact opposite of what he is doing. I was unaware that there was no room for new threads. Geez!!!

---------- Post added at 07:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:11 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by MikeO View Post
    We know EXACTLY why the contract hasn't been signed actually.

It's not a secret
    Really?? My bad, I had not seen where it had been confirmed. All I had seen was a bunch of people's speculation.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    O-town
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KTOWNFINFAN View Post
    Now, I see all these threads about this subject and the writters are all saying if Ireland and the front office believed in him they would be willing to guarantee the full 4 years, because the other teams ahead of us did not add the double dipping clause. Why is this seen as a one-way street?? The fact that the dolphins want the extra year 4 clause written in the contract is no more an indication that they donít believe in Tannehill, than the fact that he doesnít want to sign it, means that HE doesnít believe he will be here in year 4. If Tannehill and his agent are sure that he is a star in the making, and that he is worth the contract, and will be the franchise QB, then why worry about being a bust and getting cut in year 4??
    Tannehill not signing a contract with the off-set language in it goes beyond what you just said. His agent would be committing what would amount to career suicide. What potential client would be willing to sign with Pat Dye if they knew he was the only one to give in to the team's demands to install such language into his client's contract. Not to mention how he would look to all the other agents who got their players signed without the off-set language.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Let's dont make any more threads bout this
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lexington, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    2013 Dolphins LogoCam Wake 91Tannehill 17
    Never mind
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KTOWNFINFAN View Post

---------- Post added at 07:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:11 PM ----------

Really?? My bad, I had not seen where it had been confirmed. All I had seen was a bunch of people's speculation.
    No it was confirmed by club offiicals and Tannehill's agent. Pretty cut and dry actually
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Yippi ka yay mother******!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    montreal
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo2013 Dolphins LogoCam Wake 91
    Its just like someone asking his futur wife to sign a prenup... its contreversial but you can still make an argument either way...
    Quote Quote