Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

Thread: The Republican Immigration Paradox

1. -1
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Magic City
    Thanks / No Thanks
    2013 Dolphins LogoTannehill 17Dolphins Homer

The Republican Immigration Paradox

(I would disclose that I am an immigrant from a former Warsaw pact country that came here during Reagan era with my parents)

Riddle me this my Politics forum friends...
    What is the deal with this big Nativist/anti-immigration sentiment in the GOP?
    During Reagan's time America was very pro immigration especially if you were skilled. I know this can be debated but bear with me.

Classically I was led to believe that it was Democrats who typically at the behest of their Union overlords that blocked immigration for obvious reasons.

I figure there are two types of immigrant the legal highly skilled worker who is invited a company with the H1-B and the illegal highly unskilled worker.
    The highly skilled H1-B worker seems like a no brainer to me. If you are a doctor, engineer, tech person, professor scientist we should want you here.

Even the unskilled person can help the us if allowed to pay taxes and given a path to eventual citizenship.
    Immigrants are typically young or in the prime of their life which allows for many years to pay into taxes and entitlement programs they typically don't go to the doctor because they cannot afford it(i.e they usually go only when sht hits the fan). Most of my patients rarely come and pay in cash when they do.

Immigration helps america avoid the demographic disaster that plagues Europe and Japan. I am referring that they have extremely large retired populations being supported by relatively small work force.
    This is the doom that China is facing and why they will soon repeal the one child act. They have created a huge geriatric population of people and a small population of children to support them.

America on the other hand vetoes actions like the DREAM act(Introduced by Hatch-R/Durbin-D).
    Seriously you have a kid that has been in the US for years. Is a high achiever in college or the military and your plan is to deport them?
    The insanely large personal cost aside this is stupid politically and demographically.
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    They looked like strong hands.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I think all immigrants are being lumped into the argument that Mexicans "TERK R JERBS". With the economy doing bad and unemployment high, it's easier to blame a boogeyman than acknowledge that the issue is actually the 1% planning poorly, especially with housing and banking.

Like you, I'm a first generation son of an immigrant. I grew up in poverty, and watched first-hand as my dad clawed his way from being dirt poor to now owning his own plumbing business and making 6 figures. This is the kind of person that Americans should be proud of. Not anymore sadly...

If I could take your pain and frame it, and hang it on my wall,
    maybe you would never have to hurt again...

Quote Quote  

3. -3
    The Ghost

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lakeland, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I think it has to do more with illegal immigration than anything. The post 9/11 craziness sent a lot of people overboard with it too.

Valandui's Weekly Music Video

Black Crown Initiate: Withering Waves
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlqJA1Rteio
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by trojanma View Post
    (I would disclose that I am an immigrant from a former Warsaw pact country that came here during Reagan era with my parents)

Riddle me this my Politics forum friends...
    What is the deal with this big Nativist/anti-immigration sentiment in the GOP?
    During Reagan's time America was very pro immigration especially if you were skilled. I know this can be debated but bear with me.

Classically I was led to believe that it was Democrats who typically at the behest of their Union overlords that blocked immigration for obvious reasons.

I figure there are two types of immigrant the legal highly skilled worker who is invited a company with the H1-B and the illegal highly unskilled worker.
    The highly skilled H1-B worker seems like a no brainer to me. If you are a doctor, engineer, tech person, professor scientist we should want you here.

Even the unskilled person can help the us if allowed to pay taxes and given a path to eventual citizenship.
    Immigrants are typically young or in the prime of their life which allows for many years to pay into taxes and entitlement programs they typically don't go to the doctor because they cannot afford it(i.e they usually go only when sht hits the fan). Most of my patients rarely come and pay in cash when they do.

Immigration helps america avoid the demographic disaster that plagues Europe and Japan. I am referring that they have extremely large retired populations being supported by relatively small work force.
    This is the doom that China is facing and why they will soon repeal the one child act. They have created a huge geriatric population of people and a small population of children to support them.

America on the other hand vetoes actions like the DREAM act(Introduced by Hatch-R/Durbin-D).
    Seriously you have a kid that has been in the US for years. Is a high achiever in college or the military and your plan is to deport them?
    The insanely large personal cost aside this is stupid politically and demographically.
    You have to understand where the extreme right is coming from. Immigration is made the scapegoat for their own leader's failures. We have many examples where other races, heritages and religions were made scapegoats and none of those examples them had a happy end.

PS: maybe we shouldn't throw phrases like "Warsaw Pact" around. I don't think the KTs of this world know what that means.
    Quote Quote