Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you think players feel about Philbin vs. Sparano?

1. -1
    Lost in the fog

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

How do you think players feel about Philbin vs. Sparano?

I know how many of us FANS feel about Philbin vs. Sparano. †We see obvious differences in press conferences, interviews, and core philosophies. †We see one guy that was overmatched as a head coach, and another who really looks the part, at least for now. †Remember that Sparano looked the part in his first season too.

But I'm curious what you've been able to pick up on players' feelings. †Do you think there's a big difference for them? †Or is it just another coach, with his own strengths and weaknesses just like Sparano had strengths and weaknesses (cue fist-pump jokes). †Of course, when players are asked, they sidestep the question, as nobody wants to directly say, "Yeah Philbin's a lot smarter than Sparano" or "so and so cares more about us than the other guy." †However, sometimes you can pick these things up reading between the lines, being careful not to interject your own biases and assumptions.

Based on what you've read/heard so far, what do you believe are truly the differences between Philbin and Sparano from a player's perspective? †
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    TANNERECTION!!!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Wichita, Kansas
    Thanks / No Thanks
    From a philosophical viewpoint, Philbin coaches in today's NFL. Sparano is stuck in the 80s. From a personal viewpoint that's impossible to say.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Lost in the fog

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MadDog 88 View Post
    Philbin coaches in today's NFL. Sparano is stuck in the 80s.
    I think many of us would agree with you. †But do you have any evidence/indication that players feel this way?
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    TANNERECTION!!!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Wichita, Kansas
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by oasis View Post
    I think many of us would agree with you. But do you have any evidence/indication that players feel this way?
    That's why I edited my post

Hard to say from the players perspective as far as personal relationships. Some players loved Sparano and he is known as a players coach. Some didn't like his anal approach. I suspect you'll find opposing views on Philbin but right now it's to soon to tell.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Winner Under Construction

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Atlanta
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Sure, Philbin is much more pleasant to listen to as he fields questions with well spoken grace, earnestness and logic compared Sporano. His hiring choices for a coaching staff also make loads of sense to me, and they seems to complement each other in the way they think, really want to develop players and basic professionalism. As to how the players will respond to all of this, I just don't know yet. So far, all I've heard in interviews is that the players are certainly wanting to give the new programs and philosophies their best shot. But its training camp, and everyone is on the bubble to one degree or another. So, its hard to say how much that influences what's been said by players. Getting Hard Knocks to take an inside look at things seems a great opportunity for us to get some measurement of the players' view of Philbin and Co. , if by no other means than their emotional reaction to events on film. Bottom line is - we'll have to see.
    The superior man blames himself. The inferior man blames others.

- Don Shula

Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Am I on speaker phone?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Charlotte
    Thanks / No Thanks
    As professionals, I assume they will be focused on executing the game plan and not thinking about who the opponent's OC is.

I'm sure after the game they will go have a chance to catch up with him.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    InRegioneCaecorum RexEstLusces

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Zombieland (lookn4 Myles)
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Philbin thinks like a chess player, Tony more so a checkers player.. that's the crux of the difference.

"geno and idzik have done the impossible: make jets fans wish
    the tanny/sanchez days were here again" > Darksider, Jetnation

Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I remember the players giving glowing praise in 2008 and even being supportive throughout the remainder of his tenure. Philbin will be appreciated as long as he is successful.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    whenever there is a new coach fans, players, etc... will always focus on the positive changes. All that really matters are the wins and losses, he doesn't have a big legacy to follow w/ Tony so if he's a good coach the wins will come and this will never be a debate.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by oasis View Post
    I think many of us would agree with you. But do you have any evidence/indication that players feel this way?
    I don't remember who said this, but one player commented that Sparono was like a motivator, but when you talk to Philbin you see he's an educator.
    Quote Quote