Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.



VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 86

Thread: Jets scale back Quinton Coples workload

  1. -31
    The New Guy's Avatar
    Starter

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Sep 2005
    Posts:
    1,770
    vCash:
    101894
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by nyjunc View Post
    Didn't need help in 2009, it was a win and in scenario just like 2001, 2004 and 2006. The only year we needed help was 2002 where we needed EITHER Clevelnad to lose to Atlanta or Miami to lose to NE and the chances of that happening were very good.

    I get that it made your season to think you knocked us out of the playoffs so if you want to believe that please do.
    I wasn't just talking about week 17 alone. The 2009 Jets indeed needed help getting in. The Jets needed help in 2002 and 2004. They needed help in 2008 and 2011, but didn't get it. It wouldn't have mattered even if they did get help since they couldn't even beat Miami. After the loss to Miami, it didn't matter who won or loss since Miami already knocked them out.

    I get that it makes you feel better to know that the Jets wouldn't have made the playoffs anyways, but the fact is, Miami is the one who knocked them out since their game ended before any of the other games did.
    Quote Quote  

  2. -32
    Locke's Avatar
    They looked like strong hands.

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Aug 2008
    Posts:
    8,867
    vCash:
    5448
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nyjunc View Post
    Some might say and some would be wrong. Miami played w/ zero pressure to win, when they did play w/ pressure to win they were an embarrassment. Our D wasn't very good either, this is not a battle of top Ds but at least our D helped us stayed in contention throughout the season.

    Spotting when you were actually in the race then shutting down dead teams like ABuf and NYJ late in the year? that impresses you?
    Ah yes, everyone who disagrees with you is wrong. nyjunc, the only man in the world who is never wrong. Ridiculous.

    Your stupid argument about "pressure" is bull****. Always has been and it always will. Everyone who plays in the NFL is under pressure, period. You mess up? You're cut. You're out of a job. Don't sit here and act like some teams, just because they are out of the playoff hunt, have no pressure. They have even MORE pressure because every single one of those men is on the chopping block after the season ends. Don't sit here and act like that isn't pressure, because you know damn well that it is. The only reason you're going to spin here is because you know if you admit I'm right, and you know I am, it negates your argument with everyone about why a mediocre QB and a mediocre team has been "elite". What a joke...

    If I could take your pain and frame it, and hang it on my wall,
    maybe you would never have to hurt again...

    Quote Quote  

  3. -33
    nyjunc's Avatar
    Hall Of Famer

    Status:
    Online
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Mar 2004
    Posts:
    28,705
    vCash:
    31759
    Loc:
    New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Blog Entries:
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by The New Guy View Post
    I wasn't just talking about week 17 alone. The 2009 Jets indeed needed help getting in. The Jets needed help in 2002 and 2004. They needed help in 2008 and 2011, but didn't get it. It wouldn't have mattered even if they did get help since they couldn't even beat Miami. After the loss to Miami, it didn't matter who won or loss since Miami already knocked them out.

    I get that it makes you feel better to know that the Jets wouldn't have made the playoffs anyways, but the fact is, Miami is the one who knocked them out since their game ended before any of the other games did.
    The situations were totally different. In 2009 and 2011 w/ 2 games to play we controlled our destiny, in '09 we won our last 2, in '11 we lost our last 2. We didn't have control and needed a bunch of teams to lose in 2011.

    Miami didn't knock us out from anything, the Giant loss crushed us and ended our season. If we beat Miami we still don't make the playofs but success in Miami is beating the Jets so congrats!

    Quote Originally Posted by Locke View Post
    Ah yes, everyone who disagrees with you is wrong. nyjunc, the only man in the world who is never wrong. Ridiculous.

    Your stupid argument about "pressure" is bull****. Always has been and it always will. Everyone who plays in the NFL is under pressure, period. You mess up? You're cut. You're out of a job. Don't sit here and act like some teams, just because they are out of the playoff hunt, have no pressure. They have even MORE pressure because every single one of those men is on the chopping block after the season ends. Don't sit here and act like that isn't pressure, because you know damn well that it is. The only reason you're going to spin here is because you know if you admit I'm right, and you know I am, it negates your argument with everyone about why a mediocre QB and a mediocre team has been "elite". What a joke...
    I can't help you if you think playing w/ playoff pressure is the same as playing out the string.

    Congrats on your great D, what a job. When they helped you get to 0-7 they were awful but man did they turn it on for the incredibly important stretch drive. Congrats on having such a great defense, a D so great they changed the scheme.
    Quote Quote  

  4. -34
    The New Guy's Avatar
    Starter

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Sep 2005
    Posts:
    1,770
    vCash:
    101894
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by nyjunc View Post
    The situations were totally different. In 2009 and 2011 w/ 2 games to play we controlled our destiny, in '09 we won our last 2, in '11 we lost our last 2. We didn't have control and needed a bunch of teams to lose in 2011.

    Miami didn't knock us out from anything, the Giant loss crushed us and ended our season. If we beat Miami we still don't make the playofs but success in Miami is beating the Jets so congrats!
    They were different. In 2009 the Jets got to face 2 teams (that weren't dead) but had no desire to win the game. They were not in control of their destiny in 2009 with 2 games to go. They could have been, but they couldn't beat Atlanta. They needed help to make the playoffs in 2009.

    The Jets season wasn't over after the Giants game. They still had a very realistic shot at the playoffs. They had no shot after the Miami game. It didn't matter how any of the other games turned out since Miami already eliminated them. It turned out that they would have been eliminated by another team anyways, but Miami knocked them out first. Had the Tenn / Hou game ended before the Dolphins / Jets, I would say that Tenn knocked them out. But that is not how it went down.
    Quote Quote  

  5. -35
    nyjunc's Avatar
    Hall Of Famer

    Status:
    Online
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Mar 2004
    Posts:
    28,705
    vCash:
    31759
    Loc:
    New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Blog Entries:
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by The New Guy View Post
    They were different. In 2009 the Jets got to face 2 teams (that weren't dead) but had no desire to win the game. They were not in control of their destiny in 2009 with 2 games to go. They could have been, but they couldn't beat Atlanta. They needed help to make the playoffs in 2009.

    The Jets season wasn't over after the Giants game. They still had a very realistic shot at the playoffs. They had no shot after the Miami game. It didn't matter how any of the other games turned out since Miami already eliminated them. It turned out that they would have been eliminated by another team anyways, but Miami knocked them out first. Had the Tenn / Hou game ended before the Dolphins / Jets, I would say that Tenn knocked them out. But that is not how it went down.
    When they took the field in Indy they took it knowing a win that day and a win next week would get them into the playoffs. Did we get a break playing teams that wrapped things up? Absolutely but we took advantage, some teams get 5-6 dead teams to end a season and don't have to face Brady, other teams get a qtr and a half of backups in one game and a half of backups(leading 27-0) in another.

    If the Jets beat Miami would we have made the playoffs?
    Quote Quote  

  6. -36
    The New Guy's Avatar
    Starter

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Sep 2005
    Posts:
    1,770
    vCash:
    101894
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by nyjunc View Post
    When they took the field in Indy they took it knowing a win that day and a win next week would get them into the playoffs. Did we get a break playing teams that wrapped things up? Absolutely but we took advantage, some teams get 5-6 dead teams to end a season and don't have to face Brady, other teams get a qtr and a half of backups in one game and a half of backups(leading 27-0) in another.

    If the Jets beat Miami would we have made the playoffs?
    They only knew a win that day and a win the next week would get them in based on how things went in the early games. With 2 weeks to go, they did not control their own destiny. They needed help. Dead teams aren't as easy as teams that have no desire to win. In 2009, the Jets couldn't beat dead 7-9 Miami (X2), 6-10 Buff, 7-9 Jax or Atl. The 2011 Jets couldn't beat dead Miami to stay alive for a playoff spot.

    Had Houston converted the 2 point conversion at the end of their game, would the Jets have made the playoffs? I know it makes you feel better to know that the Jets wouldn't have made it anyways (since Houston lost by 1 point), but the fact is, it didn't matter how that game turned out becasue Miami eliminated them first. That is a fact that can not be disputed.
    Quote Quote  

  7. -37
    nyjunc's Avatar
    Hall Of Famer

    Status:
    Online
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Mar 2004
    Posts:
    28,705
    vCash:
    31759
    Loc:
    New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Blog Entries:
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by The New Guy View Post
    They only knew a win that day and a win the next week would get them in based on how things went in the early games. With 2 weeks to go, they did not control their own destiny. They needed help. Dead teams aren't as easy as teams that have no desire to win. In 2009, the Jets couldn't beat dead 7-9 Miami (X2), 6-10 Buff, 7-9 Jax or Atl. The 2011 Jets couldn't beat dead Miami to stay alive for a playoff spot.

    Had Houston converted the 2 point conversion at the end of their game, would the Jets have made the playoffs? I know it makes you feel better to know that the Jets wouldn't have made it anyways (since Houston lost by 1 point), but the fact is, it didn't matter how that game turned out becasue Miami eliminated them first. That is a fact that can not be disputed.
    Did they have a win and in scenario for week 17 in 2009?
    Did they have a win and in scenario for week 17 in 2011?

    The situations were nothing alike.


    If we beat Miami 62-7 would we have made the playoffs in 2011?
    Quote Quote  

  8. -38
    The New Guy's Avatar
    Starter

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Sep 2005
    Posts:
    1,770
    vCash:
    101894
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by nyjunc View Post
    Did they have a win and in scenario for week 17 in 2009?
    Did they have a win and in scenario for week 17 in 2011?

    The situations were nothing alike.


    If we beat Miami 62-7 would we have made the playoffs in 2011?
    I never said the situations were exactly the same. I said they needed help as they have before. The Jets controlled their destiny against the Eagles in week 15 and got blown out. They still had a really good shot at making the playoffs if they beat the Giants in week 16, but lost. They still had a very realistic shot at making the playoffs with a win against Miami, and lost. Controlling their own destiny or not, the Jets didn't play well.

    You keep repeating the same thing which doesn't change reality. It doesn't matter how the Tenn / Houston game turned out. Miami had already eliminated the Jets.
    Quote Quote  

  9. -39
    nyjunc's Avatar
    Hall Of Famer

    Status:
    Online
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Mar 2004
    Posts:
    28,705
    vCash:
    31759
    Loc:
    New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Blog Entries:
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by The New Guy View Post
    I never said the situations were exactly the same. I said they needed help as they have before. The Jets controlled their destiny against the Eagles in week 15 and got blown out. They still had a really good shot at making the playoffs if they beat the Giants in week 16, but lost. They still had a very realistic shot at making the playoffs with a win against Miami, and lost. Controlling their own destiny or not, the Jets didn't play well.

    You keep repeating the same thing which doesn't change reality. It doesn't matter how the Tenn / Houston game turned out. Miami had already eliminated the Jets.
    We controlled our own destiny until the loss to the Giants. The only playoff app we needed help in week 17 in the last 20 years was 2002 when we needed either Cle or Mia to lose. Every other time we made it we had destiny in our hands the final week(if it wasn't wrapped up).

    '98 clinched 2 seed in week 16
    '01 win and in week 17
    '02 needed win and Mia or Cle loss- Mia lost.
    '04 didn't even need to win week 17
    '06 win and in week 17
    '09 win and in week 17
    '10 clinched in week 16

    The Jets were a dead team just like '08 and just like '08 if we beat Miami in week 17 we weren't going to the playoffs.
    Quote Quote  

  10. -40
    The New Guy's Avatar
    Starter

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Sep 2005
    Posts:
    1,770
    vCash:
    101894
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by nyjunc View Post
    We controlled our own destiny until the loss to the Giants. The only playoff app we needed help in week 17 in the last 20 years was 2002 when we needed either Cle or Mia to lose. Every other time we made it we had destiny in our hands the final week(if it wasn't wrapped up).

    '98 clinched 2 seed in week 16
    '01 win and in week 17
    '02 needed win and Mia or Cle loss- Mia lost.
    '04 didn't even need to win week 17 ------------- Only because Buff lost to Pitt. Otherwise the Jets would have been eliminated.
    '06 win and in week 17
    '09 win and in week 17
    '10 clinched in week 16

    The Jets were a dead team just like '08 and just like '08 if we beat Miami in week 17 we weren't going to the playoffs.
    That is the point. You act like the Jets just threw in the towel becasue they needed help getting in, but they didn't need help against the Eagles or Giants and played just as bad as they did against the Dolphins in week 17.

    Again, I was not just talking about going into the final week of the season. They needed help in 09 like they needed help a few other times. Regardless, the Jets did need help the final week of the season in 02 as well as 04. The 04 Jets only made it becasue Buff lost to Pitt the final week of the season.

    You are not dead until you are eliminated. The 08 Jets were not eliminated until they either lost to the Dolphins, or Bal beat Jax. I don't know which happened first, so I'm not sure if Miami was the one who eliminated them in 08, or if it was the Ravens. I do know that the Dolphins game ended before Tenn / Hou, so Miami eliminated the Jets before Tenn did in 2011.
    Quote Quote  

Similar Threads

  1. Quinton Coples has a plan to stop Dustin Keller!
    By Greer17 in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 06-09-2013, 10:35 AM
  2. Quinton Coples
    By DKphin in forum NFL Draft Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-19-2012, 11:22 AM
  3. Buyer Beware: Quinton Coples!!
    By ticophin in forum NFL Draft Forum
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 04-13-2012, 12:22 AM
  4. Michael floyd or Quinton Coples
    By 1Dolfan in forum NFL Draft Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-12-2012, 09:18 PM
  5. Dolphins DL Coach putting Quinton Coples through drills
    By DefensiveEnd76 in forum NFL Draft Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-09-2012, 11:55 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •