Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789

Thread: Jets scale back Quinton Coples workload

1. -81
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Do I think they were trying on the field? sure but when you know you have it clinched the sense of urgency is different and I don't buy what Herm said.

They went in winning in 2001 and lost in the WC rd, they went in losing in 2004 and won in the WC rd.
    Quote Quote  

2. -82
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by nyjunc View Post
    Do I think they were trying on the field? sure but when you know you have it clinched the sense of urgency is different and I don't buy what Herm said.

They went in winning in 2001 and lost in the WC rd, they went in losing in 2004 and won in the WC rd.
    It doesn't matter what you and I think. None of it has anything to do with my original statement that the Jets needed Buff to lose in order to clinch a playoff spot. Just like it doesn't matter if the Jets got help in 2011 or not becasue Miami already eliminated them. It is two simple facts that can not be debated.

I don't see your point on the last statement? Are you saying that the Jets wanted to go in losing?
    Quote Quote  

3. -83
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Buf needed us to lose to have a chance.

didn't want to but the season resets in postseaqson. Whether they won or lost the previous week means nothing.
    Quote Quote  

4. -84
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I have to chime in. this "help" argument is silly. every team needs help unless they go 16-0. you need other teams to lose games ... period. it's ridiculous to focus on week 17 because it's the last week. what happened the previous 16 weeks doesn't matter? everyone plays out the full schedule. the teams with the best records get in. this isn't college ... it makes no difference what order the wins and losses come in. would you feel better if the buffalo loss to Pitt happened in week 14?? would that still count as help or is it only help because the schedule makers happened to slot the game for week 17? guess what ... either way it still counts for one loss.
    Quote Quote  

5. -85
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by truthbtold View Post
    I have to chime in. this "help" argument is silly. every team needs help unless they go 16-0. you need other teams to lose games ... period. it's ridiculous to focus on week 17 because it's the last week. what happened the previous 16 weeks doesn't matter? everyone plays out the full schedule. the teams with the best records get in. this isn't college ... it makes no difference what order the wins and losses come in. would you feel better if the buffalo loss to Pitt happened in week 14?? would that still count as help or is it only help because the schedule makers happened to slot the game for week 17? guess what ... either way it still counts for one loss.
    Just when I think I'm out, I get sucked back in.

There is a difference to me if you are in playoff position early in the season and if you need help to remain in that spot late in the season. Only two teams have ever finished the regular season undefeated in the history of the NFL, so other teams losing some games is pretty much a given. A loss is a loss, but losses that come early in the season do not clinch a playoff spot for anyone. It may put another team in a better position to do so, but that team still has to keep that position by continuing to win. The only thing a team can control is how it plays against other teams. Division teams play similar schedules and play the other teams in the division twice. So, losses that come early in the season can be overcome during the course of the season since they will play each other at some point. As a team, you want put yourself in a position where you control your playoff destiny. You do not want to be in a position to where another team that you are not playing is the difference between making or missing the playoffs in the last few games (or game) of the season. To me, that says that you didn't do enough throughout the course of the season.

I don't need to focus on when the Buff loss happened. This is not about Buff, it is about what the Jets couldn't do. They couldn't take care of business on their own. It would make a huge difference to me if the Bills loss came in week 9 when the Jets played them as opposed to week 17 when the Jets had nothing to do with it. It would make a huge difference to me if the Jets won just 1 of the last 3 games they lost that would have clinch a spot for them instead of needing Buff to lose to do it. The Jets had a 3 game lead over Buff with 4 games to go and had destiny in their hands. They had the opportunity to clinch a spot on their own. Instead the Jets went on to lose 3 out of the next 4 which took their playoff destiny out of their hands and gave it to Buff. Yes, the Jets won enough to get in but there is a difference between the teams that keep their playoff spot by winning and the teams that keep their spot because another team they didn't play lost. Kudos to the Jets for winning enough earlier to still give them a chance, but that doesn't mean they didn't throw away their own destiny and put it in Buff's hands.

Do you honestly believe that there isn't a difference?

On a side note, I thought Coples looked good in his debut.
    Last edited by The New Guy; 08-12-2012 at 09:12 PM.
    Quote Quote  

6. -86
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Coples did look good but it's preseason, I don't take anything positive or negative out of it. As long as we come out healthy and the only injuury we had was relatively minor.
    Quote Quote