Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.



VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 86

Thread: Jets scale back Quinton Coples workload

  1. -71
    nyjunc's Avatar
    Hall Of Famer

    Status:
    Online
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Mar 2004
    Posts:
    28,519
    vCash:
    22066
    Loc:
    New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Blog Entries:
    1
    There's no spin, over 16 games we were better and eanred our spot, we didn't need anyone to lose, we took care of business.

    Again, if we needed the game there's no way they attempt a 53 yd FG late in OT.

    you don't see a differnce btw being in playoff position to start week 17 and needing to win and have 5 other teams lose?
    Quote Quote  

  2. -72
    The New Guy's Avatar
    Starter

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Sep 2005
    Posts:
    1,873
    vCash:
    43434
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by nyjunc View Post
    There's no spin, over 16 games we were better and eanred our spot, we didn't need anyone to lose, we took care of business.

    Again, if we needed the game there's no way they attempt a 53 yd FG late in OT.

    you don't see a differnce btw being in playoff position to start week 17 and needing to win and have 5 other teams lose?
    You keep repeating the obvious while ignoring the obvious at the same time. No one ever said the Jets were not better over 16 games. The Jets did not take care of business against the Rams or else they wouldn't have needed a Buff loss to clinch a spot. It doesn't matter why you think they lost. That is all speculation. They did lose which meant that they needed a Buff loss to clinch. I enjoy debating, but this is not a debate. It is you completely refusing to accept reality.

    There absolutely is a difference. The 2011 Jets put themselves in a position where a loss to Miami eliminated them from the playoffs whether they got help or not. In 2004, they put themselves in a position where even with a loss, they could still get a spot with Buff's help.

    Does it not bother you that you repeat inaccuracies over and over. It was 3 teams, not 5 like you keep saying. Oak needed to lose to SD (they did), Cincy needed to lose to Bal (they did) and Tenn needed to lose to Hou (Hou won by 1 point) You can see that the Jets needed "Help" in 2011 to get in, but you only allow yourself to see that because you can't admit that the Dolphins eliminated them. In regards to needing "Help" to get in, the situations are no different. Both the 2004 Jets and 2011 Jets needed "Help". One more than the other, but both needed "Help". The 2004 Jets had a chance to earn a playoff birth (without help) with a win against SL. They did not win and needed Buff to lose. If you need another team to lose in order to make the playoffs, that is requiring help.

    Repeating that they got in and were better over 16 games is just trying to spin away from the fact that they needed help.
    Quote Quote  

  3. -73
    nyjunc's Avatar
    Hall Of Famer

    Status:
    Online
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Mar 2004
    Posts:
    28,519
    vCash:
    22066
    Loc:
    New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Blog Entries:
    1
    The Jets did what they needed to do over 16 games.

    AGAIN, there is no way in the world they attempt a 53 yd FG w/ 3 mins left in OT knowing that a win or a tie clinches. They knew Buf lost, they knew they were in.

    3-4-5 does it really matter? the odds were against us. we needed to win, we needed Cincy to lose and Ten & oak to lose or tie OR we needed to win, Cincy to lose and ten and den to lose or tie. That's a lot to ask especially for ab team that just got their hearst ripped out a week earlier.

    I understand that was the biggest thing the dolphins have done in years but the bottom line is we don't make it if we win that game.
    Quote Quote  

  4. -74
    The New Guy's Avatar
    Starter

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Sep 2005
    Posts:
    1,873
    vCash:
    43434
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by nyjunc View Post
    The Jets did what they needed to do over 16 games.

    AGAIN, there is no way in the world they attempt a 53 yd FG w/ 3 mins left in OT knowing that a win or a tie clinches. They knew Buf lost, they knew they were in.

    3-4-5 does it really matter? the odds were against us. we needed to win, we needed Cincy to lose and Ten & oak to lose or tie OR we needed to win, Cincy to lose and ten and den to lose or tie. That's a lot to ask especially for ab team that just got their hearst ripped out a week earlier.

    I understand that was the biggest thing the dolphins have done in years but the bottom line is we don't make it if we win that game.
    Again, you don't know that. I believe the Jets were playing to win the game. That was the Jets 2nd OT possession and there was over 5:00min (Not 3) left when they attempted the kick. Even if they don't attempt the kick, who says that they would have been able to hold SL for a 3rd time in OT had they punted instead? We can both speculate all day, but it doesn't matter. All that matters is we know they lost. With that loss, they had to rely on Buff to lose in order to make it. There is no getting around it.

    It only matters when you know better. You know it wasn't 5 and you still exaggerate the numbers to try and help your argument. The only thing asked of the Jets was to win. That was the only thing that they could control. They needed some help and came within 1 point of getting it. None of it matters anyway becasue they were already eliminated by the Dolphins. There is no getting around that either.

    We are pretty much repeating the same things over and over, so I am going to move on. If you want to continue, you can answer these two questions for me:

    Who mathematically eliminated the Jets?

    Did it matter if the 2004 Bills won or lost against Pitt in regards to the Jets clinching a playoff birth?

    I don't expect an answer other than "Jets took care of business" and "They wouldn't have made it anyway", so I am moving on.
    Quote Quote  

  5. -75
    DisturbedShifty's Avatar
    Wort-wort-wort!!!

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2006
    Posts:
    5,850
    vCash:
    2435
    Loc:
    Pueblo, Colorado
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Xbox LogoHalo LegendaryGalactic Empire medalPlaystation LogoNintendo Logo
    It's fun watching Junc flounder. Hehehe.

    Forgive my spelling. This was sent from my phone.
    Quote Quote  

  6. -76
    nyjunc's Avatar
    Hall Of Famer

    Status:
    Online
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Mar 2004
    Posts:
    28,519
    vCash:
    22066
    Loc:
    New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Blog Entries:
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by DisturbedShifty View Post
    It's fun watching Junc flounder. Hehehe.

    Forgive my spelling. This was sent from my phone.
    Yes I am floundering b/c you hate the Jets.

    Quote Originally Posted by The New Guy View Post
    Again, you don't know that. I believe the Jets were playing to win the game. That was the Jets 2nd OT possession and there was over 5:00min (Not 3) left when they attempted the kick. Even if they don't attempt the kick, who says that they would have been able to hold SL for a 3rd time in OT had they punted instead? We can both speculate all day, but it doesn't matter. All that matters is we know they lost. With that loss, they had to rely on Buff to lose in order to make it. There is no getting around it.

    It only matters when you know better. You know it wasn't 5 and you still exaggerate the numbers to try and help your argument. The only thing asked of the Jets was to win. That was the only thing that they could control. They needed some help and came within 1 point of getting it. None of it matters anyway becasue they were already eliminated by the Dolphins. There is no getting around that either.

    We are pretty much repeating the same things over and over, so I am going to move on. If you want to continue, you can answer these two questions for me:

    Who mathematically eliminated the Jets?

    Did it matter if the 2004 Bills won or lost against Pitt in regards to the Jets clinching a playoff birth?

    I don't expect an answer other than "Jets took care of business" and "They wouldn't have made it anyway", so I am moving on.
    I do know it b/c it was discussed at the time and common sense tells me that as well.

    My mistake, the play by play logs at NFL.com show the time when a team takes over not when the drive ends so I thought they took over w/ 3 mins left. Either way that late in the game they aren't kicking that long of a FG knowing you need a win OR a tie to clinch. It makes more sense to punt w/ 5 mins than 3 b/c you know if you get a stop you will be near midfield w/ more time to play.

    http://espn.go.com/nfl/playbyplay?ga...02014&period=5

    If they punt at worst SL gets the ball at their 20, at best they are inside the 10.


    Again, I realize this was the biggest Miami win in the last decade but we weren't going to the playoffs either way.

    we wouldn't have attempted that FG if we didn't know Buf had lost.

    all of this stuff is meaningless. We made it in 2004 and won a playoff game, we wouldn't have made it either way in '08 or '11.
    Quote Quote  

  7. -77
    The New Guy's Avatar
    Starter

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Sep 2005
    Posts:
    1,873
    vCash:
    43434
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by nyjunc View Post
    Yes I am floundering b/c you hate the Jets.



    I do know it b/c it was discussed at the time and common sense tells me that as well.


    My mistake, the play by play logs at NFL.com show the time when a team takes over not when the drive ends so I thought they took over w/ 3 mins left. Either way that late in the game they aren't kicking that long of a FG knowing you need a win OR a tie to clinch. It makes more sense to punt w/ 5 mins than 3 b/c you know if you get a stop you will be near midfield w/ more time to play.

    http://espn.go.com/nfl/playbyplay?ga...02014&period=5

    If they punt at worst SL gets the ball at their 20, at best they are inside the 10.


    Again, I realize this was the biggest Miami win in the last decade but we weren't going to the playoffs either way.

    we wouldn't have attempted that FG if we didn't know Buf had lost.

    all of this stuff is meaningless. We made it in 2004 and won a playoff game, we wouldn't have made it either way in '08 or '11.



    http://articles.nydailynews.com/2005...nnie-henderson

    OVER AND OVER: Would Edwards have tried that 53-yard FG attempt in overtime if the Jets needed a victory to secure a playoff berth? Interesting question.

    Edwards knew the Jets had clinched a spot by virtue of the Bills' loss to the Steelers, so there was less risk involved for a long field goal. Edwards said he would have played it the same way even if they had been in a must-win situation. Doug Brien's miss gave the Rams a short field, setting up the game-winning FG.

    The coach admitted he was a "little concerned" about using Martin in a meaningless overtime, but he added, "We were trying to win the game."
    "You hate to lose getting in," Coach Herman Edwards said.
    "It's bittersweet," said Martin, who was discussing the Jets' entry into the playoffs but just as easily could have been describing his accomplishments. He said the Jets had entered the locker room "bitter, but then we heard that we made the playoffs and felt better."
    All of this stuff is meaningless, which is why it boggles my mind that you can't admit what actually happened. Since you couldn't answer my questions and we keep repeating the same things over and over, I'm moving on.
    Quote Quote  

  8. -78
    nyjunc's Avatar
    Hall Of Famer

    Status:
    Online
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Mar 2004
    Posts:
    28,519
    vCash:
    22066
    Loc:
    New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Blog Entries:
    1
    I don't buy it for a second, I couldn't find it but I remember vividly articles about how the team knew they were in before OT. Don'y buy anythin a coach tells you, when is a coach going to say they weren't trying to win? There's just no way they would kick that FG in that situation if Buf had been able to beat the Pitt backups.
    Quote Quote  

  9. -79
    nyjunc's Avatar
    Hall Of Famer

    Status:
    Online
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Mar 2004
    Posts:
    28,519
    vCash:
    22066
    Loc:
    New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Blog Entries:
    1
    At that link:

    Edwards knew the Jets had clinched a spot by virtue of the Bills' loss to the Steelers, so there was less risk involved for a long field goal.
    Quote Quote  

  10. -80
    The New Guy's Avatar
    Starter

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Sep 2005
    Posts:
    1,873
    vCash:
    43434
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by nyjunc View Post
    At that link:

    That is what the writer was saying. I know that Herm and some of the players knew that Buff had lost, but that doesn't mean they weren't trying their hardest to win the game or did things differently becasue of that. In fact, they claim the exact opposite. Herm said himself that he would have played it the same way even if they had been in a must-win situation. He said: "We were trying to win the game." No coach wants to go into the playoffs losing, let alone losing 3 out of the last 4. No coach who doesn't care about losing leaves all of the starters in the game in OT.
    Quote Quote  

Similar Threads

  1. Quinton Coples has a plan to stop Dustin Keller!
    By Greer17 in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 06-09-2013, 10:35 AM
  2. Quinton Coples
    By DKphin in forum NFL Draft Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-19-2012, 11:22 AM
  3. Buyer Beware: Quinton Coples!!
    By ticophin in forum NFL Draft Forum
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 04-13-2012, 12:22 AM
  4. Michael floyd or Quinton Coples
    By 1Dolfan in forum NFL Draft Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-12-2012, 09:18 PM
  5. Dolphins DL Coach putting Quinton Coples through drills
    By DefensiveEnd76 in forum NFL Draft Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-09-2012, 11:55 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •