Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prospect Hits and Misses

Hybrid View

1. -1
    Owner of the Palace of Wisdom

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Harrisburg, PA
    Thanks / No Thanks

Prospect Hits and Misses

Okay, this thread has been done to death, but I'm still interested to hear different FH posters tell which prospects they whiffed and hit HRs on analyzing. It DOES NOT HAVE TO BE A FIN DRAFTEE. It can be any.

Here's one for each category off the top of my head.

Miss- Josh Bullocks. He and his brother Daniel were a great combo while at Nebraska, Josh left as a junior after the 2004/05 season. As a sophomore, Josh was an All-American with 10 INTs. I was a young draftnik back then, in my freshmen year of high school, but I still loved the idea of Josh Bullocks being the FS for years in our defense. I was crushed when we didn't get a chance to draft him in round 2.

Hit- Sean Lee. A lot of people thought Lee was a typical PSU LB, not very athletic, kind of slow, only a run stuffer. Lee was still pretty athletic even after his ACL injury and quickly became a hit in Dallas.

Oh yeah the hits and misses can be on who you thought would suck as well.
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    If we're going back a few years, one of my biggest hits was Tom Brady. I remember watching his bowl game where he completed something like 34 of 38 passes and was just so on target all day. I had seen him play only a few times, but remember saying to Dolphin fans that we should draft this guy. Many people felt that the talent around him, which was pretty substantial, was the reason for his success. Of course, there was the weak arm thing as well. Big miss was Matt Leinart. Same arguments that people gave for Brady saying he was helped by the talent around him at USC. I'm probably 50-50 on quarterbacks. I seem to have a better eye for linebackers and those guys also tend to be my favorites.

I'd say the one thing we usually don't have much information on as fans is heart, work ethic and those small details that can make a huge difference.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    QB Hits: Phil Rivers, Ben Roethlisberger, J.P. Losman, Aaron Rodgers, Vince Young, Jay Cutler, Jamarcus Russell, Trent Edwards, Matt Ryan, Matt Stafford, Pat White, Mark Sanchez, Tim Tebow, Jimmy Clausen, Cam Newton

QB Misses: Matt Leinart, Brady Quinn, John Beck, Brian Brohm

QB Gambles: Reggie McNeal (lost), Josh Johnson (lost), Colt Brennan (lost), Andre Woodson (lost), Matt Flynn (win), Kellen Clemens (loss), Omar Jacobs (loss), Matt Schaub (win), Nate Davis (loss), Levi Brown (lost), Colt McCoy (loss), T.J. Yates (win),

QB Undetermined: Andrew Luck (Hit/Miss), Robert Griffin III (Hit/Miss), Ryan Tannehill (Hit/Miss), Brandon Weeden (Hit/Miss), Blaine Gabbert (Hit/Miss), Christian Ponder (Hit/Miss), Andy Dalton (Hit/Miss), Jake Locker (Hit/Miss), Ryan Mallett (Hit/Miss), Sam Bradford (Hit/Miss), Mike Kafka (Gamble), Russell Wilson (Gamble), Ryan Lindley (Gamble), B.J. Coleman (Gamble)
    Twitter: @ckparrot
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Super Moderator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Aberdeen
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Arsenal shield

PATHETIC

Just waiting for people to pick up on your QB hit's ( pat white )..............
    Yes i dont ****ing like him and never will, good luck with your new job pat walking other peoples dogs, you ****ing quitter............
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    RB Hits: Ronnie Brown, Cedric Benson, Reggie Bush (neg), DeAngelo Williams, Maurice Jones-Drew, Joseph Addai (neg), Adrian Peterson, Ray Rice, Darren McFadden, Jonathan Stewart, LeSean McCoy, C.J. Spiller, Ryan Mathews, Jahvid Best, Dexter McCluster,

RB Misses: Cadillac Williams, Laurence Maroney, Donald Brown (neg), Shonn Greene (neg), Beanie Wells, Toby Gerhart

RB Gambles: Ryan Moats (lost), Cedric Houston (lost), Michael Bush (win), Lorenzo Booker (lost), Xavier Omon (lost), Tim Hightower (win), Bernard Scott (lost), Rashad Jennings (lost), Deji Karim (lost)

---------- Post added at 05:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:42 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ROADRUNNER View Post
    Just waiting for people to pick up on your QB hit's ( pat white )..............
    Yes i dont ****ing like him and never will, good luck with your new job pat walking other peoples dogs, you ****ing quitter............
    I spent a large part of that pre-Draft period trying to explain to people why Pat White was NOT an appropriate option for the "Wildcat 2.0" attack.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I was a big fan of Sean Lee and I thought that Cam Newton was way overrated- hit and a miss right there. I loved Dwayne Bowe coming out. Loved John Beck as well, his career still puzzles me. So far it looks like I missed on Blaine Gabbert, and I did like Graham Harrell quite a bit. Two QBs who I feel strongly about as having tremendous upside are Brandon Weeden and Russell Wilson. I don't think that people realize how good Wilson is- yeah he's under 5'11 but he played awesome behind Wisconsin's mammoth offensive line and he can do it all. He was EASILY one of the best QBs available in the draft this year. My money is on him beating out the overrated Matt Flynn for the starting job in Seattle. I warmed up a bit to Kirk Cousins as well, albeit I was quite late to the party. But Weeden and Russell- I love the pro potential of both of those guys.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    NJ
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Players I liked during the Draft process that were eventually drafted by Miami: Sammie Smith - Florida State (MISS) He was all world at Florida State but had a pedestrian NFL career. Jason Taylor - Acron (HIT) Read all about him and eventually saw him play and hoped Miami would draft him. Players I liked that were Drafted by other teams: Micheal Strahan - DE - NY Giants (HIT) like JT read all about him and saw him play and thought he'd be a good player in the NFL and hoped Miami would draft him. I loved Mike Williams - WR - USC (MISS) I thought he was the 2nd coming of Keyshawn but just didn't have what it took to make it in the NFL; although he did get a 2nd chance with Pete Carroll in Seattle last season and made the most of hit.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dolfan91 View Post
    Players I liked during the Draft process that were eventually drafted by Miami: Sammie Smith - Florida State (MISS) He was all world at Florida State but had a pedestrian NFL career. Jason Taylor - Acron (HIT) Read all about him and eventually saw him play and hoped Miami would draft him. Players I liked that were Drafted by other teams: Micheal Strahan - DE - NY Giants (HIT) like JT read all about him and saw him play and thought he'd be a good player in the NFL and hoped Miami would draft him. I loved Mike Williams - WR - USC (MISS) I thought he was the 2nd coming of Keyshawn but just didn't have what it took to make it in the NFL; although he did get a 2nd chance with Pete Carroll in Seattle last season and made the most of hit.

Strahan was probably one of my first hits of the 90's. I used to coach with Alfred Daniels, who was one of Steve McNair's tailbacks at Alcorn St. Alfred would rave about a kid from Texas Southern that dominated the line of scrimmage despite constant double teams. Alcorn would always win but only because of McNair who was going for the Heisman Trophy, a ridiculous feat for a SWAC player from the 1-AA level. I haven't seen a defensive lineman since that causes as many problems in blocking assignments as Strahan did at that level.

Back then you had to contact athletic departments to send you game film. There were no youtube videos.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    NJ
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TedSlimmJr View Post
    Strahan was probably one of my first hits of the 90's. I used to coach with Alfred Daniels, who was one of Steve McNair's tailbacks at Alcorn St. Alfred would rave about a kid from Texas Southern that dominated the line of scrimmage despite constant double teams. Alcorn would always win but only because of McNair who was going for the Heisman Trophy, a ridiculous feat for a SWAC player from the 1-AA level. I haven't seen a defensive lineman since that causes as many problems in blocking assignments as Strahan did at that level.

Back then you had to contact athletic departments to send you game film. There were no youtube videos.
    Slimm, I can't tell you how badly I wanted Miami to draft Strahan!!! I am a subscriber to Pro Football Weekly and what seemed like weekly, they had a small write up about him in their weekly draft column. It was the same thing for JT. But once the Home Computer age came upon us, Draft info became so much easier to get. I'm no draft expert by any means, my interest is purely fun for me and love the thrill of trying to project a player you do homework on. I want to add; that I am a big fan of all of the Finheaven Draft guy's like yourself, you make being a poster here a lot of fun. Thanks for your hard work.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cory Dillion round 2
    Quote Quote