Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Joe Philbin details Ryan Tannehill's starting path

1. -1
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lexington, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    2013 Dolphins LogoCam Wake 91Tannehill 17

Joe Philbin details Ryan Tannehill's starting path

David Garrard remains the favorite to earn the starting job for the Miami Dolphins, but first-round draft pick Ryan Tannehill aims to be the starter and was impressive during the Dolphins' scrimmage at Sun Life Stadium on Saturday morning.

First-year Dolphins head coach Joe Philbin was the first guest of the week on NFL Network's "NFL AM," and analyst Eric Davis asked what Tannehill needs to do to earn the starting job.

"First and foremost, he's gotta be a decision-maker," Philbin said after taking time to note that to be a great decision-maker takes time, experience and a quarterback's understanding of his own system, as well as, what the opposing defense is doing.

"Second thing is, if you're going to play quarterback in the NFL, you gotta make plays at critical times to win games," Philbin said. "That's something that, you know, we try to simulate the best we can on the practice field. We've been doing that, and obviously the preseason will give us another opportunity to gauge how far along he is in his development.

"The third thing is the game management," Philbin added. "That's obviously critical. Can he handle the pressures, the audibles, the checks, the time clock, etc.? ... Those are all factors that we've got to weigh in. And the last thing is does he have the respect of his teammates, which I think all of those candidates, as well as Pat Devlin, are guys that are highly-regarded by his teammates."

We should find out more about the Dolphins' quarterback competition this week. Beginning on Tuesday night when "Hard Knocks" premieres on HBO and, more importantly, when the Dolphins open up their preseason schedule against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on Friday night.
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...headline_stack

Good video interview as well. Talks about a few other things besides Tannehill.
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Misery Loves Company

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Kentucky
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Rebel AllianceSuperman logoXbox LogoPlaystation LogoSnakes!
    interesting that he even threw delvin's name in there.
    "I didn't feel like we had to score," Tannehill said. "I had the mindset we were going to score."

Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Munchkin Land / Emerald C
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The staff may feel comfortable in keeping Devlin as the 4th QB going into the season so that during the season they can trade Moore(if Garrard can keep healthy) when his value is highest right before the trade deadline.
    IMHO..In the long term, RT and Devlin are locks, while Garrard and Moore are stop gap.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildbill3 View Post
    interesting that he even threw delvin's name in there.
    He's made it a point to do that since before Tannehill was even drafted. He's the kind of guy that doesn't like to be unfair to anyone and truly takes to heart the message he's stated a few times now that "Every player deserves a coach that believes in him."
    Twitter: @ckparrot
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Ryan tannehill...like a boss

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    richmond va
    Thanks / No Thanks
    if they keep giving devlin only run with the 3's pretty much we probably can get him back on the p squad...might depend on in the final preseason game where he probably will play a lot how he looks...if he shows off a much better arm and good accuracy might be a little dicey...chance we probaby have to take...i doubt we carry 3 qbs the more i think about it...matt moores getting traded and for peanuts unless garrards back acts up or he gets dinged up and they don't trust him to stay healthy...
    hoops scoops 2012 season ..."in 2014 ryan tannehill etches his name in stone amongst the games elite qbs"..."ryan tannehill and andrew luck will carry the afc for the next decade plus the way peyton manning and tom brady have this last decade plus"
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Munchkin Land / Emerald C
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ckparrothead View Post
    He's made it a point to do that since before Tannehill was even drafted. He's the kind of guy that doesn't like to be unfair to anyone and truly takes to heart the message he's stated a few times now that "Every player deserves a coach that believes in him."

I think there could more to it than the coach having respect for the player and belief in the player.
    IMHO..Devlin has WCO skills. They may see him as a solid back up for 2013.
    By 2013, I doubt Garrard or moore will be on this roster. They may not want to risk losing him.
    Just the ramblings of a long time fan..
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Pueblo West CO
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hooshoops View Post
    if they keep giving devlin only run with the 3's pretty much we probably can get him back on the p squad...might depend on in the final preseason game where he probably will play a lot how he looks...if he shows off a much better arm and good accuracy might be a little dicey...chance we probaby have to take...i doubt we carry 3 qbs the more i think about it...matt moores getting traded and for peanuts unless garrards back acts up or he gets dinged up and they don't trust him to stay healthy...
    I really don't see Moore being traded for peanuts. His contract is decent, he has shown he can win games, and backup QB is probably one of the more important spots on a team. Ask the Bears. He may be traded but it won't be for peanuts. And if anyone does not want to offer more than peanuts than it is in our best interest to keep him.

MY FAM
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Ryan tannehill...like a boss

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    richmond va
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by madmic21 View Post
    I really don't see Moore being traded for peanuts. His contract is decent, he has shown he can win games, and backup QB is probably one of the more important spots on a team. Ask the Bears. He may be traded but it won't be for peanuts. And if anyone does not want to offer more than peanuts than it is in our best interest to keep him.
    conditional late round pick...6th or 7th
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lexington, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    2013 Dolphins LogoCam Wake 91Tannehill 17
    Quote Originally Posted by madmic21 View Post
    The Bears? Ask the Colts, lol. Of course that got them Andrew Luck so it wasn't all bad (other than watching them during the season).

I agree with ck on this one though. Philbin has made it a point not to demean any player. He's never too high on a guy and never too low, he just evaluates things as they come. Like he said in his introduction speach as the new head coach..."demanding without being demeaning".
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hooshoops View Post
    conditional late round pick...6th or 7th
    This is where we disagree. His salary is not an issue, and the team would rather a great backup QB, as stated, versus a condition 6th or 7th. No way. I say a guaranteed 5th up to a conditional 4th (with that condition likely being 2 starts or something along those lines)
    Quote Quote