Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: NFL Network- Dolphins Chris Hogan worth watching

1. -1
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

NFL Network- Dolphins Chris Hogan worth watching

So I'm taking this opportunity to remind you of Chris Hogan, the pride of Ramapo High School in Franklin Lakes, N.J. Hogan, who is also known as "7/11," was a four-year starter and leading scorer at Penn State. Unfortunately for him -- at least, given his present situation -- the sport he starred in was lacrosse, not football.
    That's not to say Hogan didn't play college football. He did -- as a fifth-year senior at Monmouth University in West Long Branch, N.J. If he didn't exactly establish himself as a lock to make the NFL, the two-way player did put up one of the greatest, oddest statistical lines in the history of the game. Of the 15 balls he caught during the 2010 season, three were touchdowns. Three were interceptions.

Professional football?
    Why not?

"I didn't want to live with any regrets," Hogan told me Sunday afternoon.

During a pro day at Fordham, Hogan benched 225 pounds 28 times, which is not bad for a 6-foot-2, 220-pound guy. "I had a hell of a pro day," he said. "Right up there with the best in the country."
    Still, his body of work was too skimpy for the scouting establishment. Hogan went undrafted and embarked on a typically anonymous and very high-risk career: He became a practice-squad player. While with the San Francisco 49ers, he rolled his ankle in a scrimmage. He got cut. He went home to Wyckoff, N.J., where he worked out and coached lacrosse. Then he signed with the New York Giants. He got cut again. Finally, during the last week of last season, he had a good workout with Miami.

"I don't have any doubt in my physical ability," he told me. "I'm trying to be a reliable guy, a guy coaches can trust."

I asked him if he's a receiver or a safety.

"A receiver," he said. "I'm a lot more comfortable running routes than backpedaling. I'm fast, physical, quick."
    Hogan reportedly ran the 40-yard dash in 4.47 seconds. Even more importantly, he can get open. That's why Dolphins running back Reggie Bush famously christened him "7/11" -- as in, open 24 hours -- on last week's episode of "Hard Knocks." However, after Hogan caught just one ball in the team's preseason opener, Johnson was arrested and cut, and Hogan's story went dead. In other words: I'm not just a hard worker. I'm an athlete.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...worth-watching
    Last edited by jim1; 08-20-2012 at 01:08 PM.
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Munchkin Land / Emerald C
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hogan (apart from the 7/11 buzz) is a guy I would keep on the team. I hope to see him get at least 5 balls thrown to him from RT and 5 from MM against Atlanta. I want to see more.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Aurora Il
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I've yet to see a post about Rishard Matthews on here, or Jeff Fuller. Jesus Christ! Who are we gonna keep at WR? There's no differential between our #2WR and our #8WR
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Cement Shoes Distributor

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    South Carolina (from MIAMI)
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hogan will make this team....if nothing else, for his special teams prowess. I think he will be a great assett to this team
    I Love JESUS CHRIST
    To the world you may be just one person, but to one person you may be the world
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by iamtiv View Post
    I've yet to see a post about Rishard Matthews on here, or Jeff Fuller. Jesus Christ! Who are we gonna keep at WR? There's no differential between our #2WR and our #8WR
    I want to keep all three- Fuller, Mathews and Hogan. All have something to offer. Hogan's strength is excellent, his speed is very good, his size is very good, the 7-11 storyline is good- but the thing that gets me excited is watching his explosion and quickness out of his breaks- outstanding. This is a guy who can win one on ones and can be a mismatch. A guy who can break free in the slot and is strong enough to break tackles for yac. He can be a weapon. I will be shocked if Hogan doesn't make the final 53.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Seer of Visions

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Weeki Wachee, Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I believe Hogan will make the team, and be a longtime target for Tannehill.
    Jay Fiedler can take his'n and lose to your'n.....or take your'n and lose to his'n.

Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I believe Chris Hogan has made the team. It would be more clear if he'd managed to catch that ball down the right sideline but the DB got away with a little bit by grabbing Hogan's left arm and not letting him go up for the ball with two hands.

Chris Hogan showed me what I needed to see with his special teams tackle and that catch where he broke a linebacker's grip and gained 17 yards from nothing. That's what you need to see. Bonus points were how he ran that nine route and made himself available to catch the ball, if not for the sneaky interference.

It's eerie how much Hogan reminds of Miles Austin. Same athleticism. Same strength. Just about the same path from UDFA to abnormally-large slot receiver. Differences of course being Miles was a kick returner and had more football experience, but the two even both came out of Monmouth.
    Twitter: @ckparrot
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    If anyone else is a lax guy out there, you can tell from hard knocks his lacross background.

He chops his feet like he's goning to do a dodge, and the corners are not use to this approach. Its working well for him.

The good ole days
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    VIPeezy

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Montreal, Canada
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ckparrothead View Post
    It's eerie how much Hogan reminds of Miles Austin. Same athleticism. Same strength. Just about the same path from UDFA to abnormally-large slot receiver. Differences of course being Miles was a kick returner and had more football experience, but the two even both came out of Monmouth.
    Giddy.
    Sig courtesy of @dolfan565

Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jim1 View Post
    I want to keep all three- Fuller, Mathews and Hogan. All have something to offer. Hogan's strength is excellent, his speed is very good, his size is very good, the 7-11 storyline is good- but the thing that gets me excited is watching his explosion and quickness of of his breaks- outstanding. This is a guy who can win one on ones and can be a mismatch. A guy who can break free in the slot and is strong enough to break tackles for yac. He can be a weapon. I will be shocked if Hogan doesn't make the final 53.
    We maybe observing the same thing but using a different language to describe it.But for me his ability to "set-up" the defender is down right NASTY!!!! I wouldn't be surprise if his Lacrosse-playing has alot to do with that. A perfect and savage example is in the HK episode where he absolutely violates R.Jones and another CB(My mouth dropped!!). Honestly, I haven't seen something like that from one of our Wide-Outs since....well, Wes Welker! Not the overall quickness but the ability to throw defenders off-balance with sudden quickness, burst and most impressively I call "mental-games." It means he has the "rare" ability to shifting his body, balance and overall motion in an expected direction(From the Defenders point of view aka the "set-up") and then suddenly and completely shift "unnaturally" the other-way!!!! Like a "nasty" cross-over in BB.

Its really hard to describe, But when you see it your like ****KKKKKKKK
    Quote Quote