Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

Thread: Why Akin Matters

1. -1
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks / No Thanks

Why Akin Matters

...I mean, how did Todd Akin get nominated for the Senate in the first place? How did Christine O’Donnell in Delaware? How did Donald Trump surge to the top of the early presidential polls after his birther blather became public? Why do so many Republicans have so much trouble with evolution? Climate change? The non-difference between forcible and statutory rape?

This is not to say that Republicans are, by natural bent, stupid. Indeed, many of the smartest, most erudite, most creative policy thinkers I’ve encountered over the past 40 years are Republicans or conservatives. They’ve been the source of some of the best policy proposals I’ve seen–including the individual mandate for health care, cap and trade (to limit sodium sulfur-dioxide), school choice, work requirements for welfare recipients. In foreign policy, they’ve been well-represented by realists like Brent Scowcroft, James Baker, Bob Zoellick and their boss, George H.W. Bush.

Read more: http://swampland.time.com/2012/08/21...#ixzz24HDncuvu
    As a registered Republican, it shames me to mostly agree with this author. He gets a bit snarky from my tastes, but largely he is right. We need intelligent, thoughtful leaders in our party, not Palin and the like. I don't want to be pandered to, I want to be led. I don't want to be the party of fear mongering. I want my party to be the light on the hill. When Repubs like Akin say completely idiotic stuff like this, it makes me so mad. We're a better party than this.
    Insert pithy saying here.

Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Fat Kid

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LouPhinFan View Post
    As a registered Republican, it shames me to mostly agree with this author. He gets a bit snarky from my tastes, but largely he is right. We need intelligent, thoughtful leaders in our party, not Palin and the like. I don't want to be pandered to, I want to be led. I don't want to be the party of fear mongering. I want my party to be the light on the hill. When Repubs like Akin say completely idiotic stuff like this, it makes me so mad. We're a better party than this.
    You have my sympathies, its a terrifying time to be a Republican.

Its bad for America in general when nominees are being praised and voted into office on the premise of "uncompromising". Those who are willing to work out bi-partisan deals are quickly vilified. Politicians who i considered very conservative 4 years ago now look moderate in their party. The Republican "middle" is being dragged down by the radical right. Anyone recall the Eric Holder comtempt chargers? Everyone on here probably does. Anyone recall the actual ruling? Probably not, as John Boehner got his party to do it on the same day as the Supreme Court health care ruling. This was intentional.

To this day Liberals are stereotyped as a bunch of peace loving hippies who want to smoke pot and screw over the military. Now, while there are plenty of crazies on the left they do not lead their party. They do not lead their polls in presidential elections. There should be no reason why Michele Bachmann and Herman Cain were giving Romney a run for his money at different parts of the election. Real conservatives need to be frightened, because everything that is happening today could cast a shadow over their party for decades. Much like how liberals are stereotyped to this day for actions during the 60's and 70's, conservatives could very well be stereotyped as the party for fear mongering, never compromising, and anti-intellectualism for decades to come.
    "Ignorance is not an excuse" were the words Goodell used when describing why those involved in the Saints bounty scandal would not avoid punishment.
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...ons-unanswered
    Quote Quote