Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Bill Nye: Creationism Is Not Appropriate For Children

1. -61
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Statler Waldorf View Post
    Oh snap, I was right? His degree is in Psychology? I was just guessing, I knew it wasn’t going to be in any of the actual sciences like mine is. Funny story while I am thinking about it, when I was in Physics in university the professor was teaching on the black board and the Psychology prof in the adjacent room was really writing on the board with authority. So you could hear the chalk quite loudly in the room we were in and it was kind of difficult to focus. So the Physics professor walks out into the hall and into the other classroom and asks quite politely, “Could you please write a little quieter? Thanks.” As he then walked back into the hall he leaned back into the classroom and with a smile said, “Oh and by the way, you guys aren’t a real science.” It was hilarious. Anyways, I digress.
    lol, Locke said "I work with the American Psychological Association weekly as part of my dissertation" before you "guessed". The fact that you think psychology isn't a real science shows me how much you really know about science. But hey, your physics professor said psychology isn't a real science, so you must be right.
    Quote Quote  

2. -62
    They looked like strong hands.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    This is the last thing I'm responding to, because you're a joke and a waste of time.

You didn't give me links to the articles, you just linked to the magazine pages. I asked for articles, you sent me some bull**** hyperlinks to some journals. That's not what I asked for, you know it, and you use it to pretend like you satisfied the request. It's pathetic. You googled the name of the article, or more likely, just the APA citation, and it directed you to one of the journals that published it. But you didn't know you have to subscribe to those journals, so it's still impossible that you read it. Unless you, an admitted Creationist and anti-intellectual, has a preexisting subscription to scientific magazines and journals. Good luck convincing anyone of that.

The last thing I'm going to say to you is that I know for a fact you didn't graduate from college. And you sure as hell didn't take any physics classes. Saying this as a professor, your story doesn't even make sense. No professor would ever go into a colleague's classroom, disrupt their class and ask them to "write on the chalkboard more quietly", and then disrespect the professor and entire class by saying it isn't real science. No one does. Period. That professor would have been fired before the end of the day. That's the second lie you've told in your conversation with me.

You're a liar, period. Everything you've said has lost credibility. I'm done talking to you. I'll spend my time talking with people who have honor and integrity, not some fake who makes no sense and has to lie to keep his facade going...

If I could take your pain and frame it, and hang it on my wall,
    maybe you would never have to hurt again...

Quote Quote  

3. -63

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JackFinfan View Post
    lol, Locke said "I work with the American Psychological Association weekly as part of my dissertation" before you "guessed". The fact that you think psychology isn't a real science shows me how much you really know about science. But hey, your physics professor said psychology isn't a real science, so you must be right.
    Guaranteed this guy never took that physics class. He is just making junk up. A so-called Christian who lies like a pastor molests kids, who would have thought? People like him make me worry about the future of the human race...
    Quote Quote  

4. -64
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Locke View Post
    This is the last thing I'm responding to, because you're a joke and a waste of time.

You didn't give me links to the articles, you just linked to the magazine pages. I asked for articles, you sent me some bull**** hyperlinks to some journals. That's not what I asked for, you know it, and you use it to pretend like you satisfied the request. It's pathetic. You googled the name of the article, or more likely, just the APA citation, and it directed you to one of the journals that published it. But you didn't know you have to subscribe to those journals, so it's still impossible that you read it. Unless you, an admitted Creationist and anti-intellectual, has a preexisting subscription to scientific magazines and journals. Good luck convincing anyone of that.

The last thing I'm going to say to you is that I know for a fact you didn't graduate from college. And you sure as hell didn't take any physics classes. Saying this as a professor, your story doesn't even make sense. No professor would ever go into a colleague's classroom, disrupt their class and ask them to "write on the chalkboard more quietly", and then disrespect the professor and entire class by saying it isn't real science. No one does. Period. That professor would have been fired before the end of the day. That's the second lie you've told in your conversation with me.

You're a liar, period. Everything you've said has lost credibility. I'm done talking to you. I'll spend my time talking with people who have honor and integrity, not some fake who makes no sense and has to lie to keep his facade going...
    To say it in someone's words:

Boom! Roasted!

But wait now for the line-by-line quotations.
    Quote Quote  

5. -65
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by phins_4_ever View Post
    To say it in someone's words:

Boom! Roasted!

But wait now for the line-by-line quotations.
    am I the only one who hates the fact that Waldorf can't just quote and comment on your post in its entirety? He has to break it down 1 sentence at a time, which totally takes away the context and the tone of your post.

As for the physics story. You guys give him more credit than I do. I don't believe he's ever stood on a college campus, the story sounds like a something that was made up by someone who knows nothing about college.
    Quote Quote  

6. -66

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    am I the only one who hates the fact that Waldorf can't just quote and comment on your post in its entirety? He has to break it down 1 sentence at a time, which totally takes away the context and the tone of your post.

As for the physics story. You guys give him more credit than I do. I don't believe he's ever stood on a college campus, the story sounds like a something that was made up by someone who knows nothing about college.
    He has to do that, because a sentence that isn't in the context of the paragraph is easier to argue. If you remove context from something, you can assign any context you want. That's his entire strategy. His other strategy is the whole middle school "say something until it's true" thing. He'll keep saying I've never seen a scientific journal because he thinks if he does, eventually people will believe it. Immature would be the most flattering way to describe his behavior.

I agree with you completely about his story. We professors may jab at each other around campus, or on our own time, but never ever in front of students. Hell, psychology and sociology have the biggest rivalry no ones ever heard of, and we poke fun at each other, friendly and unfriendly, all the time. But that happens out of the classroom, and away from students. No one is saying that kind of thing doesn't happen, but to claim an entire lecture was disrupted the way he described is a surefire way to get fired. Even the longest tenured professor on campus would get put on some sort of probationary plan. Of course, if he ever went to college, he'd know that...
    Quote Quote  

7. -67
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

It is a sad reflection of the American education system if this guy got into college.
    Quote Quote  

8. -68
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Statler Waldorf View Post
    Of course, you'd have to even believe that if you followed the evidence. Even given your timescale you'd be forced to concede that there were Dinosaurs living within the last 15,000 years, and since you believe man has been around for 200,000 years that puts Dinosaurs and man living at the same time period.
    Never mind the 15000 or 200000 years, we will go with your assumption of 6000 years. Since all of these dinasour fossils are found in layers of rock from a certain time in the past and you are stating that dinasours and man existed in the same period, please show me some evidence that human remains have been found in the same layers of rock as dinasour fossils in any of these dinasour excavation areas.

Hell the new mars probe went to a crater so it could look at different layers of mars history by climbing the crater rim so it is not like it's an unscientific method. In any case, please provide some evidence as requested above.
    Quote Quote  

9. -69
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

I mentioned that in my last post to him. It is the debate tactic of the ignorant and incompetent.
    Quote Quote  

10. -70
    Soul Rebel

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Statler
    Already did, now refute it. Or are you unable to?
    Are you asking me to refute God? It can't be done. It's impossible to disprove God for the very same reason it's impossible to prove God.

I still have a completely valid and un-refuted syllogism in the Dawkins thread proving God exists, so your statement above couldn’t be more erroneous.
    Your syllogism isn't valid because the existence of a God isn't verifiable. Syllogisms need verifiable premises in order to be valid. Nor is your connection between knowledge being possible and the existence of God. You claim God to be necessary for knowledge to exist but you have no proof of that assertion. We know that knowledge exists, we don't know that a God exists. There is no way to prove that God is necessary for knowledge to exist, it is an un-testable, un-demonstrable, assertion. It is YOUR opinion.

Just because God can't be refuted doesn't make it true. You can't refute the existence of Aliens, doesn't make them real. This is why you've been mislabeling me by calling me an atheist. I'm not saying there isn't a God, I'm saying he can't be proven. If you must label me, you can call me an Agnostic.

I already did. The Bible has to be the word of God in order for knowledge to be possible. So if the Bible is the infallible word of God then we can use it to prove all sorts of things, one of which is when and how the earth was created. If you follow the genealogies in the Bible it puts the creation of Adam back around 6,000-6,400 years ago. That’s proof. Science doesn’t deal with proof by the way, so I am not really sure why you’d ask for proof and then expect some appeal to science.
    Oh man, I don't even know where to start with this one. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the bible say that the creation of the Earth/Universe is concurrent with the Creation of Adam?

"God creates the universe in seven days, reserving for his sixth-day labor the climax of creation: man and woman. On the seventh day God rests and so establishes the holiness of Sabbath
    You yourself claim the creation of Adam as "fact" at 6,000 to 6,400 years ago. That means the Earth/Universe couldn't be any older than Adam, making the Earth about 6,000 years old as you claim. Then, when backed into a corner about Dinosaurs you say they lived 15,000 years ago? So which is it? 6,000 or 15,000? You're contradicting yourself, & you're contradicting your scripture. What a joke.

Furthermore, I'm glad you brought up Adam & Eve. How did they populate the Earth? Incest?

Genesis 4 tells of the birth of Cain and Abel, Adam & Eve's first children, while Genesis 5 gives Adam's genealogy past that. Adam & Eve are listed as having three children named Cain, Abel andSeth, then "other sons and daughters" (Genesis 5:4, NIV). Adam lived for 930 years.
    Was Adam banging the daughers? Eve banging the sons? The daughters and sons banging each other? A little of all the above?

Were Adam & Eve white? Where did all the black people come from? Asians? Indians? Did Eve magically spit out multi-cultural babies? You also want to try and rationalize Adam living for 930 years? (Or 1/6th the Earths age according to you, or 1/15th the Earth's age, I can't be sure, you keep changing your mind).

One more thing, so everything the Bible says is fact now? Is this fact?

"Psalm 137:9
    Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones.”

Will I really be happy if I dasheth my children against the stones?

Not amongst Hindus, 1+1 equally 2 is illusion.
    I hope you were trying to be cute here. Hinduism states that the separation between all things is illusory. The reason they make this claim is because they contest that Brahma the Creator IS everything in the universe. Every rock, every animal, plant, and human being, experiencing their joys and sorrows all at once, completely plunging himself into the adventure of forgetting who he is. All things, all other Hindu Gods, are merely expressions of the one, Brahma.

So by Hindu assertion, everyone and everything is God. Nothing is not God. & Doesn't that make sense? If there was a God would it really be an omnipotent God if he wasn't everything? Let me ask you this; are you God, Statler? If not, how can your God truly be omnipotent if he can't be you?

So now I’ll play your crazy game.

P1 Knowledge is possible
    P2 For knowledge to be possible, Brahma must exist
    C1 Brahma exists

This coming from the guy who asserts the earth is billions of years old but then cannot point to one single empirically verifiable reason for believing so? Ironic.
    Not my fault you don't understand how half-life's work. Here is a Christian's (with some sense) perspective on Radiometric dating.

Dr. Wiens has a PhD in Physics, with a minor in Geology. His PhD thesis was on isotope ratios in meteorites, including surface exposure dating. He was employed at Caltech's Division of Geological & Planetary Sciences at the time of writing the first edition. He is presently employed in the Space & Atmospheric Sciences Group at the Los Alamos National Laboratory.First edition 1994; revised version 2002.

Radiometric dating--the process of determining the age of rocks from the decay of their radioactive elements--has been in widespread use for over half a century. There are over forty such techniques, each using a different radioactive element or a different way of measuring them. It has become increasingly clear that these radiometric dating techniques agree with each other and as a whole, present a coherent picture in which the Earth was created a very long time ago. Further evidence comes from the complete agreement between radiometric dates and other dating methods such as counting tree rings or glacier ice core layers. Many Christians have been led to distrust radiometric dating and are completely unaware of the great number of laboratory measurements that have shown these methods to be consistent. Many are also unaware that Bible-believing Christians are among those actively involved in radiometric dating.

This paper describes in relatively simple terms how a number of the dating techniques work, how accurately the half-lives of the radioactive elements and the rock dates themselves are known, and how dates are checked with one another. In the process the paper refutes a number of misconceptions prevalent among Christians today. This paper is available on the web via the American Scientific Affiliation and related sites to promote greater understanding and wisdom on this issue, particularly within the Christian community.

http://www.asa3.org/ASA/resources/Wiens.html

Actually click and read the link before you mouth off on this, it goes into much further detail. Your argument is laughable, but here’s my homework for you. If you want to believe the Earth is 6,000 years old, or 15,000 (whichever one you decide to roll with that day), then fine, that’s your perogative, but I want you to tell everyone you know that you think that, see how that works out for you.

I hope Christians don’t die off because that would leave only people whose views of reality completely refute themselves and who are hopelessly inconsistent in their worldviews. Christianity won’t ever die off though, so we don’t have to worry about that.
    Christians themselves aren't the problem. As long as you're harmless and don’t have a superiority complex about your particular religion, I don’t have a problem with religious folk. People with nutjob ideas and beliefs are the problem.

Insinuating that someone who has utterly destroyed you in debates over the last few weeks is “delusional” certainly doesn’t make you look very good :-P
    Only further speaks to your delsion. Look around, it’s probably clear to everyone but yourself that this thread has turned into 10 rational people trying to reason with someone who is incapable of reason.

Oh snap, I was right? His degree is in Psychology? I was just guessing, I knew it wasn’t going to be in any of the actual sciences like mine is. Funny story while I am thinking about it, when I was in Physics in university the professor was teaching on the black board and the Psychology prof in the adjacent room was really writing on the board with authority. So you could hear the chalk quite loudly in the room we were in and it was kind of difficult to focus. So the Physics professor walks out into the hall and into the other classroom and asks quite politely, “Could you please write a little quieter? Thanks.” As he then walked back into the hall he leaned back into the classroom and with a smile said, “Oh and by the way, you guys aren’t a real science.” It was hilarious. Anyways, I digress.
    So you say this with the intent to try and hurt Locke’s feelings? You also derive pleasure from a professor and a class full of students having their feelings hurt? Not very Christian of you.

Does being a Christian merely mean believing in Christ, or actually trying to be Christ-like? If it’s the latter, you’re no more a Christian than any of the rest of us.

"I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." - Gandhi
    --

One last thing, I believe your beliefs not only give Christians a bad name, I think your beliefs give religious folk in general a bad name. Your beliefs are precisely the type of thing most Christians are trying to not have associated with their religion. Your beliefs are some of the most insane, delusional, demented, & lunatical assertions I’ve ever had the displeasure of reading. It truly does concern/sadden me that there are people on Earth who believe some of the things you do.
    Quote Quote