Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Untold Story Of Spygate

1. -1
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami
    Thanks / No Thanks

Interesting The Untold Story Of Spygate

I posted this in the General NFL Forum also. I thought this was an interesting listen.

http://soundcloud.com/wnsr/author-of-spygate-the-untold
    Last edited by JayCee; 08-27-2012 at 09:22 PM.
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Link doesn't take you to the video or audio. Did it work for anyone else?
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JETSJETSJETS View Post
    Link doesn't take you to the video or audio. Did it work for anyone else?

Nope didn't work for me either. That must be why its the untold story of spygate!
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami
    Thanks / No Thanks
    That's strange - it works perfectly when I click on it. Sorry - let me put it again below. For the record - im not into conspiracy theories at all, and there is alot this guy doesn't prove at least in this interview. I hope he does a better job in the book of backing up his allegations. But I have to admit, the way the NFL handled Spygate was shady as hell, and always gave me doubts.

http://soundcloud.com/wnsr/author-of-spygate-the-untold
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Well I was finally able to listen to it. For someone who has no sources and stated he drew his own conclusions for this book from reading press articles he's done a lot of connect the dots.
    So lets see the commisioner got 32 owners and coaches all to buy into his cover up because of money. I don't believe the goverment couldn't pull off a cover up conspiracy that good.
    Someone not in the big money line would have come forward and cashed in the chips so to speak to fill his pockets. Sorry there is just too much speculation by the author in an effort to
    cash in his chips and sell his book.

He stated that every team had used this practice in one way or another it was only just the patriots who were able to perfect it?
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Kingston Ont.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I think the other owners were left in the dark. It was burn the evidence and case closed! And its too big a can of worms to open up now because of all the money lost on bets etc. I think most will look at the 3 SB's with an asterisk in years to come.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Upstate NY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    All the evidence for SpyGate was kept behind closed doors. Only a select few actually knew what the truth was.

Compare that to the press the NFL is manufacturing in favor of their case against the small market Saints down in Appleknocker Louisiana.

In the first case the NFL does everything in it's power to keep the story in house, releasing what they choose to the public. They minimize the impact the entire story would have in so far as it would determine what dicipline / loss of title (tiltles) would be expected, especially in the eyes of the fans from the other 31 teams. There isn't a peep heard from the Patriots on the severity of the punishment, or lack thereof. Everyone in the know just wants the whole thing to disappear. The sooner the better.

Now take a look at the heavy handed treatment Tom Benson's team receives. In contrast to Kraft's gang, where Goodall did everything in his power to hide evidence, he's doing everything possible to convict those he's targeted through the press. It's like the pendulem as swung totally in the opposite direction in this case.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Iroquois Joe View Post
    All the evidence for SpyGate was kept behind closed doors. Only a select few actually knew what the truth was.

Compare that to the press the NFL is manufacturing in favor of their case against the small market Saints down in Appleknocker Louisiana.

In the first case the NFL does everything in it's power to keep the story in house, releasing what they choose to the public. They minimize the impact the entire story would have in so far as it would determine what dicipline / loss of title (tiltles) would be expected, especially in the eyes of the fans from the other 31 teams. There isn't a peep heard from the Patriots on the severity of the punishment, or lack thereof. Everyone in the know just wants the whole thing to disappear. The sooner the better.

Now take a look at the heavy handed treatment Tom Benson's team receives. In contrast to Kraft's gang, where Goodall did everything in his power to hide evidence, he's doing everything possible to convict those he's targeted through the press. It's like the pendulem as swung totally in the opposite direction in this case.

the Saints were punished because they (1) lied to Goodell about the existence of a bounty program and (2) continued to run it even after being made aware that no such program could exist. they're also one of the more profitable and popular teams in the NFL currently; they're not a "small market" team like the Seahawks or Chiefs.

the patriots cooperated with the league and didn't deny anything that had happened. the saints tried to deny everything and since it came down all the way from the GM through the coaching staff the league took action against all the main figures involved.

also considering player safety is Goodell's biggest platform it's not surprising the severity of the punishment.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bigvince75 View Post
    the Saints were punished because they (1) lied to Goodell about the existence of a bounty program and (2) continued to run it even after being made aware that no such program could exist. they're also one of the more profitable and popular teams in the NFL currently; they're not a "small market" team like the Seahawks or Chiefs.

the patriots cooperated with the league and didn't deny anything that had happened. the saints tried to deny everything and since it came down all the way from the GM through the coaching staff the league took action against all the main figures involved.

also considering player safety is Goodell's biggest platform it's not surprising the severity of the punishment.
    While I agree that player safety is definitely more important that Spygate - you really think that the slap on the wrist that the Patriots got was enough?? I know you are Patriots fan, and are biased, but come on man?? You are talking about blatantly getting caught, and that alone would tarnish the NFL and it's reputation, which is why people question why the burning of the tapes, and the minimal monetary punishment they received was adequate.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Upstate NY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JayCee View Post
    While I agree that player safety is definitely more important that Spygate - you really think that the slap on the wrist that the Patriots got was enough?? I know you are Patriots fan, and are biased, but come on man?? You are talking about blatantly getting caught, and that alone would tarnish the NFL and it's reputation, which is why people question why the burning of the tapes, and the minimal monetary punishment they received was adequate.
    Actually the Patriots were fined and were stripped of a draft pick. Belichick was personally fined $500,000 and the organization $250,000. They lost a 1st round pick, but get this, if they missed the playoffs they would only lose their 2nd and 3rd. Sort of like the draft were poor performance garners a higher pick, only in this case they keep the higher pick. Which is odd in itself.

Can't argue with what bigv says. The Saints lied and continued the practice of rewarding players for everything from knock downs to cart offs. Williams promoted a hyper aggressive, punishing style of play that paid out for harm done. I haven't heard much evidence of illegal hits that drew flags or penalties durring the games. I'm sure they've reviewed tape till their eyes ache looking for that months after the fact, but to be fair, they'd have to go that route with every player that laid someone out and didn't draw a flag. Which they do with corrosponding fines, etc now, but usually within days. Nothing was said against the vast majority of these plays at the time.

Plus these type of pools and kitties have been in existance for decades and have been part of the culture of the league through the generations. A week before all this came down, two Giant defenders were openly chatting about taking out some rival. (no, I'm not going to find a link, it was headline news at a couple of sites though).

The bottom line is spygate is the only yardstick to measure a team/coach instigated violation of similiar proportions. The punishments to individuals went beyond what was resonable.

Again the evidence against individual players is supect and speculative and even if it were iron clad, nothing so far has been brought to light that any of these players injured anyone through cheating or breaking the rules on the field. There were no options like NE got for a lesser punishment based on future performance. In fact, if the truth came out, I'm pretty sure that the tapes would prove that there would be enough on them that teams that lost championships to NE would be declaring themselves the legitimate winners.

The Patriots didn't get a warning and opportunity to deny or admit they had been taping previous, or a chance to continue if they did. They were ratted out and caught red handed, continuing an illegal practice they must have employed to some degree against every team they faced. So there is no comparing goody two shoes New England for coming clean while New Orleons continued their violations. That basically shoots that down.

If Goodall wanted to set an example, he didn't have to be so severe this time around. Sure they deserved suspensions, fines and loss of picks, but he went to far based on what he's shown so far. He would have been better off to hold up some and promise to lower the boom big time on any future offenders.
    Quote Quote