Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Arizona law: Pregnancy begins 2 weeks before conception

1. -21
    The Chosen One Awaits

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Los Angeles
    Thanks / No Thanks
    So here is the logic behind the decision according to a medical professional. It was a comment left on this site...

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/polit...eks-conception

MaryEllen Puopolo R.N. at Norwood HospitalAt the moment of conception a women is considered to be 2 weeks pregnant. That is just how gestational age is determined. The first day of a woman's LMP (last menstrual period) is easier to identify than the actual date of conception, that is why the 2 weeks before you're pregnant are counted. It's not some crazy, outlandish law, it is just making a law out of what is already widely used and accepted. The new AZ law is consistent with current medical practices. It does matter if how the law and most OBs determine gestational age does not coincide with how the abortion clinics decide gestational age, that is a pretty big deal. The law isn't changing anything, except that Planned parenthood determines gestational age based on the date of conception, which is basically impossible to figure out, even if you're using tracking methods, not based on LMP like everyone else in the world.
    Quote Quote  

2. -22
    They looked like strong hands.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    So because it's "easier to determine", they go with the last menstrual cycle? Basically they use the 2 weeks before pregnancy because they can't pinpoint the day that the couple had sex. If I'm understanding this right, after a couple does the horizontal tango, it takes a few days for the sperm to travel to the uterus, and then dig it's way into the ovum. Since medical professionals can't measure the exact amount of time it took for the sperm to do this, they play is safe and take it back to the earliest possible time it could have happened; the end of the last menstrual cycle. Am I understanding this correctly?

If so, they are passing a law based on this? Nope, I still think this is without merit. This is still a ploy to make the amount of time available for an abortion as small as possible...

If I could take your pain and frame it, and hang it on my wall,
    maybe you would never have to hurt again...

Quote Quote  

3. -23
    The Chosen One Awaits

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Los Angeles
    Thanks / No Thanks
    It is possible that a couple can have sex multiple times throughout the entire week, so to answer your prior query... yes the last menstrual cycle would be more scientific as a point of reference. I'm sure you watched those day time talk shows where they try to figure out the daddy and they are never sure without doing a test because they can't pinpoint the day "she" got "pregnant".

At most, it shaves a couple of weeks (from 20 to 18) of the decision making process. How long should someone have to make a decision, over 4.5 months? I would think 2 months would be plenty of time. Honestly, I am ok with abortion as a last resort, but it should be done earlier in the process and should not be considered as just another form of birth control.
    Quote Quote  

4. -24
    They looked like strong hands.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TrojanFin View Post
    It is possible that a couple can have sex multiple times throughout the entire week, so to answer your prior query... yes the last menstrual cycle would be more scientific as a point of reference. I'm sure you watched those day time talk shows where they try to figure out the daddy and they are never sure without doing a test because they can't pinpoint the day "she" got "pregnant".

At most, it shaves a couple of weeks (from 20 to 18) of the decision making process. How long should someone have to make a decision, over 4.5 months? I would think 2 months would be plenty of time. Honestly, I am ok with abortion as a last resort, but it should be done earlier in the process and should not be considered as just another form of birth control.
    I absolutely agree with you. Abortion is not a form of birth control, and it should be done as early as possible if it's going to happen. I think this is infringing on the rights of women though. This is only passing because the Republican governor wants abortion made illegal, but can't so she is simply making it as difficult to get as possible. It's not that this is so bad, but it's the fact that if this sticks, they keep pushing the envelope. A line in the sand needs to be drawn...
    Quote Quote  

5. -25
    More Smug than Birthday Dog

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Locke View Post
    I absolutely agree with you. Abortion is not a form of birth control
    Disagree. Condoms and pills are for poor people who cant afford abortions.

Quote Quote