Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 18 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: How the Vontae Davis trade went down

1. -1
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks

How the Vontae Davis trade went down

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolph...-dolphins.html

The Colts began shopping for ways to address their need. Early last week the team began searching for a way to plug that leaky hole in the defense. And knowing that Vontae Davis had lost his starting job in Miami, the Colts called asking to acquire him.

The Colts' first offer was a sixth-round pick.

Miami general manager Jeff Ireland, who had not been shopping Davis, told the Colts he was not interested.

By Thursday, the offer was improved to a fifth-round pick. Ireland still had no interest in that price for a player he views as troubled but still worthy of keeping given his age, ability, relatively cheap cost and the first-round investment he had in Davis.

So the Colts let that sit for a while.

And Saturday the Colts came back again -- this time offering a third-round pick for Davis. I have to give Indianapolis GM Ryan Grigson credit for persistence. He latched on to the idea of getting Davis like a pitbull locks down on a steak and didn't let go. And, of course, while he was showing little interest in the offers, Miami GM Jeff Ireland was not saying, "Stop calling me!"

Ireland was open to the idea of trading Davis, but at a price he wanted. That goes back to the Bill Parcells school of thought that "Everybody is on the trade block all the time." (For the right price).

The third-round offer got Ireland's attention in that serious, serious negotiations began to take place between the teams. The Colts were finally in the ballpark but Ireland wanted more. And the fact they were in the ballpark encouraged the Colts they might be able to solve their gaping defensive problem. It also encouraged Ireland that he could get a premium draft pick in this deal.

It was sometime late Saturday or early Sunday when Grigson came back with the second-round offer. The offer put Ireland on the hook but to reel him in, Grigson had to add the conditional sixth-rounder that he ultimately included in the deal.
    Obviously Armando was remiss in his re-telling. He clearly forgot the part where Joe Philbin walked into Jeff Ireland's office and demanded that Vontae Davis be traded off the roster. [/sarcasm]
    Last edited by ckparrothead; 08-27-2012 at 11:48 AM.
    Twitter: @ckparrot
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    The truth is out there.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Interesting. This actually makes me feel a lot worse about the trade, since it seems that the team genuinely feels that Marshall is a better CB than Davis. And, uhm, he's not.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I agree, It didn't appear this coaching staff was to impressed with V. Davis and he had good trade value.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Toronto Canada
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ckparrothead View Post

Obviously Armando was remiss in his re-telling. He clearly forgot the part where Joe Philbin walked into Jeff Ireland's office and demanded that Vontae Davis be traded off the roster.
    You know this for sure? I haven't seen that any where
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 72 silky View Post
    You know this for sure? I haven't seen that any where
    /sarcasm
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Northern Califa
    Thanks / No Thanks
    god damn I feel violated
    Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
    Been one of my biggest issues with him. Every single year, EVERY YEAR, he makes one completely boneheaded signing that makes you think he went on a massive coke bender the night before, slept in the office, woke up still high as **** and started making calls to anybody that would answer at 4 AM on a weekday; which is apparently **** players like Naanee, Colombo, Barbie Carpenter, etc.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lexington, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    2013 Dolphins LogoCam Wake 91Tannehill 17

Obviously Armando was remiss in his re-telling. He clearly forgot the part where Joe Philbin walked into Jeff Ireland's office and demanded that Vontae Davis be traded off the roster.
    lol, that's not the way Hayden Fox would tell it either.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Starting to hear voices

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by registeredguy View Post
    Interesting. This actually makes me feel a lot worse about the trade, since it seems that the team genuinely feels that Marshall is a better CB than Davis. And, uhm, he's not.
    With all due respect, and not trying to start an argument, I question the idea that you, me or anyone else on here is a better talent evaluator than a professional coaching staff.
    JMB
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Lifelong Fin Fan

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Minneapolis MN
    Thanks / No Thanks

I think Philbin demanding Ireland trade Vontae is something most fans are definitely missing. Fans are looking to bag on Ireland any way they can without even looking at the truth. It's like everyone blaming Ireland for the drafts and personel decisions when Parcells was in charge. Nothing got done without Parcell's approval as he had the final say. If you seriously want to judge Ireland look at what he has done over the last two years as that was when he was truely in charge.
    When I die I want to hire the Miami Dolphin's to be my pallbearers so they can let me down one last time.

Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Toronto Canada
    Thanks / No Thanks
    /sarcasm
    No I'm asking for real. I didn't read or hear that philbin aske Jeff to move Davis
    Quote Quote