Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tom Brady: The League's Biggest Draft Blunder

1. -1
    Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Tom Brady: The League's Biggest Draft Blunder

I'm going to make this thread because I think people need to see what a great college quarterback is supposed to look like. I will fill this thread full of vintage Tom Brady games from his time at Michigan. Not highlights. Full games in their entirety. I think people need to see exactly how clutch this guy was.

Pay attention to his body language when he breaks the huddle. Take clear notice of his mechanics from his footwork dropping back from under center, to the decisions he makes. Watch him go through his progressions. Take specific notice of his ball handling on play action, ball placement and accuracy on every throw that an NFL quarterback is asked to make. Take note of his ability to diagnose coverages pre-snap.

All of this should be clear and concise as you take the time to watch these games. Again, they're full games, so they'll take some time to watch. Watch his pocket presence and the way he deals with pressure.

Most of all, I want you to notice how he RESPONDS after he makes a mistake or throws an interception. I want the numerous people who never watched this guy play in college to see precisely how clutch Tom Brady was.

Yes, a 6th round pick is the standard by which I measure college quarterbacks. This is what a franchise signal caller is supposed to look like before they take a snap in the NFL. This is as close to perfect as you can play the position in my opinion.

Brady led Michigan back from 14 point deficits in this game TWICE.

2000 Orange Bowl vs. Alabama: (1st half)

(2nd half)

Last edited by TedSlimmJr; 08-29-2012 at 10:05 AM.
    Quote Quote  

2. -2

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1999 Michigan vs. Ohio State: (1st Half)

(2nd Half)

Quote Quote  

3. -3

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1999 Michigan vs. Penn St.:

Quote Quote  

4. -4

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1999 Michigan vs. Purdue: (condensed)

This was a matchup of two future Hall of Fame quarterbacks between Tom Brady and Drew Brees. Brady puts a thorough drubbing on Brees and the Boilermakers.

Quote Quote  

5. -5

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1999 Citrus Bowl - Michigan vs. Arkansas:

Quote Quote  

6. -6

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Brady demonstrates incredible poise again on the road in a rockin' Camp Randall Stadium.

1999 Michigan vs. Wisconsin:

Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Great work Ted and thank you for putting up these films.

Off topic question here for you Ted. Can you recommend any good factual book titles about football in the Southern states. I want to get a flavour of how high school/college football is an integral part and way of life in the south. Thank you
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Owner of the Palace of Wisdom

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Harrisburg, PA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Llyod Carr has gone on record stating that the biggest mistake he ever made was having Brady split reps with Drew Henson early in Henson's career. Now Henson is another case in itself (Dude was mega hyped as a QB prospect before he got drafted by the Yankees), but Lloyd feels that had he just kept Brady as the starter instead of splitting time, he could've/would've won another National Title. Michigan's offense was still extremely stacked while Brady was there.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jamvinny View Post
    Great work Ted and thank you for putting up these films.

Off topic question here for you Ted. Can you recommend any good factual book titles about football in the Southern states. I want to get a flavour of how high school/college football is an integral part and way of life in the south. Thank you

"Rammer Jammer Yellow Hammer" by Warren St. John is a good start...

I'd also recommend the book "Friday Night Lights" to get an idea about high school football.

Any of the books on Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant would also be good, particularly his autobiography if you can get your hands on it.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    In the "Football and Decision Making" chapter of his book The Essential Smart Football, Chris Brown talks alot about Brady. He mentions how Brady was reviewing game tape with another author and after a clip of Brady completing a pass, the author asked him why he threw it to that particular receiver. Brady just said "I just felt like he was open." The author asked, "That's it? And Brady answered "That's it".

The rest of the chapter talks about athletic intelligence and how the really good athletes, no matter the sport or position really have that intelligence and reaction where basically thought and action are one and the same. The athlete's thoughts and decisions in the heat of battle are reactionary, almost raw instincts. I think that sums up Tom Brady. He's not the most physically gifted quarterback to every throw a spiral but he oozes athletic intelligence and enough intangibles for 4 quarterbacks.

I put him in that same class with the best there's ever been at sports. They all have that "thing". That thing that you have no idea what it is but it just makes them great, beyond their physical gifts. Ali, Tiger Woods, Michael Jordan, Bobby Jones, Barry Sanders, Jerry Rice, Federer, Nicholas all make the list. They do or have done things that almost make you think they're not human.
    Nearly 70% of the Earth is covered by water...the rest is covered by Gerod Holliman.

Quote Quote