Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: P.I.E. Principle: How Joe Philbin should be assessed this year.

1. -1
    At the end of the day...

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins LogoMike Wallace 11Cam Wake 91Tannehill 17Dolphin

P.I.E. Principle: How Joe Philbin should be assessed this year.

I have taken a lot static for lending criticism to new coach Joe Philbin. I do not deny that I thought there were other candidates early on in the process that could have been effective selections. Be that as it may, once hired, I thought we needed to stand behind the coach. It did not mean we could not analyze what he was doing well or not.

I read on this site people having blind faith in him. While others say they are being "patient" and will wait for the first game to pass judgement. Others have already canned the guy.

It is obvious to me that this team is young and has many holes. Philbin should be graded on not so much wins and losses, but the P.I.E Principle. If the team is effective in these elements during the season, I will be happy. If we are failing as such, than I will be the first to rip Joe Philbin.

P: Professional- I want to see the team look like an NFL team on Sunday's. Things like taking care of the ball, tackling, knowing where they need to be on each play. In other words, they look like there was sufficient preparation during the week. I want the Fins to look like they are "being coached".

I: Improvement- This is the most important of the three IMO. I expect the early part of the year to be rough. Do we see, however, the defense start to become steady? Does the passing game eventually start to show signs of life? Does the offensive line start to become a force? OR is there regression? This was a team that was pretty strong down the stretch last year. No doubt there are key players not here, but this is the same regime that willfully sent those players away.

E: Energy- I will use Joe Philbin's own word and it is appropriate. One thing that has bothered me this year is the lack of energy in preseason games. Is that on the players? Yes. However, the staff led by Philbin is also a part of that. Why do they seem a step slow and flat each week? One area of credit I gave Tony Sparano and Todd Bowles is the team played HARD for them. Not perfect and intelligent all the time, but with zeal and abandon. I want to see the team playing like their hair is on fire.

I really feel this how the team should be evaluated each week as opposed to the scoreboard and win column. I know I am going to attempt to do as such...I invite you to join me.
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Bahamas
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I agree Hayden and it's good to see you take this sort of approach but the bottom line is it's wins and loses that determine a coach's fate in the end but I am willing to be patient with Philbin.

Quote Quote  

3. -3
    ihaveprettyfeet

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Calgary Alberta
    Thanks / No Thanks
    wins and losses

however when they drafted Tanney at #8 - they conceded the season - clearly they feel like getting the rot out is more important than making a any kind of attempt at winning but jeff helped to bring the rot in so he must be accountable - I don't see how he is selecting at the draft next year -

i at least hope to see some hustle this year

i expect a lot of broken play yardage from Tanney and this is going to be a looooooong season waiting to draft in the top 1-2-3
    Pastor stands up in Church from the pulpit and asks the congregation if they know what the resurrection is about? Small child in a pew puts his hands up and would like to answer, pastor asks the child to answer, Boy says "If the resurrection persists over 4 hours you have to call a doctor"
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    #12 #13 #23 #39 #54 #99

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Good Post Overall and I def agree that Improvement over the entire season is the key. Wins and Loses are obviously important, but are the players actually getting better as the season progresses? That shows me the coaching staff knows what they are doing and that the players are buying in.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Teddy Westside

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Wichita, Kansas
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Mods, can we sticky this?
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Clearwater, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 17
    I want to see him evoke the same, possibly more, of that effort I saw towards the end of last year. 6+ wins without Bell, Allen, Marshall, Langford, Davis would be a solid first year.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Pensacola, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    T: Timeouts- Use of timeouts. Is he going to call a timeout at the most random of occasions? Will he be the difference in winning and losing a game because he can't read a clock?
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I agree that the PIE principal is the most important part of the evaluation. The other is game management and game strategy. I believe that the preseason has zero value in judging a coaching staff. Actually, I think the preseason has negative coaching staff evaluation value. If you factor it in at all, you are automatically wrong with your evaluation.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Great post.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Little Lebowski Urban Achiever

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New Orleans/Miami
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I'm with you for most of the way Hayden. But Wins and Losses still do heavily factor in how you evaluate Philbin in year 1.

For one, there are bundles and bundles of people here ranting about how easy of a schedule we have. I for one don't belong in that camp, I think the schedule every year on paper is totally different than 17 weeks from now. But the bottom line is, there are plenty of WINNABLE games. Not necessarily games we should win, but plenty that we have a fighting shot in.

If this team 17 weeks from now has 4 or less wins, its obviously an indictment on the head coach, and he just like everyone else should be held accountable for it.

This team belongs in the 5-7 win range, and I'm not saying if we don't meet that threshold he should be fired by any means.... but he doesn't just get a free pass in year one saying Wins and Losses don't count.
    Quote Quote