Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

Thread: ESPN Blog: Realistic expectaions for Tannehill this year

1. -1
    Diehard Phinatic!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Syracuse, NY
    Thanks / No Thanks

ESPN Blog: Realistic expectaions for Tannehill this year

These average numbers are respectable for Tannehill and should be the bar for his rookie season. If he throws for more than 3,100 yards and has more touchdowns than interceptions, it would be a great first season. The average passer rating also was 77.2, which is not bad.

But you have to consider what many of these quarterbacks had around them as rookies and how that compares to Tannehillís supporting cast in Miami. For example, Stafford had stud receiver Calvin Johnson in Detroit. Ryan had Roddy White in Atlanta. Dalton had A.J. Green in Cincinnati and Newton had Steve Smith in Carolina. These are all legitimate No. 1 receivers who make the job of a rookie quarterback much easier.

Tannehill has no receiver close to that caliber, and it certainly will hurt the rookie. Tannehill is working with one of the worst receiving corps in the NFL. His top targets include Legedu Naanee, Davone Bess and, if healthy, Brian Hartline.

Miami needs receivers in the worst way. There is no getting around it. The Dolphins have an unproductive group thatís having trouble making plays and catching the football this preseason. Miami has to be concerned that this could stunt Tannehillís growth.
    http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post...ryan-tannehill
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    If tannehill gets through this un-scathed and performs to these average stands and possibly more.imagine what he could accomplish with playmakers. The good new is that if Martin pans out, this oline can be pretty stout and all Miami needs to do is focus on giving him weapons.

---------- Post added at 10:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:08 AM ----------

Pass catchers
    "I'm bringing it to technology"
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Boston
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Un-injured, and more TDs than INTs.

Yards are too dependent on the receivers, if Fasano is the only guy Tannehill has trust in to catch the ball it's going to be a long season. I'm not as concerned with numbers as I am with his decision making this year. When no1 is open, which will happen often this year I want to see him show the discipline to get rid of the ball rather than forcing it into tight situations with receivers that can't reward his risk and take the ball away from defenders.
    AFC: **MIAMI DOLPHINS**
    NHL: *** BOSTON BRUINS***
    NBA: Boston Celtics
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    It's a trap!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Dallas, TX
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Legedu needs to get cut. He is straight garbage.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    THE FUTURE

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Trophies
    Excellent point bostonphin. We need a determination of his qb/football IQ this year not his stats
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by phinatic1399 View Post
    Man, the more I read that the angrier I get at Jeff Ireland. You draft your franchise QB you need to do two things: 1. Protect him and 2. Give him weapons to throw to. He addressed the first point by drafting Martin who I hope works out. The second one? Boy he overestimated what we had left once we traded Brandon Marshall and then he didn't really draft or sign anyone who could replace his presence or production. God, why didn't Ross fire him along with Sparano last year? grumble grumble...
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    I like your style Dude

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Springfield, VA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91Tannehill 172013 Dolphins Logo
    Yes James Walker. The Dolphins are going 4-12. We remember.

Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Winner Under Construction

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Atlanta
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BostonPhin4 View Post
    Un-injured, and more TDs than INTs.

Yards are too dependent on the receivers, if Fasano is the only guy Tannehill has trust in to catch the ball it's going to be a long season. I'm not as concerned with numbers as I am with his decision making this year. When no1 is open, which will happen often this year I want to see him show the discipline to get rid of the ball rather than forcing it into tight situations with receivers that can't reward his risk and take the ball away from defenders.
    I think you'll see a lot of throws to the backs, lots of roll outs, lots of screens. With the constant hurry-up offense running, defenses may get winded, confused or might not have the right personnel on the field for situations (or combinations of those factors). That may also open things up for receivers down field later in games. A good running game could help tremendously too. Tannehill may tuck and run 2 or 3 times a game. If nothing else, this could be a very interesting season to watch. Tannehill's got skills man
    The superior man blames himself. The inferior man blames others.

- Don Shula

Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Misery Loves Company

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Kentucky
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Rebel AllianceSuperman logoXbox LogoPlaystation LogoSnakes!
    hartline, bess, matthews, clay, fasano, bush. only recievers i'd put on the field at this point.

Quote Quote  

10. -10
    what can BROWN do for you?!?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    KC, MO.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cap's shieldXbox Logo
Gift received at 04-02-2014, 04:14 PM from DisturbedShiftyTannehill 172013 Dolphins LogoDolphins Homer
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildbill3 View Post
    hartline, bess, matthews, clay, fasano, bush. only recievers i'd put on the field at this point.
    And none of these guys should be the 1st read for a rookie QB. Or a vet QB for that matter...

Quote Quote