Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gruden on Tannehill & thoughts on Philbin from Gannon/Sharpe

1. -1
    Diehard Phinatic!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Syracuse, NY
    Thanks / No Thanks

Gruden on Tannehill & thoughts on Philbin from Gannon/Sharpe

GRUDEN ON TANNEHILL
    Spoke to ESPN’s Jon Gruden on a conference call Thursday, and he is particularly interested to see how Ryan Tannehill closes games this season.
    At Texas A&M, “The body of work [just 19 starts at quarterback] did concern me,” Gruden said. “You’d like to see a three-year starter. You would like to see a quarterback that finished games better. You would like to see a quarterback that dominates in the third and fourth quarter.
    “They dropped plenty of passes, but I would like to see more dominant, consistent play down the stretch. The Arkansas game sticks out to me. I think they had opportunities to finish some off in the second half and didn’t quite do that. That’s the big concern I had with Tannehill.”
    But because of his familiarity with the Dolphins’ offense, “he’s further along than a lot of kids that came along,” Gruden said. “He’s on the fast track. He impressed me because he’s such a great athlete.”
    HARD KNOCKS REACTION
    CBS’ Dan Dierdorf was watching HBO’s Hard Knocks a couple weeks ago when Dolphins offensive coordinator Mike Sherman lambasted tight ends Michael Egnew and Charles Clay in front of teammates.
    “My wife turned to me and said, ‘Do coaches really talk to players like that?’” Dierdorf relayed, by phone. “I said, ‘Every day.’ It’s one thing if that happens in the meeting room and the only people that see it are the coaches and the players. But when it’s on national television, it’s embarrassing.
    “You couldn’t get me within 10 miles of Hard Knocks if I were a coach. I’m sorry. That’s not conducive to building a team. I’m a believer in: What you see here and what you do here – let it stay here.”
    Players obviously aren’t happy about being subjected to scathing criticism on Hard Knocks, but no Dolphins player has complained publicly.
    “Who knows if it’s a scar that doesn’t heal?” Jimmy Johnson asked of players being lit into by coaches on national TV. “I would not have done Hard Knocks.”
    Said CBS’ Rich Gannon: “Would Sherman want to have that out there? No. The kid [Egnew] has to answer to his parents. It’s not an ideal situation. But you get what you signed up for.”
    Said Gruden: “Personnel conversations, what goes on in the practice field is nobody’s business. It’s tremendously entertaining, but it’s not for me.”
    Meanwhile, what kind of impression is coach Joe Philbin making on viewers?
    Johnson declined to answer that, but Dierdorf said, “What I see is promising. He doesn’t look like he rides the emotional rollercoaster.”
    Said Gannon: “I’m really impressed. He’s a steadying, calming influence. He’s not a guy that’s going to overreact.”
    But CBS’ Shannon Sharpe took issue with how Philbin handled Chad Johnson’s release. “He was saying, ‘It’s just not working out,’” Sharpe said off the air. “I’m still not sure he was cut!
    “Philbin seemed very fidgety, very uncomfortable, with that aspect of the job. Some coaches are better than others with that. I don’t know if he was afraid that Chad might do something to him.”
    Sharpe said when Baltimore released him, general manager Ozzie Newsome did it in a more straight-forward way, and Sharpe appreciated that. “He said, ‘We drafted Todd Heap. We’re moving in another direction. We will release you tomorrow.’”
    Philbin was more to-the-point when he scolded Daniel Thomas for tardiness on Tuesday’s episode.
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Wow....coaches talk harshly to players...who knew?
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Chest Rockwell is my hero

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Dirty Jersey
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Um, telling Chad he was being cut and and why isnt straightforward enough Shannon? Perhaps he should have written on a dry erase board.. "Chad, we are releasing you, here is why.. 1. 2. 3."
    I believe any man's finest hour - his greatest fulfillment to all he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle...Victorious

Quote Quote  

4. -4
    SUPERFAN

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Homestead, FL.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Everyone has an opinion........ It all comes down to W's and L's, If we win, Philbin is a genious. If we Lose Philbin (Insert crticism)
    FINS OR DIE!!!!!!

Want-Goodell to be Impeached.
    Follow me on on Twitter www.twitter.com/FinFanChubby

In psychology, Stockholm Syndrome is an apparently paradoxical psychological phenomenon in which hostages express empathy and have positive feelings towards their captors, sometimes to the point of defending them. "[6]
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    NYC FIN FAN

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Astoria, NY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Egnew need be less concerned about how he looks in a meeting and more concerned with stepping up to his drafted spot. He has sucked so far and isn't doing anything to make this team. Of course it's embarrasing but as a player you need to be able to put distractions out of your mind and focus on what's important. And what's important for him is stepping up and making this team. He probably has a slot locked up as the 3rd rounder, but that won't last more than a year. This coaching staff has been around championship caliber teams and won't settle for mediocre players with mental lapses and no confidence.
    "They'd like to get past that yellow line."
    -John Madden Aug 8, 2005. (HOF Game)
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Steamboat Springs
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Old mush mouth trying to keep himself in the lime light. boogity boogity, flappity flappity flap..........what did he just say?

Our coach will get the players he wants, eventually. This is NOT Philbins team. But it will be in time. Then we will know.

Reshad "GET IT ON" Jones
    gettin it on!
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Concerning Chad Johnson: Yes, Shannon, anyone would have to be utterly dense to not recognize that Chad is emotionally unstable and rides his feelings very tightly. The guy struck me as being bi-polar... and the gig in Miami seemed like it might be very important to him... almost sentimental. Johnson took it surprisingly well when he was released.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Misery Loves Company

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Kentucky
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Rebel AllianceSuperman logoXbox LogoPlaystation LogoSnakes!
    lol Op is a piller of postivity today.

Quote Quote  

9. -9
    ihaveprettyfeet

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Calgary Alberta
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by FishTank View Post
    Concerning Chad Johnson: Yes, Shannon, anyone would have to be utterly dense to not recognize that Chad is emotionally unstable and rides his feelings very tightly. The guy struck me as being bi-polar... and the gig in Miami seemed like it might be very important to him... almost sentimental. Johnson took it surprisingly well when he was released.
    Exactly what I ws thinking Philbin was wondering which Chad he would be speaking to
    C. Patterson gets indefinitely suspended for "not showing up" and Buttfumble got a raise for "not showing up" - go figure how the JESTS world works?
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    U made the pudding but forgot the proof.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Thanks / No Thanks
    It's one thing to embarrass a player.. it is another thing entirely to rip a player when he DESERVES it.. Egnew deserved it. In that case Sherman was speaking the truth, albeit in a brutal way. Criticism is a motivational tool... You want to see how the player responds... Does he go in his shell? or does he get angry and try to shut the coach up by trying harder or getting better..

Do JJ, Gruden, Gannon or Dierdorf actually think people don't know this?

Football coaches are notorious for screaming until they are hoarse... But when you scream all day people just tune you out.. Personally I like Philbin's approach... the quiet expectations... When Philbin goes off, believe me the team will take notice... it is a good approach.
    Quote Quote