Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mike Sherman : "Tannehill does not need to change his release point."

1. -1
    Winner Under Construction

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Atlanta
    Thanks / No Thanks

Interesting Mike Sherman : "Tannehill does not need to change his release point."

Tannehill had 19 passes tipped or batted down last year at Texas A&M, eight of which resulted in interceptions. But Sherman, who coached Texas A&M before joining the Dolphins, insisted Monday that only three of those 19 were Tannehill’s fault.
    Pro Football Weekly’s draft preview noted Tannehill’s “release point often drops low, resulting in too many batted passes.” But Sherman said Tannehill doesn’t need to change his release point. “It’s something we’re looking at hard and checking where he’s putting his eyes,” Sherman said. “J.J. Watt has a history of knocking balls down. It’s something he’s going to have to work through, and he will. He will be much better this week. He hasn’t had a problem with it in practice.”

Read more here:
    http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/09/11/2996027/lack-of-scoring-a-serious-concern.html

The superior man blames himself. The inferior man blames others.

- Don Shula

Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lexington, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I was thinking about this because you know if his balls were being batted down in practice Omar Kelly would have been beating his chest saying I told you so. So either our D-lineman don't practice this technique or the O-line does a better job of creating passing lanes in practice...and I think it's the former and not the latter. Either way J.J. Watt is well known for batting down balls and he and Jamison were the only ones to bat down Tannehill's passes. I do expect the Raiders to try and do the same though.

I think we need to use more intermediate passes and a 5 step drop to prevent so many batted balls. I'm guessing Hartline starts this week opposite Bess and that will help.

Tannehill will get it fixed but it's not going to happen in a one week period.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Toronto Canada
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I'm not too concerned. There was no secret that Ryan most likely would not be 100% ready to start week 1 which is why Gerrard was brought in. The talent is there it just needs time. A true go to wr would do wonders also
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I noticed he had a low release point in college too. Like Tebow I doubt it will ever change. But at 6'4 and with that speed and intangibles, I expect Tanny to be a top 5 QB in the near future.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Kissimmee,FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    We all know that what you do in your first game ever in te NFL is what you're going to do in every game you ever play. Luck had 4 INT's so that means he's going to have 4 more this week ad the week after he'll have 4 more. Just like Manning had 3 int's in his first game ever and after that we all knew that he was going to be no good. Any QB who ever has some int's in his first game will never be any good. You need at least 3 TD's in your first game ever in order to be any good.We might as well trade RT for a 7th round pick cause he's done here. Never mind that the oline didn't keep ad d-line off his face, it is all his fault. That pass to Hartline was just a fluke. The only thing that matters is those 2 batted balls. So stop defending the rookie QB.

Ozzy rules!!
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Life is what we make it.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Atlanta via Exit 9 - New Jersey
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Just because they aren't getting batted down in practice, doesn't mean it's not an issue. AJ Duhe batted balls down, JT was good at it and we've even seen Tony McDaniel do it. I think Ryan can get this fixed though. As a competitor, he has to be embarrassed by that performance.

Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Winner Under Construction

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Atlanta
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by datruth55 View Post
    I was thinking about this because you know if his balls were being batted down in practice Omar Kelly would have been beating his chest saying I told you so. So either our D-lineman don't practice this technique or the O-line does a better job of creating passing lanes in practice...and I think it's the former and not the latter. Either way J.J. Watt is well known for batting down balls and he and Jamison were the only ones to bat down Tannehill's passes. I do expect the Raiders to try and do the same though.

I think we need to use more intermediate passes and a 5 step drop to prevent so many batted balls. I'm guessing Hartline starts this week opposite Bess and that will help.

Tannehill will get it fixed but it's not going to happen in a one week period.
    Agreed. It could be that our linemen just failed to execute proper blocking technique on one or two of those plays. Also, Tannehill might need to be more aware of where effective passing lanes are. Maybe his timing is just a little off? (shrugs) You know Mike Sherman and co. will analyze what happened to death this week, and fix it. And you are right, these are the kinds of issues that take a while to eliminate. But, they are fixable.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hopefully this is just "coachspeak" and Sherman can actually see there is a problem here.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lauderville, Florilina
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ATL_PHIN_FAN View Post
    Tannehill had 19 passes tipped or batted down last year at Texas A&M, eight of which resulted in interceptions. But Sherman, who coached Texas A&M before joining the Dolphins, insisted Monday that only three of those 19 were Tannehill’s fault.
    Pro Football Weekly’s draft preview noted Tannehill’s “release point often drops low, resulting in too many batted passes.” But Sherman said Tannehill doesn’t need to change his release point. “It’s something we’re looking at hard and checking where he’s putting his eyes,” Sherman said. “J.J. Watt has a history of knocking balls down. It’s something he’s going to have to work through, and he will. He will be much better this week. He hasn’t had a problem with it in practice.”

Read more here:
    http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/09/11/2996027/lack-of-scoring-a-serious-concern.html

Exactly what I said during and after the game when some dudes said those were fluke interceptions lol.

Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    kind of a concern given that Mike Sherman couldnt fix this problem at Texas A&M yet he plans to fix it now in the NFL?..makes no sense
    Quote Quote