Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

Thread: 2008 Draft Re-Do

1. -1
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

2008 Draft Re-Do

I thought it might be fun to talk about the last few draft, with re-do possibilities. I really don't want this to be a negative post as it is so easy for me to sit here and pick in hindsight. For each changed pick, I took someone who was picked after the Dolphins selection in that round. So here it goes.

1. Matt Ryan, QB Boston College
    2. Jordy Nelson, WR Kansas State
    2. Kendall Langford, DE Hampton (moved him up a round)
    3. Jermichael Finley, TE Texas
    4. Carl Nicks, G Nebraska
    6. Josh Morgan, Wr. Virginia Tech.
    6. Lex Hilliard, RB Montana
    6. Pierre Garcon, WR Mount Union
    7. Demetrius Bell, T Northwestern State

Now, I don't see Jake Long as a mistake but I think the franchise would be further along had they picked Matt Ryan. I do understand that the Dolphins offensive line was a mess in the 2007 season, most likely the worst line in football. Vernon Carey was the best player on that unit and was out of position playing left tackle. To his credit, somehow Ronnie Brown managed a 5.0 yards per carry that year. He might have actually developed into the type of back we expected with a better line.

Anyway, once again easy for me to make the picks now. But, man can you imagine having Jordy Nelson, Jermichael Finley and Pierre Garcon? Not to mention Carl Nicks and Demetrius Bell?
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Its been a fad lately to talk about the 2008 draft, I really dont know why. Im very happy with Jack Long, and im okay with us drafting Henne even thou he didnt work out. Like you said our OLine was a complete mess and it was not ideal to bring in a young QB with out respectable blocking. My disappointment in that draft was drafting Phillip Merling, instead of Desean Jackson and Calais Cambell.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I think the 2009 draft is what hurt us the most as well as the 2010 draft. I wanted Clay Matthews instead of V. Davis, and wasting a pick on Pat White and Pat Turner while missing out on WR Mike Wallace and Knox.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Misery Loves Company

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Kentucky
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Rebel AllianceSuperman logoXbox LogoPlaystation LogoSnakes!
    I don't know that you can what if an entire draft. You change any one pick and the rest of the draft changes for nearly every team. you wanna take matt ryan? good. but beyond him you can't think any of those other players would be available.
    "I didn't feel like we had to score," Tannehill said. "I had the mindset we were going to score."

Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by twix2500 View Post
    I think the 2009 draft is what hurt us the most as well as the 2010 draft. I wanted Clay Matthews instead of V. Davis, and wasting a pick on Pat White and Pat Turner while missing out on WR Mike Wallace and Knox.
    Yeah, I remember being upset that Miami passed on Clay Matthews. He was the guy I wanted there and just made so much sense. Yes, the secondary needed help and Vontae Davis looked like he might work out but that was a big miss in my book.

---------- Post added at 11:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:56 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Wildbill3 View Post
    I don't know that you can what if an entire draft. You change any one pick and the rest of the draft changes for nearly every team. you wanna take matt ryan? good. but beyond him you can't think any of those other players would be available.
    That's a good point. Honestly, I do like Jake Long and understand the pick. Now, if Ryan Tannehill turns out as good as I think he will we should be okay. And it's easy to look back and plug in the best players after the point. Just seems like we missed on a lot.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SF Dolphin Fan View Post
    I thought it might be fun to talk about the last few draft, with re-do possibilities. I really don't want this to be a negative post as it is so easy for me to sit here and pick in hindsight. For each changed pick, I took someone who was picked after the Dolphins selection in that round. So here it goes.

Now, I don't see Jake Long as a mistake but I think the franchise would be further along had they picked Matt Ryan. I do understand that the Dolphins offensive line was a mess in the 2007 season, most likely the worst line in football. Vernon Carey was the best player on that unit and was out of position playing left tackle. To his credit, somehow Ronnie Brown managed a 5.0 yards per carry that year. He might have actually developed into the type of back we expected with a better line.

Anyway, once again easy for me to make the picks now. But, man can you imagine having Jordy Nelson, Jermichael Finley and Pierre Garcon? Not to mention Carl Nicks and Demetrius Bell?
    Pretty nice but why did you keep lex hilliard
    draft Peyton hillis. and Steve Johnson wr would have been a steal. Just shows how bad we really missed on some players in that draft.
    When death smiles upon you, the Infantry man smiles back. WV says Im not a patriot and Jeff Ireland is a Boss so it must be true.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SF Dolphin Fan View Post

When we chose Long I understood he was the safer pick but in retrospect I think it was the wrong pick. I wont slam them for taking Long though. i even liked the Merling pick at the time and thought Henne was a decent pick. Did not like the Langford pick based on where I thought he should go but did not think he was a bad prospect. Shawn Murphy I truly hated this pick , had him rated as like a 7th rounder.
    Was pretty mad though that we passed on Desean Jackson would have rather had him than Merling. Carl nicks seemed to be a much better prospect as did Collins than Murphy . Hated the Parmalee pick was always a big fan of Ahytna Rubin who has been a stud NFL player, alot of people on the board wanted Paul hubbard from wisconsin. Donald Thomas seemed a good sleeper pick, showed alot of potential in training camp and was named a hall of famer by some after one nfl game and then was never the same. Lex Hilliard also seemed an ok sleeper pick but just seemed to have no position in the nfl. Lional Dotson well for a 7th round pick he has done pretty good to stay in nfl. The funny thing is we give our gm so much credit for signing Bess as an undrafted free agent but he passed over him in the draft multiple times. we basically got really lucky because since we had little depth at wr Bess chose wisely on what team to come to.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Bill Parcells took the safe bet in Jake Long
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Jake Long was the right pick for us. What has Matty Ice accomplished despite the awesome receiving corps he has in Atlanta. Let that draft go.
    Quote Quote