Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

Thread: Week 2 Observations

1. -1
    Owner of the Palace of Wisdom

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Harrisburg, PA
    Thanks / No Thanks

Week 2 Observations

What a difference a week makes huh? The big question going into the week was how would Ryan Tannehill would respond after the week 1 beating he took from Houston, and in many cases the fanbase as well. Big thumbs up to Tannehill who really didn't make one bad throw against Oakland. Thing that impressed me the most was how Tanny responded and played after the beating he took in the second quarter.

Which brings me to the OL. In the chat and on the board people were really giving it to Jake Long for struggling. Re-watching the game he had a bad few drives in the 2nd quarter, but was otherwise solid. His biggest issue (and I don't know why he was doing it) was the same issue Jonathan Martin had against Carolina in the preseason; he was kicking out to far as though preparing for a speed rush, and the DE took the inside lane. Jake was not the only part of the OL that struggled in the second quarter. The OL didn't get much of a push which also resulted in a lot of negative plays. Luckily adjustments were made, but more on that later.

The 2nd quarter struggles for another week were concerning, and again, in the chat I saw people complaining about Philbin just going into the half when we had 40 seconds left and 3 timeouts. And not to call people out, but even a few mods and VIP posters were comparing Philbin to Sparano at half. With the struggles, the team was having I have no problem with going into the half to calm the team down and regroup.

The adjustments the coaching staff made in the second half were good as well. Big difference from this regime and the last. There were many times I felt Tony came into the game with a solid opening gameplan, but when it was time to make changes into what we had to do, that's where he struggled. His adjustment normally ended up as go to the Wildcat. Philbin and company changed the blocking scheme a bit, and the defensive changed coverage just a tad. Very nicely done.

Star of the game was Reggie Bush. First half there were several times where Reggie resorted back to his bad habits of dancing too much rather where he would end up either losing yards or getting short gains due to dancing and trying to do too much rather than just taking what was there. Second half he got north a lot quicker and ended up having a great game. Lamar Miller also looked good in relief for Reggie. Did a good job hitting the hole, hopefully he can continue this and become a constant weapon. The RBs performances show the OL does deserve credit. While the pass blocking scheme does have some issues, Coach Turner has done a great job getting the run blocking in order.

Brian Hartline showed once again that he is an asset to have. Sure those comebacks aren't going to be there every week, but Hartline has shown the ability to get himself a little space from CBs and give his QB enough room to get a throw into space. Hartline's emergence should open things up a little for Bess and Fasano as well. We still need another person or 2 to step up in the passing game.

Also have to give a shout out to Javorskie Lane. When he converted to FB his senior year under Mike Sherman, he was horrible. The performance I saw from him last night was the best lead blocking I've seen from one of our FBs in a long time; and that includes Lousaka Polite's 2009 season. The best came during Miller's TD run where Lane cleared the FB completely out of the picture.

I liked the defensive gameplan from Kevin Coyle. I can see where his defense will frustrate some fans as there are gonna be short passes open that can result in bigger gains, but for the most part, the coverage is much better than it was under Nolan. It was also very frustrating to see the DL get so much pressure on Carson Palmer but were unable to get a sack most of the game. The pressure was encouraging however, as I do not forget how many times last year I saw a QB sit in a pocket for at least 10 seconds without even a threat of having to make a quick decision.

2 players who deserve a lot of credit are 2 guys who were often criticized last year; Reshad Jones and Koa Misi. Jones I kind of knew would do a lot better switching to SS. The decision to play him at FS last year was baffling as it took away his best attributes; which includes attacking the LOS. For the second week in a row Jones made a couple nice plays in the run game, as well as stopping some short passes from going for a first down. Misi also had another good game reading plays and stopping them from getting going. This included breaking off from a blitz on a screen and going out towards the RB. Unfortunately he was blocked, but still a good play. Misi is still a bit of a liability in coverage but he's probably been our best LB in the run game.

During the game, I thought Karlos Dansby was at fault for the long TD, but Dansby actually had a good game after re-watching it. Would have liked to have seen a better effort from him, but Chris Clemmons also made a poor decision and took himself out of the play.

Hats off to Nolan Carroll as well. Another guy the fanbase was ready to throw to the curb yesterday, but for 2 weeks he's done a solid job when called upon. Had a bogus PI called against him, but was otherwise good enough in coverage.

Final Conclusion? We are going in the right direction. We are not as bad as we looked at times against Houston, but we are not as good as we looked yesterday. That is not a slight at the team. We will win some games this year, and probably some of them will be games we have no business winning. The lack of talent at certain positions will come back and bite us at some points in the season while we will be able to hide them in other parts.
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Seer of Visions

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Weeki Wachee, Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Nolan Carroll was always a very talented player who needed to be developed. I think the lightbulb is starting to go on for him.
    Jay Fiedler can take his'n and lose to your'n.....or take your'n and lose to his'n.

Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Teddy Westside

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Wichita, Kansas
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Nailed it Chambers. I am wondering if Jake is having issues with switching to the zone scheme or his knee is acting up. Its hard to believe he could slip without a logical reason. Double the props to Jones and Carroll. Nolan has played well which was critical after trading Davis. Guess the staff knew what they were doing. The biggest liability on the defensive side is Clemons. Quite obviously they need to address this in the off season.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Sophisticated Redneck

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    out in the Ding Weeds
    Thanks / No Thanks
    You will never hear me compare Philbin to Sparano when it comes to football. Lol. Good notes and pretty much spot on.
    "I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally" ~ W.C. Fields

Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Agree with alot of your write up (great job). I am really happy and surprised at the lvl in which Misi is playing. He seems to have really taken the next step as a player. He was alll over the field yesterday against the run. Jones and Carrol both played well as did Odrick and Starks. I have to eat my words when it comes to Hartline too. I was one of the few people saying we sould consider moving on from him but he had a great game yesterday. Even have to say J.Martin had a decent game and seems to be getting more comfortable. He had a few mistakes but still did ok yesterday. The one big negative i saw yesterday was C.Clemons. God is he awful. The only decent play the raiders had all game was cuz he takes the worst angle at the RB and takes himself out of the play cuz he sucks. Im so tired of seeing him back there. Hopefully he can prove me wrong in the next few weeks but it seems the light hasnt turned on for him yet.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Aside from the interception I didn't think Jones played well at all, but maybe I need to rewatch the game to make that determination. Misi really has been a very nice surprise so far though, he was all over the field yesterday.
    My Offseason plan.... Get as many good football players as possible, The End.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Misery Loves Company

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Kentucky
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Rebel AllianceSuperman logoXbox LogoPlaystation LogoSnakes!
    I stand by my.... Jake long is not playing well and is not worth 12m plus this coming offseason. I could see the arguement that he's injured and it's dragging him down. However what season has jake long not played injured? I blame sparano for jakes downfall, that four game of the preseason was so important to the fans, and to the team for jake long to play in.

Finally I stand by my notion that you take every chance to score that you can. The jets are getting hammered on a lot of things today, another of which is the fact that they played sparano ball and had 2 timeouts, and 47 seconds and they had the ball at thier 31. What did they do? they handed off twice and went indoors. We weren't up by a landslide at the end of the second, we had 3 timeouts and instead of us getting the ball to start the 2nd half, the raiders did. In hindsight it doesn't seem like a big deal to the dolphins. why because we won. But if we'd lost, we'd look back at that decision to run off the clock as a major missed oppurtunity. Even if we didn't score, don't you think working on our two minute drill would've benifited the team down the road? are we really so good that we can skip an oppurtunity to work out some kinks and get better? Sorry, there were negatives and positives yesterday as you yourself mentioned, but choosing to sit on the ball instead of trying to get at least 3 more points was very sparano-like.

Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Why did it have to be snakes?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildbill3 View Post
    I stand by my.... Jake long is not playing well and is not worth 12m plus this coming offseason. I could see the arguement that he's injured and it's dragging him down. However what season has jake long not played injured? I blame sparano for jakes downfall, that four game of the preseason was so important to the fans, and to the team for jake long to play in.

Finally I stand by my notion that you take every chance to score that you can. The jets are getting hammered on a lot of things today, another of which is the fact that they played sparano ball and had 2 timeouts, and 47 seconds and they had the ball at thier 31. What did they do? they handed off twice and went indoors. We weren't up by a landslide at the end of the second, we had 3 timeouts and instead of us getting the ball to start the 2nd half, the raiders did. In hindsight it doesn't seem like a big deal to the dolphins. why because we won. But if we'd lost, we'd look back at that decision to run off the clock as a major missed oppurtunity. Even if we didn't score, don't you think working on our two minute drill would've benifited the team down the road? are we really so good that we can skip an oppurtunity to work out some kinks and get better? Sorry, there were negatives and positives yesterday as you yourself mentioned, but choosing to sit on the ball instead of trying to get at least 3 more points was very sparano-like.
    We were down 10-7 when that happened and I thought it was a good idea at the time. Still do.

The pass blocking was atrocious in that second quarter and Tannehill was just getting hammered. Philbin decided to take it into halftime and adjust the protection scheme rather than risk having his rookie QB get blindsided again. Normally I would agree with you, but with Tannehill taking the pounding he was, I'm 100% with Philbin on that one.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Misery Loves Company

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Kentucky
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Rebel AllianceSuperman logoXbox LogoPlaystation LogoSnakes!
    Quote Originally Posted by registeredguy View Post
    We were down 10-7 when that happened and I thought it was a good idea at the time. Still do.

The pass blocking was atrocious in that second quarter and Tannehill was just getting hammered. Philbin decided to take it into halftime and adjust the protection scheme rather than risk having his rookie QB get blindsided again. Normally I would agree with you, but with Tannehill taking the pounding he was, I'm 100% with Philbin on that one.
    I believe you when you say you agree with the decision. I think it's easier to agree with it since we won the game. but if we lose to the raiders, wasting an oppurtunity to tie the game before half time does not make sense. We'll have to agree to disagree then.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Gave up alot of yards in the air yesterday. Need to tighten up in the secondary. Run defense was amazing though!
    Quote Quote